Jun 09, 2010, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

eLogger V3 USB not recognized

hi all,
Got my eLogger V3 in the mail today. I plugged it in, and downloaded the software from the EagleTree web site. It told me to update the eLogger, so I chose "yes" on this, and the software reported upgrade went succesful.

At the same time, the software froze up. I disconnected the eLogger, and now whenever I plug in the device I get the "USB Device not recognized".

I have tried the eLogger on 3 different PCs (Dell/HP/Lenovo), with the exact same error every time. Is there a way to get it working again? I live in Norway, so sending it to the US would be a lenghty process...

regards,
Trond Hindenes
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2010, 01:21 AM
Passion
Previously my logger worked perfectly through the USB, that was until I installed a new modem on my computer. Now, the logger will not work if the modem is plugged in. I must first un-plug the modem, plug in the logger, go to device manager and delete the logger driver under "human interface devices". It will re-install and then I can use the logger on the PC. There might be a permanent solution to this, but I am not a IT person and this works for me.

There will most probably be something else on your PC preventing the logger from working.

Any help from the IT people on here?
Jun 10, 2010, 08:48 AM
Falling with style
I have also just received my elogger v3 and trust me it was a pain in the ass to install. I have been in IT technology for years, I know how to install drivers.

Here is a few things I did to make it work on Windows 7 64 bits.

- Download beta software 8.57 (http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Support/apps.htm)
- Connect to a USB port on the back of your computer (directly on the motherboard)
- Disconnect everything from the elogger (even gps)
- Have your LIPO ready to be connected to the BATT connector of the elogger

Now that this is done, here are the steps:

1. Reboot your computer
2. Install the latest BETA software (uninstall any previous version before doing this)
3. Reboot your computer
4. Plug your LIPO battery to the elogger
5. Plug the USB cable to the elogger and motherboard
6. Your should have heard the windows sound for new device connected, the LEDs on the elogger should flash ***______***______***
7. Start the data logger software
8. The wizard should now detect the elogger
9. Flash it to the latest version
10. Once flashed, exit data logger software, disconnect USB cable, unplug LIPO battery
11. Connect the GPS and other sensor to the elogger
12. Connect the OSD to the sensor
13. Plug the LIPO battery to the elogger
14. Plug the USB cable to the elogger (make sure the LEDs pattern is OK, 3 flashes, stop, 3 flashs, stop, etc...)
15. Start data logger software
16. When going to "Hardware / firmware control" mine was seeing OSD firmware as "UNKNOWN". If you try to flash it there it won' work, you have to go the menu "Hardware / Parameters to Display on Video OSD". Now there will be a window called "Initializing OSD ...".
17. After the OSD has been initialized you can flash it to the latest version.
18. Once flashed, exit data logger software, disconnect USB cable, unplug LIPO battery.
19. Plug the LIPO battery to the elogger
20. Plug the USB cable to the elogger (make sure the LEDs pattern is OK, 3 flashes, stop, 3 flashs, stop, etc...)

You should be fine after that.

I hope this helps.
Jun 10, 2010, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
Good tip on plugging the Lipo in first, I'll give that a try!
Jun 12, 2010, 05:28 AM
Resistance is Futile
The largerst problem with USB is inconsistent PC maker USB power support. I noted in the first post that everything was fine until you installed a modem. That modem is dragging the voltage down on your USB ports which is why it works just fine when you unplug the modem.

Most laptops have extremely poor USB power supply or none at all to some or all of the ports.

A battery back-up harness will work just as well as hooking up the lipo. Either way is just fine as long as there is supplimentary current to the eLogger.

Additionally, Microsoft products do a really bad job of power management as a rule anyway.

The main thing to remember is if it doesn't work try a different USB port, a self-powered USB hub or the battery back-up harness and all will be well. It's not an Eagle Tree problem, it's a problem with USB implementation by PC/Laptop makers trying to cut corners.

Good luck!

Rob
Jun 12, 2010, 08:40 AM
Passion
This is a desktop PC. Now than I think of it, even before the modem, the bluetooth dongle and some memory sticks / flash drives would also not work on the front usb ports, only on the rear ones. But it does not matter where I plug in the ET or the modem, front of rear, the modem must be un-plugged and I also must first un-install and re-install the logger driver as mentioned in post #2. I think it is a driver clash thing rather than a power thing. The modem is a wire-less / cellphone simcard based unit, looking like a flash drive.
Jun 12, 2010, 12:46 PM
Resistance is Futile
Does your cell phone dongle set up a serial port on your machine when you install the drivers?

It may be a conflict there. I use PCMCIA card, USB and Bluetooth cell phone adapters on my laptop for G2/G3 access and have port numbers up to 40 and occasionally get conflicts when changing interfaces.

Worth looking into manually setting modem port configurations to keep from having constant install/uninstalls.

Hope this helps,

Rob
Jun 12, 2010, 03:44 PM
Sky blue near dusk
Having the same problem with mine running windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondhindenes
hi all,
Got my eLogger V3 in the mail today. I plugged it in, and downloaded the software from the EagleTree web site. It told me to update the eLogger, so I chose "yes" on this, and the software reported upgrade went succesful.

At the same time, the software froze up. I disconnected the eLogger, and now whenever I plug in the device I get the "USB Device not recognized".

I have tried the eLogger on 3 different PCs (Dell/HP/Lenovo), with the exact same error every time. Is there a way to get it working again? I live in Norway, so sending it to the US would be a lenghty process...

regards,
Trond Hindenes
Jun 13, 2010, 10:33 AM
All, one other thing to try, if USB access is still not working, is to use a USB hub. Quite often a hub will resolve customer USB issues.
Jun 13, 2010, 02:38 PM
Sky blue near dusk
Thanks bill. This seems to fix the problem. I do have quite a lot of USB devices plugged into the USB ports on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
All, one other thing to try, if USB access is still not working, is to use a USB hub. Quite often a hub will resolve customer USB issues.
Jun 15, 2010, 07:18 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
I get a Windows does not recognize the usb device when plugging in the usb cable to the v3 recorder after plugging in the plane's lipo.
I am running windows xp. I tried v 6.22 on my laptop and updated to v8.5 on my desktop and get the same problem.
I have only my mouse and keyboard in the usb ports on my desktop and only the data recorder usb on the laptop.
The led on the recorder is just flashing on and off steady.

I have not used this plane for over a year but I thought(I am sure) I had this all working with the upgraded to v3 data recorder. The LCD display works find.

I don't know what to do now.
Jun 15, 2010, 07:26 PM
Sky blue near dusk
try using a powered USB hub or another computer in your house. The Li-Po is not required to power it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
I get a Windows does not recognize the usb device when plugging in the usb cable to the v3 recorder after plugging in the plane's lipo.
I am running windows xp. I tried v 6.22 on my laptop and updated to v8.5 on my desktop and get the same problem.
I have only my mouse and keyboard in the usb ports on my desktop and only the data recorder usb on the laptop.
The led on the recorder is just flashing on and off steady.

I have not used this plane for over a year but I thought(I am sure) I had this all working with the upgraded to v3 data recorder. The LCD display works find.

I don't know what to do now.
Jun 15, 2010, 08:58 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
I don't have a powered usb hub. So I removed the software, then restarted the computer then reinstalled the version 8.5. I Also checked all the cables. Success it works on my desktop. Not sure but it appears after reinstalling the v 8.5 on my laptop it seems to be working. I'll have to do some more testing. I want the laptop for using it at the field. That why I traded a plane for a used laptop.

So it looks like I am back in business.
Jun 17, 2010, 02:08 AM
bob, glad you got it working!

one thing about powering with the lipo. It's not needed, but additionally if the lipo is plugged into the eLogger more than a minute or so before the USB is connected, the USB may have problems. THis is because we disable the USB after about a minute of being powered by the lipo, to save power. The USB tries to turn back on in this condition, but on some PCs it does not always turn on quickly enough apparently.
Jun 17, 2010, 08:54 AM
Falling with style
For me I always need to have the lipo connected to the eLogger for it to work. That is fine. Certainly because this ASUS motherboard has bad usb voltage. (not using a hub)

But sometimes the software hangs after selecting the profile, to fix the problem you need to disconnect the lipo (software will unfreeze), close the software, unplug usb, reconnect lipo, reconnect usb, restart software.

Only saying in case someone else have this problem.

-fred

Quick Reply