May 09, 2011, 08:32 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
You mean another Democrat was even worse than Obama......
We pulled ourselves out of the Great Depression via a full mobilization during WWII. Massive gov't spending.

Top tax rate was raised to 94% and by the Truman administration, the budget was balanced again.
May 09, 2011, 08:35 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor
We pulled ourselves out of the Great Depression via a full mobilization during WWII. Massive gov't spending.

Top tax rate was raised to 94% and by the Truman administration, the budget was balanced again.
Well, I hate to tell you, that wouldn't do any good now. Spending has to go down......way down.
May 09, 2011, 08:37 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief
Elect Ron Paul.
Would be fun...
May 09, 2011, 08:39 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
Well, I hate to tell you, that wouldn't do any good now. Spending has to go down......way down.
And that would throw us right back into a recession.

Housing is still in the dumper. Half the home sales in our area are foreclosure properties. Tax burden is at an all-time low. Something has to give and it's not totally the spending side.
May 09, 2011, 08:41 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Quote:
Name one Republican president who actually reduced our deficit.
I can't think of a single party or president in modern history who has not spent more than they brought in and added to our national debt.
May 09, 2011, 08:41 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
And that would throw us right back into a recession.

Housing is still in the dumper. Half the home sales in our area are foreclosure properties. Tax burden is at an all-time low. Something has to give and it's not totally the spending side.
Bull Crap.....raising taxes would kill us.....wake up.....
May 09, 2011, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
The next one if he has a conservative congress and senate!
Thats a big IF. The problem is that the majority of the Republicans are not as conservative as you give them credit for. If the Republicans get full control of the Congress and White house, you will see them move back to the left, similar to what they did from 2001-2006. Until we get rid of both parties and get a truly conservative power in Washington, nothing major will change.
May 09, 2011, 08:47 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflat
Now how about you name a republican president who reduced our deficit.
I'll give you a hint: It wasn't in modern times.
May 09, 2011, 10:29 PM
Quote:
I'll give you a hint: It wasn't in modern times.
So there actually was one? I googled it and got several answers including;
none, Coolidge and Eisenhower. No answer seemed definitive.
So, I give up. Who would you say it was.
May 10, 2011, 06:09 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
Bull Crap.....raising taxes would kill us.....wake up.....
Like it did during the 1950s??? Top tax rate then was 94% and we had an economic boom which erased the massive debts from the war.
May 10, 2011, 06:10 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairflr
Thats a big IF. The problem is that the majority of the Republicans are not as conservative as you give them credit for. If the Republicans get full control of the Congress and White house, you will see them move back to the left, similar to what they did from 2001-2006. Until we get rid of both parties and get a truly conservative power in Washington, nothing major will change.
And why would we want a "Taliban" government?
May 10, 2011, 06:12 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflat
So there actually was one? I googled it and got several answers including;
none, Coolidge and Eisenhower. No answer seemed definitive.
So, I give up. Who would you say it was.
Yup. On the GOP side it was them. Dem side it was Carter and Clinton. Take away 2009 and Obama is running a surplus.
May 10, 2011, 06:15 AM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
Like it did during the 1950s??? Top tax rate then was 94% and we had an economic boom which erased the massive debts from the war.
Different world in total. Different Government. Remember, Truman was the last honest and cost concerned Democratic President we've had. In fact, as for deficit spending, he and Eisenhower were very close and no one since has managed to do what they did.

Also, all liberals need to be generous with their own money and not force others to do their feel good deeds. That is our choice to make and most conservatives I know are quite generous with their own money.
May 10, 2011, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Yup. On the GOP side it was them. Dem side it was Carter and Clinton. Take away 2009 and Obama is running a surplus.
Lol. Take away all his spending and he's running a surplus. Those are some well crafted blinders you're wearing.
May 10, 2011, 07:37 AM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
Your post illustrates a little problem with elementary school math. It appears that if you ignore the budget of 2009 which Obama administered, he will only over borrowed a little over 3 trillion dollars over those two years. Unless something changes that means that he will actually force the borrowing to over 6 trillion dollars during his first 4 budgets. If he gets a second term he will probably, included role over interest, over 14 trillion during his presidency......that is a record that will choke the future.

Quick Reply