Jan 12, 2007, 03:41 PM
Dismembered Member...
Thread OP

getting together a group buy for A123's - GTA (Canada)

Hey gang:

I've been getting frustrated trying to pick up a pair of the DeWalt packs on E-bay - one of you keeps out-bidding me

I figered if we got a few people together we could probably get a better price on these, and a break on shipping as well.

Anyone interested?

Brad
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
Southern Pride
As the best price seems to be approx.$12 per cell and some have tried to get better pricing on orders of 1000 or more with no luck ,how is a group buy going to be better than DeWalt prices?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=18

See post here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5098571
perhaps a PM to poster will get you somewhere.

See post #9 for A123 Racing's Official Responce.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 12, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
Jan 12, 2007, 07:53 PM
Dismembered Member...
Thread OP
Charles: The idea is to hit a few of the Ebay retailers and get the best price on say a dozen or so of the DeWalt packs. We get dinged extra for taxes and shipping, and one of the Ebay guys might give us a price break on an order of more than a pack or 2.

I know darned well that DeWalt won't deal direct with us.....

Brad
Jan 12, 2007, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
As the best price seems to be approx.$12 per cell and some have tried to get better pricing on orders of 1000 or more with no luck ,how is a group buy going to be better than DeWalt prices?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=18

See post here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5098571
perhaps a PM to poster will get you somewhere.

See post #9 for A123 Racing's Official Responce.

Charles
I see nothing wrong with continually trying. How do you think Wal-Mart got where it is today? Obviously, someone must paying a lot less than $10/cell if they're being sold on eBay for that much.
Jan 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arx_n_sparx
Charles: The idea is to hit a few of the Ebay retailers and get the best price on say a dozen or so of the DeWalt packs. We get dinged extra for taxes and shipping, and one of the Ebay guys might give us a price break on an order of more than a pack or 2.

I know darned well that DeWalt won't deal direct with us.....

Brad
Why not try and work directly with a DeWalt distributor?
Jan 12, 2007, 08:12 PM
I just bought a pack for $105 shipped (buy it now) on ebay.
Jan 13, 2007, 02:31 AM
Heh. Must've missed that one.

There isn't much supply on ebay for these batts right now. Seems the larger sellers can get upwards of $120 BEFORE SHIPPING. I've seen em punched through $135. You have to hunt around through the smaller guys and even then the price is way higher than you see posted here. Even then most sit for days over $90 with typical sniping to push it significantly higher at the end.

Average price on the last 20 or so sales I checked was $118. There are some higher and some lower. Shipping from $12 through $25. Cheaper if you have the luxury of buying from US only sellers.

There seems to be a little room to buy the tool combos and split them for resale, but even then the margins were thin. 8-10% on average. With the very savvy buyers doing better. Maybe there are some that have all the ebay power tools. I'm using small data sets.

All those 2 packs for $80 shipped seem long gone. I've seen few under 90 and literally track and snipe every reasonable listing. Sure hope they come back.

I'd be down for some type of group buy. Ebay is a lot more hassle than I'm used to. But the magic will be in getting the price closer to market than MAP.

Mike
Jan 13, 2007, 08:18 AM
It's not hard to find deals in the US with US only shipping, however finding someone who will ship to Canada is a different story.

Search ebay for these two buy it now auctions ... several dewalts shipped for 100 each

170066303532, 230077420114

OH! if you buy them send me a finders fee or a battery
Jan 13, 2007, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lkn
several dewalts shipped for 100 each
OH! if you buy them send me a finders fee or a battery
Shh! That first one would be the source I found yesterday. 3 of the 10 now belong to me. At this moment, 7 remain. Now here's hoping to a speedy shipping and as described product.
Jan 13, 2007, 01:32 PM
Yep. Saw those too. It's a ton more work to find deals that will ship out of the US. The ones with limited payment terms i.e 'money order only' usually go cheaper as well.

A US address for us up North makes life a lot easier. Most of the commercial forwarders are pretty expensive. Maybe someone that uses one will chime in. I don't do enough ebaying to have one, but if I was serious about it I'd definately work something out whether with a friend, or a service.

Hooking up with someone in the US might be all it would take, Brad.

Btw, one of the above auctions above supposedly ship to Canada for $5 more. Not a bad deal on a buy it now. Info is buried in his store terms I missed it initially.

Mike
Last edited by mjws; Jan 13, 2007 at 01:38 PM.
Jan 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
Dismembered Member...
Thread OP
Well, I had one guy willing to ship 2 packs for $230, but I tried to get him down to $210 - he said no dice I just wish I could remember who it was. I've been writing stuff down now after that one.....

BRad
Jan 14, 2007, 04:34 PM
Brad

How about looking at a battery pool rather than full packs. For example I want only one or two 3s packs at this time and don't want to spend extra for a full pack. Perhaps offering to split packs would generate more interest.

Richard
Jan 14, 2007, 05:44 PM
My $105 Dewalt pack arrived Friday. Each cell reads 3.15v on my DVM. Yea!!!!

Quick Reply