Dec 07, 2005, 10:08 AM
cat herder

Mini 3d battery

Mine flies fine with e-tec 700's or even better with Thunderpower 730's.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2005, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d_Crazy
More than likely 3-6 weeks.

Tim

WOW, do I have bad timing or what!!??

How do I get on the list? And since you are making these, can I get one unpainted for the same price? It could save you a few minutes worth of work?

WOOD
Last edited by wood; Dec 09, 2005 at 10:59 PM. Reason: had to change e-mail notification to on
Dec 15, 2005, 01:27 AM
so how those minis comin 'long tim? haha, out of stock smack dab during the holidays, that cant be good. i had to re-glue some areas in the nose where i had a crash months ago and tore off the nose, after the repair, i can feel the added weight and forward CG. oh well, it still flies

i ordered a blade a few days ago from bluecor, well 3dhobbyshop, was hoping to get a mini along with it, but happens....well actually just had bad timing. it got accepted 2 days ago, still hasnt been shipped out . hoping snail mail will bring it by x-mas
Dec 17, 2005, 09:15 PM
Plane challenged
My mini made its first flight today. Of course with me being new to 3d, I couldn't fly that good but I'm starting to get the hang of it. This really is one cool little plane!
Dec 19, 2005, 07:36 PM
Plane challenged
UPDATE: not doing so good. The foam is thin and gets real brittle in the cold. The slightest crash and something breaks. I was hovering and wind knocked the plane onto its rudder tearing the tail clean off the fuse.
Dec 19, 2005, 07:52 PM
what type of glue are you using?
Dec 21, 2005, 05:23 PM
Plane challenged
goop and hot glue
Dec 21, 2005, 07:11 PM
Do you guys balance your mini upright or upsidedown?
Looks like mine is going to come in at 6.6 oz.. Is this about right?
Last edited by Mike Behl; Dec 21, 2005 at 07:36 PM.
Jan 03, 2006, 01:43 PM
Got more toys than my kid
@SuperFlyer:

That must have been one heck of a hit, or it was cold enough to make EPP foam brittle (never seen that, though). Seriously, I got to witness a comical "landing" of an R3D mini go STRAIGHT DOWN onto an ASPHALT RUNWAY and it just damaged the motor mount (spot-landing event...the pilot can really be goofy at times...no it was NOT me).

Did it break at the glue joints or tear the faom?
Jan 03, 2006, 02:18 PM
Pro Bro #1008
wow..it took me months to kill mine...you definately got something weird going on to tear yours up...mine was the toughest plane on earth..it finally got RIP 'ed cause a much larger plane hit it head on and the big prop just ate the thing up...was almost all CA anyways from my learning..but dang man..something is up with yours to get busted up so easy...
Jan 03, 2006, 10:43 PM
I have the large R3d. The foam is durable however if you hit the ground hard without a prop saver, the force of the prop twisting the nose can tear it up.

The plane is easy to fly and have only has one wreak so far due to pilot error while i was trying a low hover. Flies pretty slow with large prop. Coldest i flew was around 26 degrees and never notice foam getting brittle.

I actually fly a lot with NIMH's only because i have plenty of them around. Still get a hover at around 3/4 thottle (1/2 with lipo) and around 8 min of flight time. Weight doesn't seem to be an issue and it flies still very well with the extra weight.
Jan 04, 2006, 07:51 AM
I've put mine down hard on the steet several times with minimal damage. 3d-flyer as for the prop cutting the nose...try adding some strapping tape to those areas!
Jan 04, 2006, 09:08 PM
Plane challenged
Yeah its been pretty cold, I was surprised to see the foam rip like that. The ground in my yard is also frozen solid so that could be part of it. It nose dived once and the motor mount block of foam collapsed right through the wing! When it freakishly warmed up to like 50 last week the plane held up awesome.
Jan 06, 2006, 04:00 AM

Takes a Licking... Keeps on Ticking

Next week marks the 6 month anniversary of my R3D-Mini. In that time...
- it has completed 225+ flights (TP730 3s1p battery charges)
- now carries almost a whole tube of UHU
- broken 50+ 7x3.5 props
- I fly 75% of the time in my front yard and culdesac now
- I occassionally fly in vacant parking lots, tennis courts, athletic fields, under the lights
- flew into myself a few times, and cut my neck when a wind gust pushed a KE pass into me and I couldn't duck out of the way fast enough
- learned rolling circles and inverted flying with the r3dm.
- broke/jammed 3 pico servos (2 aileron, 1 rudder)
- travels everywhere I go in the car, in the back seat, ready to go

In comparison to a past depron/plate-wing shocky that I flew before the r3dm, the airfoil wing results in more stable flight, especially at speed. The r3dm doesn't flat spin or blender as well. A little UHU and a couple of hours was all that was needed to get flying again; Depron+CA = stiff(good) + brittle(bad), and I ended up rebuilding my shocky about once per month @ ~12 hours of work.

If only lipos were safe to check into airline luggage!

My biggest mistake was not buying two of r3d's 6 months ago. Now it seems like they're never in stock. Kudos to Tim for designing a nice aircraft that should be popular for awhile!

GBx1 15T 24awg 8A WOT
GWS 0735 HD
TP 730 3s1p
Berg Microstamp Receiver
GWS Pico STD Servos
Castle Creations Phoenix 10 ESC
AUW ??? 8oz? How much does a tube worth of UHU weigh?

Jan 06, 2006, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
6 months is a good amount of time! My R3D-mini blendered and did flat spins great! Inverted flat spins were nice to.

We produce about 20 R3D-minis a month (as we as R3D-v2s, and Extras) and we continue to work to increase production. Hopefully soon we will be able to keep up with the demand!

If you like the R3D-v2 or the R3D-mini, you should really check out the EPP Extra 300S. I think it is going to be even more popular (and they are in stock)!!!

Tim
e-foamies.com

Quick Reply