Wingpsan:19.5 in (495 mm)
Weight:1.9 oz (54 g)
Length:15 in (381 mm)
Transmitter:4-channel SLT compatible radio w/built-in LiPo charger
Battery:3.7V 1S LiPo
Price:$89.99
Available from:Dromida.com
PDF Manual:Click Here

As you may have seen, Dromida has just recently started to release a series of airplanes to add to their quad-heavy product line. These first releases, much like most of their quads, are aimed at the beginner pilots with little to no experience. Their first two, the Twin Explorer and the Sky Cruiser 2 are ultra-durable foam and designed to handle crashes with ease. The new Voyager has very nice scale Beaver-style looks, but is made from a depron style foam that may be a little more fragile. Like the HobbyZone Champ, the Voyager is 3 channel with throttle, rudder and elevator. The Voyager was also designed with a pop-off wing using a tab on the front and magnet on the back.

Note the dip switches hidden behind a rubber plug on the transmitter. The first are servo reversing switches, which you shouldn't ever need to touch. Activating MIX1 didn't seem to change anything on the Voyagers controls. Flipping MIX2 will give you a rudder & elevator combination, which would normally be helpful for new pilots...but this is giving down elevator with right rudder. Not sure the purpose or use of up elevator one way, down on the other...but I wouldn't recommend trying it. And finally the D/R switch will allow you to get slightly larger control surface throws. On the back of the transmitter is the flight battery charger, hidden under a slide-out panel. The integrated charger will take about an hour to charge an empty pack. With a full charge, you can get upwards of 10 minutes flying if you take it easy on the throttle.

Flying Tips

Our first flight was a little crazy until we learned to back off the throttle to calm it down. You can launch and fly comfortably at half-throttle and under. The elevator is a little touchy but has nice authority, but the rudder seems to lag. It took a bit to gain some comfort with how much left or right input to give to make the turn. Start by giving no more than half the stick movement left or right, and then be ready to swing the stick the other way to level it out. Rudder control seems ineffective to start, and then it'll suddenly start turning harder when the airflow hits it right. I noticed 2 things that might be contributing to this... 1) The rudder is small - a slightly larger surface would give more authority 2) the rudder control rod has a lot of play in the side of the fuselage - which could cause the surface to move unreliably/inconsistently once in the air.

I wouldn't feel comfortable flying this in the front yard, but a baseball field sized area on a calm evening would be perfect. It is quite light, so any winds over 4-5mph is going to make this a handful. Loops are easy with a little extra throttle, but that and a stall turn/hammerhead is about the only aerobatics the Voyager can perform. The promo video showed it flying inverted, which I was able to do via a half loop and holding full down elevator at the top...however keeping it up and in the oval pattern was tricky, and there really isn't enough down elevator to get back upright. I wouldn't recommend trying it until you have a wide open area and some extra altitude. With all of that said, the Voyager flies pretty smoothly once you get the hang of its characteristics!

Landing could only be simpler if it were automated. Line the plane up, level the wings and chop the throttle while pulling the elevator stick slightly back as it nears the ground. Even if it hits the nose first, as long as the throttle was off I'd expect no damage at all. Charge it up and go again!

Features

• Scale details (wing ribs, wheel pants, panel lines)
  • Built-in charger in transmitter
  • Fully assembled
  • Everything included to get flying

Promo video

Dromida Voyager Airplane : Spotlight (1 min 9 sec)

Pictures

Flight Video

Dromida Voyager - RCGroups Review (2 min 57 sec)

Summary

The Dromida Voyager is a nice scale micro for beginner pilots. If you're just starting out, keep the throttle under half until you get used to flying it. In no time, you'll be doing nice scale speed circuits and floating in for a landing. For $90, you're getting a great looking micro plane that includes everything you need.

Last edited by RCG_Jason; Dec 16, 2022 at 09:54 AM..
Sep 19, 2016, 09:02 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Looks like a cute little bird.

Don't know where the 'Beaver-Style Looks' comes from, it ain't nothing like a Beaver, but rather is a pretty generic GA design, in the Cessna 150/Aeronica Champ vein.
Sep 19, 2016, 09:30 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Looks like a cute little bird.

Don't know where the 'Beaver-Style Looks' comes from, it ain't nothing like a Beaver, but rather is a pretty generic GA design, in the Cessna 150/Aeronica Champ vein.
You're right on that note. Beaver wasn't the right scale comparison. Either way, it looks a lot more scale than the Hobbyzone Champ.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Sep 19, 2016, 10:38 AM
killickb
Stinson Voyageur
Sep 19, 2016, 11:06 AM
Looks like the same manufacturer as the one that made my "UMS 3AXG" Spitfire and Mustang, they also make a AM6M Zero.
Really cool small planes!

The Tx looks identical (except the stickers), The mixes seem to be the same, but on the Spit and Mustang "Mix2" is interesting... Left rudder is coupeled to Up elevator, right rudder to Down elevator???
Sep 19, 2016, 11:09 AM
Looks like the same manufacturer as the one that made my " Airnox UMS 3AXG" Spitfire and Mustang, they also make a AM6M Zero.

The Tx looks identical (except the stickers), The mixes seem to be the same, but on the Spit and Mustang "Mix2" is interesting... Left rudder is coupeled to Up elevator, right rudder to Down elevator???

EDIT A link, seems to be a Swedish "Brand" (made in China by a different Company name)...
http://www.rubinrc.se/782-airnox
Website is in Swedish, but if you click on the planes, the description is in English

Jimjim
Last edited by jimjim06; Sep 19, 2016 at 11:31 AM.
Sep 19, 2016, 12:11 PM
Found this on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Stinson Voyageur
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Sep 19, 2016, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Stinson Voyageur
Nice call!

Jimjim
Sep 19, 2016, 04:33 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06
Looks like the same manufacturer as the one that made my "UMS 3AXG" Spitfire and Mustang, they also make a AM6M Zero.

You're absolutely right, good catch. I never noticed it went down with right when testing the dip switches. I can't make sense of why it would do that either. I'll get the review text updated so new pilots dont activate that mix as I recommended.

Quote:
Stinson Voyageur
Nice find!!
Sep 21, 2016, 10:15 PM
Oh! Just love model
Cute looking plane, really. Like the HZ Champ, it needs wing struts to look right. I could see picking one of these up.

August
Sep 22, 2016, 07:03 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083
Cute looking plane, really. Like the HZ Champ, it needs wing struts to look right. I could see picking one of these up.

August
Yeah struts would add that last touch of detail, tho it would add weight too. I'm sure you could add a couple pieces of carbon painted white for minimal weight.

I do like the scale details on this vs the Champ. I've never personally flown the Champ, but from what I have seen they're pretty similar flight-wise. I think a little mod restricting the play on the rudder pushrod will help it be more responsive.
Sep 22, 2016, 09:47 AM
That odd mix would be for another plane with a V-tail or elevons.

Rick
Sep 22, 2016, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon
That odd mix would be for another plane with a V-tail or elevons.

Rick
That is almost certainly the case.

As I wrote I have the same Tx, only with Another brand name on it.
The problem, with the planes i got is not actually with the planes nor the Tx, its the total lack of information in the Manual, not one Word about the switches.

I didnīt have a hard time testing the functions of the switches, so I knew wich ones were useless...

BUT the Spit and the P-51 are labelled as "Beginner level", wich They are not, but a good first low-wing trainer, after flying something like the "Champ"...

Its interesting that a Company can spend all that time and money making amazing Products like theese, and then totally ignore making a manual that tells you how to use it...

Again, No big problems for me, but for a rank beginner? I Think so.

Hope this Voyager comes with a better manual!

Jimjim
Sep 22, 2016, 10:50 AM
Wing struts can be added using 1/16 balsa strips sanded to a slight airfoil shape and painted. I have done it many times on the Hobbyzone Champs. It does not affect flying and adds a lot of personality to the plane.
Sep 22, 2016, 11:04 AM
Oh! Just love model
I have done it to my Champs as well. Mine are made of bass wood and are functional. They'd be a nice touch for this little Stinson. Props to this company for doing a plane that we have not seen in a scale micro foamie before. I'd buy it for that reason alone.

August

Quick Reply