Aug 06, 2013, 11:20 PM
ELECTRIC R/C
Thread OP
Discussion

CORSAIR from PARKZONE bad Elevator

After putting a new elevator in my Parkzone Corsair this Spring, and getting over 100 flights with no problems. The bend piont outer surface covering pulled up tight to the top side. This caused no down elevator. Plane CRASHED....Only one wing side broke. Defective part. This should never happen.
This type of control surface is used on many Parkzone planes.
The dark blue colour may be part of the problem. It was not that warm or sunny that day, and I had no problems one day before.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2013, 09:38 AM
Kamikaze Ace
Sorry for your loss.

But at least from your photos, you should have had no elevator, up or down, if the material loosening was at fault. Granted it could have caused a problem, if flying in really cold temps, as the material wouldn't want to stretch.

Did you do a proper pre-flight check? Just like the real birds, they do require maintenance.
Hundred flights on a real bird calls for some stringent checks.

These things are not perfect, but even the best going are not going to last if you are not doing any type of pre-fight check to look for problems or any maintenance when something crops up.

I've had several of these type planes, the hinging method is one that's easy and cheap to manufacture, as for longevity, especially without any maintenance, they are going to fail. Me I cut the thing off and install proper hinges. And this problem is not just with these little foamies, my Hangar 9 Camel had the ailerons hinged just like this. And from the factory the covering was so tight you could not get the ailerons to move in one direction.

Had I not checked and caught it, it would have made for a very short maiden flight.

Not preaching, just it's a mass produced toy, like many of our planes are.
They all have expiration dates, it's up to us to decide when that is.
Aug 14, 2013, 07:23 PM
ELECTRIC R/C
Thread OP

CORSAIR from PARKZONE bad Elevator

I cut and retaped the elevator, the wing had a clean break so a bit of Poly Glue and all ready to fly the next day. It has 5 more flights this week and all is ok.
I must say my preflight check was a bit speedy, and I should have seen the lack of down movement in the elevator. Up seemed ok and all the other surfaces were 100%. I had just replaced the elevator this last Spring as the old one had a bit of Hanger Dammage, in the SUV (sport utility VAN)
Aug 14, 2013, 09:20 PM
Jeez, and I thought foam planes were supposed to last forever.

Quick Reply