This thread is privately moderated by JamesNeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 07, 2012, 05:24 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthParkflyer
You wanna eliminate "Brown outs' ? Easy just run 72meg man
Personally I run Electron 6 knockoffs, $7 on Ebay, sure they glitch from time to time but a good flyer can deal with that .Every time I hit a momentary lockout I just think of the money I saved.
You didn't read what I said. Every piece of electronic equipment, past, present and future will brown out if you feed it less voltage than it requires to operate. That includes your Electron 6 knockoffs, Futaba equipment, JR equipment, Hobby King equipment and all the known equipment in the universe.

If you don't feed 'em what they require to operate they don't. That is no criticism of the equipment. It is a criticism of the operator of the equipment. Operators cause brownouts. All RC radio receivers will brown out if you feed them less than what they need.

You can't avoid brownouts by spending money on another receiver of any brand. You avoid brownouts by knowing the power requirements of your receiver and taking responsibility for making sure it always gets what it needs. If you do that no type of equipment will brownout.
Oct 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Guys, I fly with a Spektrum radio and love it. I was just trying my hand at a little soft-core trolling
Damn! He's good!
Oct 07, 2012, 05:27 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Quote:
If you don't feed 'em what they require to operate they don't.
Sounds an awful lot like advice for dealing with trolls, too.
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Oct 07, 2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Sounds an awful lot like advice for dealing with trolls, too.
+100 but we're not responding to the original troll, we're having our own conversations.

And SouthParkFlier, I use an OrangeRX radio for $5.00 and never have any glitches at all. So I get to enjoy money saved, plus as good performance as a $60.00 receiver. Not that I'd pull an AR500 out of a Radian and replace it with an OrangeRX.
Oct 07, 2012, 05:39 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Are you sure?
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Oct 07, 2012, 07:15 PM
An Ordinary User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthParkflyer
Personally I run Electron 6 knockoffs, $7 on Ebay, sure they glitch from time to time but a good flyer can deal with that .Every time I hit a momentary lockout I just think of the money I saved.
That's golden! I love this - no joke. I also like the 2-sided conversation going on. Thanks very much for that laugh.
Oct 07, 2012, 09:33 PM
2 many planes & 2 little time
Only a fool would think this is a sport to take to the local park.
Likely the cute little planes cause more (careless) injuries than the big loud lethal looking ones.
Does reckless newbie know what RPM the blades are spinning? Let that fly into your kids face while he is tyng his shoe

There is AMA insurance and fly fields for good reason

Yes, don't be so serious.
Do be as serious as you are driving a car or mowing the lawn... hey it has a prop. Not as sharp as a propeller or moving as fast, but still a little dangerous, no?
Oct 08, 2012, 12:17 AM
Unregistered night flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4

Yes, don't be so serious.
Do be as serious as you are driving a car or mowing the lawn... hey it has a prop. Not as sharp as a propeller or moving as fast, but still a little dangerous, no?
Surely you cant be serious.
Oct 08, 2012, 03:44 AM
Respect my AUTHORIFLYHHHH !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
+100 but we're not responding to the original troll, we're having our own conversations.

And SouthParkFlier, I use an OrangeRX radio for $5.00 and never have any glitches at all. So I get to enjoy money saved, plus as good performance as a $60.00 receiver. Not that I'd pull an AR500 out of a Radian and replace it with an OrangeRX.
That's $7 shipped on those 72meg Rx's ( Those interested can Pm me for the link) and I'm thinking they probably aren't glitching more likely interference from other flyers I see at the other end of the park and sometimes there's some Heli Dudes and RC car MoFo's on the basketball court in the school across the road.
I know my F 27B goes haywire when some of these guys switch on but it's all cool I probably cause them some grief, it all evens out in the end
Oct 08, 2012, 06:21 AM

Living proof

I am fairly new to this site and have just come across this thread. I have been in rc game for 50 years, on and off, most of which was with ic engines. I have recently taken up the hobby again and have entered into the world of electric power. Having built (in the loosest sense of the word nowadays!) several electric models I was really impressed with the fact that you can arrive at the field, fit the battery and be in the air within minutes. At the Nats this year I bought some more small electric models, plus the odd 84" petrol powered model (for those who think I have totally regressed). One was a Graupner Electro foam trainer. It went together easily and I had it nicely set up on the bench while setting up the control surfaces. One evening meal and 2 glasses of red later I went out to lock the garage. I then thought I would just check the controls again before I called it a day and reached over the model for the transmitter. That was when I committed the schoolboy error of catching the throttle with my thumb. As the battery was still connected in the model the prop started and ate into the back of my hand. Both blades of the prop broke up and I had several large gashes to show for it. Several hours later the bleeding had stopped thanks to the 39 stitches in A&E. The comments in the thread prompted me to write this as they describe exactly what happened to me; unused to motors springing into life on their own, underestimating the power of an electric motor and becoming careless. The 2 glasses of red probably didn't help but I have learnt my lesson and will be wearing kevlar gloves when anywhere near an electric prop (or glow for that matter!) I have attached a couple of photos but they are not for the squeamish! It may be worth considering this before launching an electric model in a public area?
Oct 08, 2012, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=5k turbo;22942834me . I have been in rc game for 50 years, on and off, .I had it nicely set up on the bench while setting up the control surfaces. . I would just check the controls again before I called it a day and catching the throttle with my thumb. model the prop started and ate into the back of my hand. [/QUOTE]

Noticed this with you ex IC electric convert boys, there seems to be a failure to regard a static model as potentially dangerous and still a dubiousness re electric powered models, that they are somehow not the real deal, foam toys, no serious threat.
An armed electric model with the transmitter unattended is like a loaded gun.
Moving in an around in reach of the prop or in the path of the plane should it unintentionally launch again shows a basic lack of care. Furthermore setting up control surfaces on an electric plane (Esc/Bec) on a bench with the prop attached !!?? Well your pictures say it all, lucky you didn't lose a digit there
Hard learning curve
Last edited by OneLastweedle; Oct 08, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Oct 08, 2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastweedle
Noticed this with you ex IC electric convert boys, there seems to be a failure to regard a static model as potentially dangerous...
Come on now! Any idiot can cut his hand to ribbons with an electric motor and E-prop. And since any idiot can do it, that means we're all vulnerable or we wouldn't be taking part in this thread!

I'd say the opposite of what you say is true. It's familiarity that breeds complacency and takes us off our guard. When we are new to electrics we're on our guard because of "dubiousness re electric powered models." When we KNOW it's all new, we are generally on guard every moment, making each move consciously and thinking more about what we do.

In general I'd say that we get careless from tiny, progressive warps in our routine over time. We become careless in such a subtle way that we don't even realize it and next thing we know we're in the emergency room.

I don't see any evidence that 5k takes electrics as any less legitimate than any IC model. After all, if he's gone to the Nats and bought electrics there he's involved more than most of us. I take your comment as a low, opportunistic and illegitimate blow. Shame, sir, shame!
This club is powered by an IC engine in the interest of justice.
Oct 08, 2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastweedle
Noticed this with you ex IC electric convert boys, there seems to be a failure to regard a static model as potentially dangerous and still a dubiousness re electric powered models, that they are somehow not the real deal, foam toys, no serious threat.
An armed electric model with the transmitter unattended is like a loaded gun.
Moving in an around in reach of the prop or in the path of the plane should it unintentionally launch again shows a basic lack of care. Furthermore setting up control surfaces on an electric plane (Esc/Bec) on a bench with the prop attached !!?? Well your pictures say it all, lucky you didn't lose a digit there
Hard learning curve
you can always tell a Texan, cause you cant tell them nothing.
Oct 08, 2012, 09:41 AM
What's that racket I hear?? Is it someone hunting for a clue?????????????????
Oct 08, 2012, 09:50 AM
Is it just me or is it NOT OK to go to the flying field and have a "few brewski's" before flying??!!!! Don't know about you, but I don't wanna be around anyone flying a 2 lb+ plane with a spinning prop who is on his way to being drunk. That's not bragging that's just dumb.

Quick Reply