Apr 11, 2013, 10:34 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
Discussion

Boscam Cobra HD FPV Camera

Today I arrived home after work to see the Bocam Cobra HD camera sitting on the kitchen table. So it is time to start reviewing the product. I finish work at 11am tomorrow so I should be able to start producing some videos. First lets start with the basics.

The unboxing and appearance.
Name: DSCF3561.jpg
Views: 331
Size: 246.9 KB
Description: Name: DSCF3562.jpg
Views: 299
Size: 273.7 KB
Description: Name: DSCF3563.jpg
Views: 399
Size: 231.5 KB
Description:

It comes packed with the camera and wires. Everything fits in the box firmly so nothing will move around in transport. There is two different ways to connect the camera. Either through USB or a straight connection the the Boscam vtx. This camera can run on 12volts so it is pretty much plug-in-play.

Name: DSCF3571.jpg
Views: 593
Size: 192.6 KB
Description: Name: DSCF3564.jpg
Views: 597
Size: 308.2 KB
Description:

The thing I like about this camera so far is the lens. So far it looks to be shielded. It has little screws on the side for mounting in a pan tilt system and the back is flat for mounting on existing systems. The camera cable comes out the bottom so it could easily be hidden in foam. The camera unit comes in at 41grams without wires.

Name: DSCF3567.jpg
Views: 440
Size: 173.2 KB
Description:

The base unit of the camera has 3 switches (all 2 way switches) and two buttons.

Name: DSCF3569.jpg
Views: 428
Size: 149.3 KB
Description: Name: DSCF3570.jpg
Views: 397
Size: 181.0 KB
Description:

I will be comparing this camera with 2 others. Gopro Hero2 and the 808 #16. The cable you see from my #16 is because I took the battery out and run it directly by 5volts. In this picture you can see some size differences.

Name: DSCF3566.jpg
Views: 854
Size: 280.3 KB
Description:

In the next few weeks I am going to put it through lots of different tests. If you have a test you would like preformed or have a question about the camera please ask.

Now off I go to play.
Last edited by whakahere; Apr 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: adding manual
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
Radd Graduate '06
Spectrum scans - would be curious to see what frequencies' it's pumping out
Apr 11, 2013, 10:49 AM
P is Back.
I find this thread myself. Great!
Apr 11, 2013, 10:53 AM
P is Back.
Soon you can get the other gear.
Apr 11, 2013, 10:58 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
I am going to leave the spectrum scans up to markus123456. He has a spectrum analyser that goes up to 8ghz. He will give the best coverage. I will run it against the 433mhz band to see any noise tonight.

Just made a walk outside in my socks video. I will upload it soon.

Boscam Cobra HD fpv Camera first test 720p (0 min 0 sec)

dinner time! It most likely is still processing.
Apr 11, 2013, 11:10 AM
P is Back.
OK,
And I will back to see this video.
I will keep coming to see if there any new thing test out. Even when I in HongKong and Beijing, I will try come here and get updated.
Apr 11, 2013, 11:18 AM
Radd Graduate '06
Interesting to see the WDR on that video...side to side screenshots with a CCD image would be interesting. Was the intention for this to be a 1 camera solution?
Apr 11, 2013, 11:23 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
To me it looks that way. There is no battery and the plugs are ready for the boscam 5.8 and 2.4ghy vtx. It looks very easy just to plug in. I will be having side by side with the gopro and 808 #16. I will show what it looks like in sd compared to the pz0420 wdr camera. It also will be used on a few osd's to see if there are any timing issues.
Apr 11, 2013, 06:10 PM
Hmmm
Looks like it's a stripped down in car DVR recorder just like the Horyzon HD
It will most like have far too much noise in the UHF band without sheilding (just like the HHD used to have)
Apr 11, 2013, 08:28 PM
P is Back.
I saw the 720p video! And you can make a 1080p one. Can't wait to see you fly with 3 cams side by side.

@Mochaboy
One camera solution is good suggestion. Noticed.

@Dogdude
Leave the answer for testers and their spectrum scanner.
HHD is doing better now, and seem to have new version coming out.
Apr 12, 2013, 04:01 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
I only have a class 4 microsdhc card right now as I only have class 10 for my gopro and dvr. they both use the larger style cards. My new micro should arrive by Monday. So I will test it with the class 4 this weekend but I think it might drop some frames until the class 10 arrives.

Only downside so far is the hissing/background noise on the audio. I am not sure if this is down to the card I am using or the camera. Testing to continue.
Apr 13, 2013, 03:32 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
Here is some more testing. This is through the ezuhf toolset. Markus123456 has much better gear but here is something while we wait. This is done with a class 4 card that I use in my 808. This card isn't good enough for 60 frames a second I think. This might effect the results as people have tested and claimed that the type of SD card has an effect on how much noise is produced.

Everything is done through an 3s battery at 11.5volts. I will need to do a test on if the different voltages creates noise. Or markus can

Here is the first picture - baseline, nothing on apart from reciever and camera next to it (off).
Name: baseline.JPG
Views: 545
Size: 71.5 KB
Description:

Here is with the camera on. It is on top of the receiver. Not recording.
Name: cobra on not recording.JPG
Views: 419
Size: 71.0 KB
Description:

This time it is recording. Camera on top of receiver
Name: cobra on recording touching.JPG
Views: 455
Size: 71.4 KB
Description:

Lastly, this test shows the difference when it is 55cm away from the receiver.
Name: cobra recorder on 50cm.JPG
Views: 372
Size: 71.2 KB
Description:
Apr 13, 2013, 06:13 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
SD works. Just wired it up. Comes up with a full menu when not recording. When it is recording it disappears and is replaced by a pulsing red dot (in the corner).

here it is installed on the honey badger. It came with a vibration mount and I am going to see if it works for this little thing. I took some wires out of one of the cables as I don't transmit sound over SD.

Tomorrow I will be testing the sd camera .. and I will try recording but with my card class I don;t think it will be up to the standard that the camer can preform at.
Apr 13, 2013, 08:07 PM
P is Back.
Great job!
Apr 14, 2013, 04:10 AM
Just another user
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere
Here is some more testing. This is through the ezuhf toolset. Markus123456 has much better gear but here is something while we wait. This is done with a class 4 card that I use in my 808. This card isn't good enough for 60 frames a second I think. This might effect the results as people have tested and claimed that the type of SD card has an effect on how much noise is produced.

Everything is done through an 3s battery at 11.5volts. I will need to do a test on if the different voltages creates noise. Or markus can

Here is the first picture - baseline, nothing on apart from reciever and camera next to it (off).
Attachment 5697743

Here is with the camera on. It is on top of the receiver. Not recording.
Attachment 5697744

This time it is recording. Camera on top of receiver
Attachment 5697745

Lastly, this test shows the difference when it is 55cm away from the receiver.
Attachment 5697746
Looks like it's quite noisy on the UHF-band. Approx 10dB increased noise-floor even with 55cm seperation. That's for sure gonna take a good chunk of your range

Looking forward to see some recordings

Quick Reply