Das Ugly Stick Build
Putting together a scratch built 40-60 Size electric Das Ugly Stick based on Guy Fullers CAD diagrams updated by Jason Niemier in 2007.
Cad Plans from:
My modification plans include:
This blog will not be full build details just misc pictures throughout my build.
Turnigy C5065-400 Motor
1. Cutting out the wing ribs.
The rib template set is cut from MDF using a band saw and sander.
I decided only one rib template set would be needed to cut out 16 identical ribs. The differences between the inner and outer balsa ribs are the servo lead hole and a bigger center spar slot to accommodate the double center spar. My plan is to hand enlarge the center spar slot for those ribs which need it and all ribs will get the servo hole(handy if you want to run wires out to the wing tips ).
The center ply ribs get done one by one.
2. I have cut out center ply rib, firewall and the wing support bulkhead from 6mm(2x3mm laminated) ply sheet. Added two sub-ribs of balsa to the center rib to support the wing sheeting around the wing mounting tab. Drilled holes in the firewall for the electric motor mount, rear motor shaft, motor wires and the possible future trike U/C mount.
3. Built and sheeted the tailplane. 5mm strips and sheeted with 1.5mm balsa. Elevator still needs to be added.
4. Built the fin and rudder out of 5mm thick balsa. I need to sheet in 1.5mm balsa and cutout rudder.
5. Started the main wing spar. Half a wing at a time due to building board size limitations.
6. Wing frame completed, sheeting half completed.
7. Aileron servo mounts and covers completed. Servo wire center holes cut in bottom sheeting and draw string installed.
8. Wing top sheeting and cap strips cut and glued.
9. Ailerons and elevator blanks cut. I had to laminate some balsa to get near the correct thickness. Put together a spreadsheet to calculate the jig dimensions required to sand them to the correct trailing edge shape. Not tested yet so use at own risk.
ImagesView all Images in thread
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Phill Kraft - Das Ugly Stick for electric engine||Cebola||Sport Planes||33||Apr 27, 2015 11:35 PM|
|Cool||Ugly stick , from glow to electric..||Grunta5||Glow to Electric Conversions||11||Jan 27, 2010 05:59 PM|
|Discussion||Das Ugly Stick mod||scottm50||Scale Fuel Planes||1||Aug 04, 2009 06:43 PM|
|Discussion||Das Ugly Stick - Modified Scratch||**neons**||Foamies (Scratchbuilt)||1||Jun 22, 2008 10:57 PM|
|Discussion||Das Ugly Stick||rosco||Foamies (Scratchbuilt)||0||Aug 08, 2006 05:45 PM|