Oct 13, 2010, 02:23 PM
Just some guy
Thread OP
Discussion

Flyzone Albatros Mods thread

Hi, attached are pictures of my Albatros. I have added paper cowl pieces, top rear, sides, and front ring. I drew panel lines on it. I am not entirely happy with them as I pressed to hard on the foam. I am used to doing that on depron. I also added the flying wires. I still need to make a dash decal and paint my pilot. I didn't want to get to heavy so I removed a whole bunch of foam before I started painting. The Mauve is Testors North Atlantic Purple and the green is Tamiya Green. The grey is Testors Light Ghost Grey and the red piping is Tamiya red. all are acryilics. I will post templates of the paper hatches and cowl pieces shortly. I will also post a dash decal when finished.

DJ
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2010, 02:45 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
how does it fly with the added weight and where did you remove foam from?

Stunning work.

Wheels should be green

Oct 13, 2010, 03:17 PM
Just some guy
Thread OP
I am 1.1 grams over the stock plane with the guns. I don't really notice it. I also added a buch more elevator and rudder to suit my flying preferences. I also moved the CG slightly aft, again, my preference. I had a issue with my airbrush spitting or the weight would have been less. I removed foam from the lower front fuselage, the lower wing saddle and the cockpit.

DJ
Oct 13, 2010, 03:29 PM
this was my PZ guts conversion

and this is what i did to help stop the bottom wing from cracking at the 90

Oct 13, 2010, 03:30 PM
awesome work as always DJ!!
Oct 13, 2010, 03:44 PM
Looks great. I'm thinking of trying to mod mine so that the landing gear will snap in and out. That way I can remove the gear when I'm flying over grass; which I do most of the time.
Oct 13, 2010, 03:51 PM
Ooooooooooo! man, that is some beautiful work you did on it!!!!
-SUPER- A W E S O M E ! ! ! !
Where can I order one ;-)
Cheers,
Martin
Oct 13, 2010, 04:52 PM
Nice work, I have two started right now. Just got the paint removed and applied my first coat of new paint. I wish I could get more time to spend on it. I am attempting a wood finish but that has a whole new set of problems. I too am trying to find the best way to make panel lines. It's hard to keep the lines uniform
Oct 13, 2010, 04:55 PM
How did you get the wood grain look on your prop?
Oct 13, 2010, 08:13 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli5539
How did you get the wood grain look on your prop?
The woodgrain prop look is so Easy, even I can do it.

Base coat of Tan (I used Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow) with a course brush, then grain with a file brush and a brown (I used $1 Craft Acrylic "real brown")

Then Clearcoated with Krylon... the clear coating may make the tips brittle, though, as I have chunked a few prop tips... The plane doesn't seem to notice too much.
Oct 13, 2010, 08:17 PM
Just some guy
Thread OP
Very cool props UNGN!!
Oct 13, 2010, 10:57 PM
WOW! Nice Albatros! And nice way to make a scale prop. I just bought a junked Albatros from strouse here at RCGroups and I definently think I'm going to do a custom color scheme.
Oct 13, 2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks Dad!
Excellent!
Oct 13, 2010, 11:12 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN
The woodgrain prop look is so Easy, even I can do it. Base coat of Tan (I used Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow) with a course brush, then grain with a file brush and a brown (I used $1 Craft Acrylic "real brown")
Great wood grain effect. Do you mean a "fine brush" when describing what you use to impart the grain effect? I'm not all that artistic, so I don't know my brushes very well!

Thanks for sharing. BTW, any special prep to the stock black prop prior to painting, such as light sanding to get the paint to adhear better to the plastic surface?

Thanks

RD
Oct 13, 2010, 11:40 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Great wood grain effect. Do you mean a "fine brush" when describing what you use to impart the grain effect? I'm not all that artistic, so I don't know my brushes very well!

Thanks for sharing. BTW, any special prep to the stock black prop prior to painting, such as light sanding to get the paint to adhear better to the plastic surface?

Thanks

RD

Light sanding helps the paint stick and light sanding after clear coat smooths it out. I use 320 grit wet/dry.

I use a fine brush to free hand the brown.

Here's the look I was going for from one of the Scale Electric planes forum's DVa Threads:

Quick Reply