May 09, 2008, 12:13 AM
"It's a Quad" :O
Thread OP
Build Log

RCSuperpowers F-117

2nd build with details pics at post #70

I ordered the PDF planes from Dave and cut this F-117 out and had it built in one night.

HS-56HB servos, 6x5e prop, 1600KV motor, Castle Creations Phoenix 25 Esc, 1300mAh 20C pack.

8OZ AUW

15OZ Thrust

Power Up
Last edited by thewz; May 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2008, 12:26 AM
Thread OP
Here it is with the guts exposed.
Eclipse Elevon Mix

I plan to add magnets to hold down the cover.
Last edited by thewz; May 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM.
May 18, 2008, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Got to take her out for the first time today.... What a fun fast plane! The elevator feels a little mushy even at speed but I still had plent of control. I wonder if I add elevons to the tail...it would be in the direct prop wash so just a little input would make a big difference or maybe some TV?

It flew right out of my hand just a few clicks of up elevator and I was in business. High-speed turns and rolls are uneventful. Low speed hi AOA is nice and clean with little wing rock. It will fly at 1/5 power at about 1 foot off the ground and make nice gentle turns. Any aggressive input will slow the plane and make a quick plane ground reunion.

I found that if I cut the throttle the plane will pitch forward and roll right. I think I don’t have the empennage installed in correct alignment so when the prop wash is cut the tail rebounds and pushes the plane around. I’ll get a gauge on it and make corrections as needed.
May 18, 2008, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
I'll get some better pics today and I am going to start on another build using 6MM Depron from RCFoam. This was built from depapered elmers foam board which is a little less than 1/4 inch and is pretty brittle.

Again what a great plane!
May 19, 2008, 04:38 AM
Just one more flight...
Hey alright, sounds like you are getting it dialed in! Great work!
May 19, 2008, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Dave, this is a great plane and very low parts count to get a pretty scale llike look!

I was nervous on the first launch but after a few seconds I was just having fun!
May 19, 2008, 09:11 PM
GO FAST OR GO HOME!!!!!!!
thewz it looks good.
May 19, 2008, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by $$J3ft$$
thewz it looks good.
Thank you. The next one will be made of true 6mm depron without the KFM step on bottom. I'm looking for more speed....
May 19, 2008, 09:51 PM
ur welcome and you that should make it alest a lil faster right? i was looking at this kit befor i saw one on parkjets.com and downloaded the plans. i just hope mine flys its alot of hard work.
May 19, 2008, 10:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by $$J3ft$$
ur welcome and you that should make it alest a lil faster right? i was looking at this kit befor i saw one on parkjets.com and downloaded the plans. i just hope mine flys its alot of hard work.
I got the plans from Dave at RCSuperPowers for $9. There are only a few parts to glue and cutout and you still get a good looking good flying model.

If the free plans version doesn't fly well I would recommend getting this one from Dave.
May 19, 2008, 10:46 PM
yea thats what i tought too. but it should
May 20, 2008, 02:06 PM
I bought the 9$ plans also. I have not had a chance to build it yet. Im going to go a little further and bevel all the angles for a clean look.

The free plans are nice but alot more complicated and I read a bear to get fine tuned, but is way better looking.

I'm going to build the RCSuperpowers version because its so easy to build and fly.
May 20, 2008, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi
I bought the 9$ plans also. I have not had a chance to build it yet. Im going to go a little further and bevel all the angles for a clean look.

The free plans are nice but alot more complicated and I read a bear to get fine tuned, but is way better looking.

I'm going to build the RCSuperpowers version because its so easy to build and fly.
I'm doing the nice bevels on the new one as well.

This version both looks good and flies great!
May 21, 2008, 04:05 AM
Cant you feel the freedom
What did you guys with the RCPowers plans think of the assembly instructions on page 2 and the simplicity of the plans? Do you have any suggestions for improvement?
May 21, 2008, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyPro67
What did you guys with the RCPowers plans think of the assembly instructions on page 2 and the simplicity of the plans? Do you have any suggestions for improvement?
The plans are very easy to follow and the photo references are very helpful. I did find that I needed to angle the slots some to allow the upper fuse and ducts to sit correctly but it's not critical. After my first build I am also going to angle the bottoms of the fuse and ducts themselves to allow more contact with the wing and have a cleaner look. I’m also going to make a small guide to go between the vertical tails to keep them in alignment with each other and therefore keep the empennage truer.

Quick Reply