Jan 02, 2013, 07:00 PM
Adam RED Weston
Thread OP
Contest

Pacific NW Hand Launch Contests 2013

Each year we've been starting a new thread for Hand Launch Glider discussion in the Pacific Northwest. We'll track the upcoming contests on the first page here and the discussion will range from there! So far I have the Seattle (SASS) contests, and will be happy to add everybody else's in the region. Just let me know! - Adam (RED)

2013 Pacific Northwest Contests
Date------Description------Location------Time
16-Mar----SASS HLG------Carnation, WA------9:00am
13-Apr----SASS HLG------Carnation, WA------9:00am
20-Apr----PASS HLG------Porland, OR---------9:30am
11-May----SASS HLG------Carnation, WA------9:00am
8-Jun------SASS HLG------Carnation, WA------9:00am
8-Jun------PASS HLG------Salem, OR-----------10:30am
16-Jun----SASS HLG Clinic-Redmond, WA---9:00am
22-Jun----PSSF HLG ------Olympia, WA--------9:00am
20-Jul-----PSSF HLG-------Olympia, WA--------9:00am
20 Jul-----PASS HLG-------Portland, OR--------9:30am
10-Aug----SASS HLG------Carnation, WA------9:00am
17-Aug----PASS HLG------Portland, WA-------9:30am
24-Aug----PSSF HLG------Olympia, WA--------9:00am
7-8 Sep---SASS 2-Day HLG--Carnation, WA--9:00am
12-Oct----SASS HLG------Carnation, WA-------9:00am

Club Links:
Yahoo Group for Northwest DLG Soaring: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DLGPNW/
SASS - Seattle, WA - Website: http://www.seattleareasoaringsociety.com/
PASS - Portland, OR - Website: http://www.passoaring.us/
PSSF - Olympia, WA - Website: http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org
BC HLG - Mission BC -
Last edited by RED_HLG; Sep 17, 2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added Olympia and Portland dates
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2013, 07:27 PM
Great!! Thanks Adam.

Joseph
Jan 02, 2013, 08:37 PM
June 8... carnation....yum.....
Jan 02, 2013, 09:09 PM

Qualifications?

Which clubs/associations do I need to be a member of to fly in the listed contests? Myself and a friend are about to build our first DLG's and intend on ranging south to compete with the NW crew.

Thanks!

P.s.

AMA is the first, most obvious answer. What else?
Jan 02, 2013, 09:18 PM
Certifiable User
Adam Thanks for this and all the hard work you and the other CD's do. Can't wait till March its gonna be great!

JR - AMA is all you need. SASS also offers a inexpensive rate for out of towners although not required. Show up and compete it is BIG FUN (PM Adam for details).

Thomas - looking forward to meeting you in June. Missed the contest you made it to last year.
Jan 02, 2013, 10:01 PM
Blind Hawk
Yes, current AMA or MAAC (Canadian equivalent) and a legal F3K plane is all you need. SASS membership is not required but as Lee said you are welcome to join. Contest fees are $10 for SASS members and $15 if not. We usually have a lunch going for a $5 donation if you want to participate in that.

We'd love to have you join us. As one of the CD's I'm not so impartial but I think our contests are a bunch of fun and a great way to learn about the hobby.

Keep an eye on this thread and you can also join our email group, dlgpnw@yahoogroups.com to stay informed.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredingt
Which clubs/associations do I need to be a member of to fly in the listed contests? Myself and a friend are about to build our first DLG's and intend on ranging south to compete with the NW crew.

Thanks!

P.s.

AMA is the first, most obvious answer. What else?
Jan 02, 2013, 10:36 PM
Hey Rick,

For us out-of-country-er's is it ok to simply have membership at our home country association (HKRCSS for example), which includes insurance?

Lee, looking forward to meeting you and checking out your new planes! Your new stuff is looking really good!!

Thomas
Jan 02, 2013, 11:28 PM
Thomas,

That would really have to be bumped up to the AMA for an answer, as my understanding is that it is an insurance issue. At least that is how I interpret my CD notes from the AMA.

If Rick doesn't query the AMA, I'd be glad to do so.

Gary
Puget Sound Silent Flyers
Jan 03, 2013, 01:26 AM
Will fly for food
Subscribed

I am willing to CD a contest this year if needed.
Jan 03, 2013, 12:43 PM
Wish I lived near Carnation, WA !!!

Be all set with monthly contests.... Nice job gentleman.
Jan 03, 2013, 12:50 PM
Will fly for food
Sounds like you need a vacation. Come visit the PNW and enjoy the rain festival.
Jan 03, 2013, 02:01 PM
Blind Hawk
Great question Thomas.

Gary if have the time and wouldn't mind finding out the AMA protocol it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
Jan 03, 2013, 03:29 PM
Professional Lurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
For us out-of-country-er's is it ok to simply have membership at our home country association (HKRCSS for example), which includes insurance?
Thomas
Thomas,

You'll need to get an AMA Affiliate membership to fly in an AMA sanctioned contest. You just need to provide proof of membership in your National Aero Club and the cost is $28. You can get the form here. The CDs will have membership applications in their Sanction packet so just fill it out and pay before the contest starts. I don't think you can do the Affiliate membership online due to the requirement to show proof of membership to your Aero Club.

I CD a student contest every year with many foreign entries so I've done this quite a bit!

Have fun!

Chris
Jan 04, 2013, 08:27 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the info.

Gary
Jan 10, 2013, 02:09 PM

New Pilot Announcement

Hi Guys

Just wanted to fill ya'll in on some news. My wife gave birth to our baby girl over the holidays, Penelope Lyn. She was 6 lbs 13 oz and looks a lot like her daddy. Everyone is healthy and doing well however, this will make a dent in my flying time! I can not wait to get her hooked on planes

James

Quick Reply