Feb 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Is the RC Plane Hobby Alright for Twelve-Thirteen Year Olds?

Hi!

I'm 13 and I've been very keen to get into RC, so has my 12 year old cousin! We were just wondering whether it would be alright for people as young as us to start as a lot of people on this site are a lot older than us!
Thanks in advance!

P.S. My cousin and I are great frinds and we share this account
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2012, 05:01 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Yes. If you really want, and have some money. Contact a club. Check out the AMA websites about education and juniors. http://www.modelaircraft.org/
Feb 27, 2012, 05:20 PM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Welcome to RC Groups. It's a great hobby for kids your age. You might want to check out the beginner's forum here.

Hopefully there's someone locally who can advise you, but if not, just about everyone here is willing to help.

(I thought there was a teen forum, but I guess not, at least I couldn't find one)

Azarr
Feb 27, 2012, 05:20 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
There are a couple members here right around your ages. One of them just had his 13th birthday a few days ago, actually.

Personally, I started flying cheap toy-store RC planes when I was about 7 or 8, got my first "real" model (a helicopter) when I was 11, and started in "real" RC planes soon after that. I'm now 17.
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Feb 27, 2012, 05:28 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Welcome to the forum and to a wonderful hobby! Your ages are just fine for learning how to fly RC airplanes. Myself, I flew my first Radio control airplane when I was 10 yrs old, and still building and flying now nearly 40 years later.

Give us an idea whereabouts you are from, at least tell us what country you are from so that we can provide resource information suitable to your location.

Doubletap...... RC "Lifer"
Feb 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
Foam Av8r
Yep!

We need a lot more young folks to enjoy this hobby
welcome to the forums!
Feb 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
I was at the dog park today where i sometimes fly my UM Corsair and run my Tamiya Rally car around. Started with the car and soon I noticed a kid about 10 checking it out and he said "I know those cars" . Sounds like something I would have said at that age.. like "I know about what you are doing! Let me demonstrate!" I was adjusting something and he picked up the controller, so I let him drive it around for a minute until he hit a curb . It is just my bash around car, and its been bashed quite a bit already so I didn't mind. His friend came over and I let him have a go to. (Also the car's nicads had already passed peak so it wasn't going full speed anymore). He also immediately crashed it almost full speed into my foot which i stuck in front so it wouldn't hit the curb! Again no harm no foul but I was like "Okay lost your priviledges give it back!" He handed it right over.

I also had my UM F4U and blade MSR in the car but I had to take the dogs back home and I wanted to fly it without being bothered

I first started getting into RC at the age of 10-12 when my parents finally bought me a Grasshopper and I was just SOOOOO happy to get that, it was just an absolute dream come true at the time because I didn't expect my parents to spring for even that 100 dollar car (plus batteries, charger and radio of course).
Feb 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
Here is a link to a post where a fellow bought an Easy Star to teach his 8 year old:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post20874581

Look for Post # 1556 by Pocitelli
Feb 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
N36078 '41 BC-12-65
I bought my first radio (used) when I was 13. I tossed a lot of hay bales to buy it. By then I had been flying U/C and FF for at least 6 years. I am almost 54 now and getting back into flying helicopters again.

If you can afford it and are mature enough to do it safely then 13 is old enough.
Feb 27, 2012, 07:48 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
I was at the WRAM RC show this weekend and saw young kids flying in the indoor area that couldn't have been more than 10 years old, and they were flying the pants off those planes. The skill level some of these young guys show puts the adults in the room to shame.

This hobby is very much suitable for the young, and the older generation is often very very happy to have someone to share their knowledge with. I'm teaching my 7 year old daughter to fly right now on the sim, and she's gotten to fly my Champ by herself at the field the other weekend.
Feb 27, 2012, 08:11 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod
when my parents finally bought me a Grasshopper
I remember that kit, I chose the Fast Attack Vehicle over the Grasshopper though.

Yes you guys are old enough. Maybe not to fly on your own, but definitely old enough for the sport. I once saw an 8 year old girl flying pattern ships. She was a good pilot considering her age.
Feb 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
I'm 64 been messing around with this stuff on and off for over 54 years, it's a great hobby for just about any age kid. Teaches great building skills, especially if you get into some scratch building. Just think, learn how to use a sharp knife, with out bleeding out. Or solder wires without burning the house down. Just kidding, be careful, but do learn how to do things with your own two hands. That's a gift that just keeps paying dividends your whole life.

Bill
Feb 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
You need a money about $250 US to buy a simple foam high-wing ready to fly foamie trainer model complete with simple cheap transmitter, receiver, charger, and battery pack. But first, you should find a club in your area that has a training program with qualified instructors and a buddy box set up. Some clubs even have club training planes so you may not need to buy your own right away. Ask at a local hobby shop about clubs to join. There is no reason why you can't learn to fly and start enjoying the hobby if you have the interest and the money needed to get started . In a club, you will get advice about the best model and equipment to buy as your first one.
Feb 27, 2012, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
You need a money about $250 US to buy a simple foam high-wing ready to fly foamie trainer model complete with simple cheap transmitter, receiver, charger, and battery pack.
...Or less than a $100 for a Champ...

For $250, they could start with a Champ, then a UM T-28, then start building a flat foamy 3D aerobat. By then, maybe a Birthday or Christmas will score them a nice radio and some gear.
Feb 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
my dad started me on control line at 10. we started r/c at 13. im almost 29.

it depends is the answer. it requires patience & a clear understanding that you can hurt yourself & others.

providing that, sure.

Quick Reply