Mar 29, 2007, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

E-flite Jenny

It just arrived at the LHS and I couldn't resist. I've been flying the Tigermoth for a long time-this looks like it will make for a nice change of pace in a similar size model. Will be using the 250 outrunner. Here are a few pics to start.

-Jon
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2007, 03:24 PM
Member 120mph Club
jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2007, 03:25 PM
Member 120mph Club
oh yeah... looks nice... whats the specs??
Mar 29, 2007, 03:36 PM
Timelord
Been waiting for a thread for this one. Look forward to hearing how it flies compared to the Pico Tiger Moth.
Mar 29, 2007, 03:55 PM
Thread OP
Here are a few more out of the box pics.

- Elevator and rudder are pre-hinged
- Includes mini ez type connectors
- No decals to apply

-Jon
Mar 29, 2007, 03:58 PM
Always An Old F-4 Crewchief
Jon,
How much is made of foam? Hard to tell which parts might be balsa or ply.
Latest blog entry: The first F-4 I crewed.
Mar 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS
oh yeah... looks nice... whats the specs??
ws 32"
length 26"
wing area 304 sq in
auw 7.5-8 oz

It should fly very similar to a moth given the specs.

It is should be a faster and easier build than the moth-no folded wing to set up for example. If you want a customized plane an unpainted moth is probably a better bet. Also none of those flimsy plastic struts and cabanes.

The wings, tail and fuselage are foam. Cabanes, struts and tail skid are light ply. The cowl and cockpit cover is plastic.

-Jon
Mar 29, 2007, 04:48 PM
Timelord
Could you post a picture of the front of the plane where the motor mounts?

The Pico Moth has 288 sq in of wing area and is about the same weight, should fly great.
Mar 29, 2007, 04:50 PM
Yikes, I was just at Horizons site looking at that Jenny. I just got my first E-flite kit (ultimate fx) and was very impressed by the quality of parts and the careful packaging, I dont expect the Jenny to be any less.

Keep the pics and flight reports coming.

mj147
Mar 29, 2007, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
I am using the 250 motor and the e-flite 10 amp brushless esc. One thing to be aware of is the the default setting of this esc for lvc is 3S (9V).

You do need to go into the programming mode and change it to 2S. Very easy to do.

-Jon
Mar 29, 2007, 06:48 PM
Thread OP
Here are few pics of the front end. Cowl comes off after taking out two screws. The motor cage is premounted. Motor mounts real quick as shown with some right thrust built into the set-up.

-Jon
Mar 29, 2007, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
One nice touch is they include some rigging wire and the struts are pre-drilled for rigging it up. I don't know how scale it is-may need to add more rigging. The instructions imply if you are going to be barnstorming it is a good idea to put in the wire.

-Jon
Mar 29, 2007, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
After powering up the motor with the e-flite esc I noticed it was fairly uneven especially at higher throttle. Has anyone else noticed this? I switched to a phx 10 and the throttle response was much smoother. So, I will go with the phx 10 - it's also a little lighter.

Instructions mention using 2 cell 480 or 730 packs. They state the 730 pack will make the model slightly nose heavy but it doesn't affect flight much. Going with the lighter esc will also help when I use the larger pack for a more extended flight.

OK gotta start building-want to maiden on Saturday or Sunday depending on wind and weather.

-Jon
Mar 29, 2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Mar 30, 2007, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
The cowl tolerance is really tight-I needed to dremel out the opening a little in order to prevent any motor rubbing. The only way to have prevented this would be to mount the cowl a little offset and create a bulge. I didn't want that so out came the dremel for a quick trim.

Quick Reply