Jul 22, 2009, 06:36 AM
eflyguy
Thread OP
Question

Anyone succesfully built a wired IR repeater?

Pretty simple, really. Just looking for someone who's actually built one that works. I'm leaning towards this one..
Thx!
..a
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2009, 07:20 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Pretty simple, really. Just looking for someone who's actually built one that works. I'm leaning towards this one..
Thx!
..a
I built one couple years ago from op amp and NPN. Unlike the Johnson design the remote did not have to be right next to the sensor. About 50' of speaker wire. Unfortunately there was never a schematic.
Jul 22, 2009, 10:36 AM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
Quote:
Thx!
..a

I've built so many versions of these in the past (home automation projects) and eventually decided on using a commercially developed one... simply because it was occasionally flakey and picked up ambient noise/interference.

Here's a few circuits to ponder too... (maybe you already seen these...) the better ones attempt to filter out surrounding noise (i.e. ambient light, etc...)... and be sure to use some small plastic (dard-reddish looking) IR filter on the receiving detector... it will help in most cases:

http://www.cedarnet.org/smartware/Hardware/IR_Repeater/

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circui...face/irext.htm

http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...003/index.html

http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...008/index.html

Also, instead of running extra wire to extend a wired IR system, you might want to look at Xantech products,... as they alllow you to pass IR signal info down an existing coax cable (i.e. cable/satellite TV) using special modulators/demodulators.
http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infr...ROverCoaxKits/
There are other off-the-shelf kits like this that allow you to use existing CAT5 and/or coax...
Jul 22, 2009, 10:54 AM
eflyguy
Thread OP
Thx! I'm only running it into a cabinet, I've converted an old TV cabinet into a widescreen HDTV. Just have to put some trim on the front, waiting to see how the IR can be done first..
..a
Jul 22, 2009, 11:15 AM
Yup, I built one a bunch of years back too. As I recall, I used an IR module like this one to trigger a 555 based 38 khz oscillator driving an IR LED. That way the photo diode didn't have to be right up against the remote.

Dan
Jul 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
Yup, I built one a bunch of years back too. As I recall, I used an IR module like this one to trigger a 555 based 38 khz oscillator driving an IR LED. That way the photo diode didn't have to be right up against the remote.

Dan
Like the one in Tomapowas 1st link that don't work with all remotes. His 2nd and 4th are actually the same link and virtually identical to mine. How dare they steal my circuit nearly a full year before I designed it!
Jul 22, 2009, 11:48 AM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
Quote:
Thx! I'm only running it into a cabinet, I've converted an old TV cabinet into a widescreen HDTV. Just have to put some trim on the front, waiting to see how the IR can be done first..
..a
Cool idea Andy! I did someting similar several years ago, ripping out the guts from an OLD phonograph player (tube amp with electromagnet speakers still) and adapted it with a custom DVD player and amplifier (for an older friend of mine that owns an antique store). The phono cabinet itself was in excellent condition (beautiful dove-tails and all)... made from clear oak and in prestine condition... why throw away a nice pc. of furniture when you can recycle it... right?
Jul 23, 2009, 07:43 AM
eflyguy
Thread OP
He he..

In this case, the "furniture" is junk made from particle board with a laminated finish, that is chipped and weathered. That said, we don't want a modern stand in that room, so it works nicely.

#$#%$#@#@ comcast showed up 2hrs late with broken, used equipment. Told them to go $#@$@#$ themselves. Trying to figure out what to do. We're surrounded by trees so existing DirectTV reception is unreliable, especially in weather, and moving to HD will cost us plenty as we're existing, not new, subscribers. I've signed up for Dish to come out and I'll get lots of new equipment, but I am pretty certain they'll say they can't install with all these trees around. UVerse is in Atlanta but not around here yet.
..a
Jul 23, 2009, 10:40 AM
Do you have an outbuilding (garage, shed, etc) that has a clear view to the south, then run a buried cable to the house. Is there anywhere on the property with a view to the south where you could mount a dish on a pole? Maybe a larger dish would give you enough signal through the trees.

Dan
Jul 23, 2009, 08:23 PM
eflyguy
Thread OP
Nope - at least, not close enough to be viable. We live on a hill that drops off to the east, and all the required satellites are west (207-254 degrees).. the DirectTV we have now is peeking between a gap in the trees which vanishes in heavy rain or strong winds.. For HD, we need more than one satellite, which is impossible. Also, Dish's satellites are lower (~35 elevation vs 46 for DirectTV that we have) which makes it harder..

Trust me, I've walked around the yard with a finder forever trying to find a location..

Darn I wish uVerse would come by here soon...
..a
Jul 23, 2009, 09:04 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
Not too sure of your situtation there but a friend of mine did just this... and it's worked for several years now (needs occasional tuning):

http://www.ehow.com/how_2001254_moun...-top-tree.html
Jul 23, 2009, 09:08 PM
eflyguy
Thread OP
That would be one way to do it - we have a monster oak 15' off the back here. Getting this coordinated might be tricky but it would solve the problem. Hmm..
..a

Quick Reply