Dec 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

F8 Cursader Build

Well while I wait on HobbyKing to send me my parts for my A7 build, I will start a F8 Cursader build

I took GGRN's plans and enlarged them so the fuse about 40". I will build this the way Hans builds his planes. I take a profile view of the plane and cut it out of pink FFF. I then tke a CF rod and imbed it in the center of that profile. I then cut the ribs (also out of pink FFF) and glue them on to the Fuse profile. Once this is completed I then cut brown paper templates of the shin to insure I get a proper fit. Once satified with the template I transfer that to $tree foam. I use $tree foam because it eill bend easier around the ribs. I use fabric glue I get from Wal-Mart. This stuff is the best stuff I have used.

With the templates I can get very tight seems . I hope this will reduce the amount of sanding and filling.

I plan on using 3/4 oz FG and WBP like John Morgan does on his builds.

I started working on this last night and with in two hours I had gotten all the ribs cut and glued on and even added a few skin panels.

I will add pics later today.
Last edited by hersch54; Dec 20, 2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Change to build log.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
Looks good.

Woody
Dec 21, 2012, 05:31 PM
Thread OP

More pic's of the build

He are some pic's of the build. Here is how I get the tight seams. I add 1/4 in. strips of foam to the rear side of each rib (Except the last rib #11)Start adding skin foam from the front ofthe plane and work your way back.
Dec 21, 2012, 05:49 PM
Thread OP

Worked on the intake

The nose and intake is what gives the F8 the name "Sharks Mouth".. Makew sur eyou get this section as good as you can it will make the plane look great.
Dec 23, 2012, 12:31 PM
Thread OP

fusw getting close

Well I have been working on the F8. The fuse is almose ready for the FG work.

I will start on the wing and elevators next
Dec 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
Thread OP

Question

What gauge of wire do you use fr your battery wires. I have 16 gauge wire but looking at the wire on the 4C batteries this looks a little small.
Dec 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
Thread OP

working on wing

here are some new pics. The wing is a KF2 Airfoil. I will put a CFR on the under side
Last edited by hersch54; Dec 23, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Dec 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
EB-66C Team Member
If you're going 4s lipos, I would run 14 gauge Hersch. Looks like it's coming along nice.

J
Dec 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
Hersch,

Where could I get a copy of the three view you posted. I have been toying with the idea of building a stick and tissue style pusher and have been unable to find decent three views. The ones you posted look to be better than anything I have found so far. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Jeff
Dec 26, 2012, 10:12 AM
Thread OP

F8 3 Views

The 3 views were just pics I found doing a google search. Not sure where they were. I will try yo find the web site again.
Dec 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
Thread OP

Jeff here it is.

Jeff Here is the site I found this drawing . Hope this helps.

http://worldweapon.ru/sam/f8.php
Dec 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
Thank you very much for your help. Your build is looking great by the way.

Jeff
Dec 26, 2012, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
You are welcomed. Thanks it has been an easy build and I would tell anyone to give it a try. I saw how well John Morgan's plane flew so I am excited to get this one in the air. I hope to take it to SEFF in April.

Quick Reply