Aug 17, 2008, 08:42 PM
Fly Slow!
Thread OP
Discussion

Star Trek Micros

Inspired by this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899200, thought I'd share with you folks here. Can't wait for Tyco so I wanted to build my own Star Trek Micros.

I was a young kid during the Gemini flights, Apollo moon landings, and Star Trek. I ate Space Food sticks and drank Tang (any of you remember those?) . My young mind was conducive to anything space related especially Star Trek. I guess I haven't changed much .

If there are any Trekkies or Non-Trekkies out there that want to build and fly Micro Star Trek based ships, here's the thread.

This is my Enterprise (Wrath of Khan variant) soon to be powered by AA gear (sorry to be redundant, many of you have probably seen this in the Micro RTF forum). Airframe as shown is 6.6 grams, with gear AUW should be at or just under 17 grams.

Video of the prototype: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900819

Rob
Last edited by Robster; Aug 17, 2008 at 09:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2008, 09:37 PM
Holy crap thats sooooooo cool!!!!!! I'm a Trekkie and i say that rocks!!! But isn't that NCC1701-B

Greg
Aug 17, 2008, 09:54 PM
Fly Slow!
Thread OP
Thanks Greg! But, nope, it's actually the refit of the original NCC-1701, or later designated NCC-1701-A. In Wrath of Khan they refitted the Enterprise but kept the NCC-1701 designation. A short time later (I think) it was designated NCC-1701-A. The 'B' version is a whole new Excelsior class version, totally different.
Last edited by Robster; Aug 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Aug 18, 2008, 07:01 AM
I stand corrected! You know this could be a whole new field for micros.The new "Sci-Fi" Class.....all models based on movies with an emphasis on space! Hmmmm...could be fun and challenging!!! Lets take it to the polls and vote on it!!!!!

Greg
Aug 18, 2008, 10:01 AM
foamanologist
Heck, I'd be down to try! Lets make a day of it! Cool idea....!

Matt
Aug 18, 2008, 10:43 AM
Micro Addict!!!
Robster,

Excellent job on the graphics.....Looks great!

Greg,

Sounds good to me!
There are some great ideas over in Foamies(scratchbuilt). SGTalon's.."Summer of Space Series"
Here's his blog. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=78981

They're not Micros, But they could be scaled down!!

What do you think??

Wolf
Last edited by AlphaWolf; Aug 18, 2008 at 01:06 PM.
Aug 18, 2008, 10:49 AM
Do i hear a cook-up brewin'?

Greg
Aug 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
Honey,just one more thing
printed up plans, gonna make one tonight and install starscreamer gear. What fun it looks .Bud
Aug 18, 2008, 12:21 PM
B A bay B E be B I bicky bi
thats awesome Rob! i grew up watching the original star trek series with my grandfather, but turned into more of a Next Generation guy...the 1701-D has some nice lines!

a cook off would be fun, and would certainly turn out some cool looking flyers.

good luck with the project.

nick
Aug 18, 2008, 07:39 PM
Honey,just one more thing
Getting there, will finish at lunch time tomorrow. Nice design, goes together nicely.Bud
Aug 18, 2008, 09:49 PM
Fly Slow!
Thread OP
Thanks for all of the nice comments!

AlphaWolf - SGTalon has some really cool stuff that should scale down nicely. Thanks for the link.

Greg - You are the cookup meister! Brew away my friend! I'm always ready for a cookup. It's getting to be that time of year.

Bud - Lookin real good! The Starscreamer gear should work good. The CG could get tricky on this. I found out that I had to use .05"/1mm Durobatics for the tail wing/nacelles to lighten up the tail enough to get it to balance with stock AA gear without having to add nose weight. However, if you end up tail heavy, the Starscreamer motors are more powerful and you should be able to add nose weight if needed and it should fly fine. It looks like you're using 3mm foam for the tail wing, which should be much stronger and maybe handle better, but is heavier. A Durobatics tail section is light, but is a little flimsy and floppy. What does your airframe weigh?

Nick - Yeah, I've been eyeing the 1701-D for my next project. May have to take up Alphawolf's advice and scale down SGTalons' plans for it.

Rob
Last edited by Robster; Aug 18, 2008 at 11:03 PM.
Aug 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
Jets are my drug of choice!
Im sure this airframe can take more weight just fine. I enlarged it to a 14" disk and used two xpv motors on it. It is a full three channel with elevons i have a video posted on the original thread that is linked in the first post. kris
Aug 18, 2008, 11:21 PM
Fly Slow!
Thread OP
Thanks for chiming in kris!

It's a magnificent flyer here's kris's video:
Rc Enterprise (0 min 38 sec)

Rob
Aug 19, 2008, 06:43 AM
the silhouette of that in the dawn sky looks spectacular!!
Aug 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
Jets are my drug of choice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torx
the silhouette of that in the dawn sky looks spectacular!!
thanks thats why i was thinking about making it alot bigger lol

Quick Reply