May 04, 2011, 08:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How do you pack up your wing on a commercial flight?

I've seen a post in the Assassin thread that pointed to a bow case on Amazon but required a little work to get it just right. LINK

The bow case looks great but I'd like some other options.

What is everyone using to take their wings with them on commercial flights. I'd love to take my wing with me and have a bit of room to throw in my lipos and charger if possible.

to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2011, 02:27 AM
resU deretsigeR
mirror boxes from u-haul work i normally gety some thin ply and line the edges so that it is a but crush resiustant and then some eps foam around the wing i have flown that way many times but i might recomend that you ship ahead have tem deleivered to the hotel or persons place your staying at.. it really is simpler and can cost less to ship than take on the plan
May 05, 2011, 03:58 AM
Crashomatic
i split the wing in half and wrap it in bubbles, put the whole thing in a sport bag that matches the half wing size. I take it with me on the plane. Advantage is zero additional cost or delay, and ease or transportation compared to boxes. Also, it's light, and you always get the pilot asking if you're bringing a plane in in plane ;-)
May 05, 2011, 08:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
mirror boxes from u-haul work i normally gety some thin ply and line the edges so that it is a but crush resiustant and then some eps foam around the wing i have flown that way many times but i might recomend that you ship ahead have tem deleivered to the hotel or persons place your staying at.. it really is simpler and can cost less to ship than take on the plan
I'll have to swing by UHaul today and see what they've got as that sounds pretty simple and easy to do. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp
i split the wing in half and wrap it in bubbles, put the whole thing in a sport bag that matches the half wing size. I take it with me on the plane. Advantage is zero additional cost or delay, and ease or transportation compared to boxes. Also, it's light, and you always get the pilot asking if you're bringing a plane in in plane ;-)
I wish there was an option to split my wing but it's a 36" assassin and no thought at all was put into making it easier to transport since I don't travel a lot. Are you the one with the folding Zephr?
May 05, 2011, 10:07 AM
Crashomatic
36" is not too big so you might get away with a case. Still cases are huge.

Yes i've a 2 pieces folding Zephyr, or, "the" i don't know

I'm planning on making a 44-48 (3 pieces split this time; my 2 pieces works well but i'd like to experiment differently this time), I though about the new zeph-demon-fpv but its 50 and still expensive. I might try to make my own, because I like the building challenge. Although, It's not said if it will fly well
May 07, 2011, 03:30 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Back in the day I hung a Q-40 racer wing and fuse motor and all inside a suit coat and hung it in the carry on closet, don't know if you can do that now.

Quick Reply