Dec 04, 2012, 02:42 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP

So after delicate surgery to remove foam to rout wires and such, I had to seatbelt in some wires and used silkspan for that. I sealed the ESC opening with a piece of wax paper also, so that no glue will get into it during assembly of the airframe. May not be needed, but insurance is cheap and light.

Fred

to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2012, 02:48 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP

My tiny hatch needed something to keep it from departing and also from pushing into the airframe when installed, so I am using some tabs. These are made from file folder card stock, and stiffened plus installed with CyA glue. They do not wigh much, but are very strong at this scale.

My airframe at 1/48th sclae seems small sometimes, yet seems large others. Go figure.

Next I glued the wng on. Everything is so small that if anything goes out, it will be lots of work and surgery to repair. That or scrafice the airframe to the gods of flight (LOL). If she flys, great, if she flys good, better. If she lasts a while, perfect! I am prepared for whatever the results bring.

Fred

Dec 04, 2012, 02:55 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP

What would a Mirage 2000 be if it didn't have the wing strakes aft of the TE? So without adding too much weight, I have to have some of the outline details "Just Because". 3mm depron strakes pre-cut, sanded, and such. Glued in place the bottom needed a flaring piece whih was 1mm depron, thinned out no less! Sanding 1mm depron to say 0.4mm in spots was interesting. Got to love foam plates for donating parts to science!

Fred :

Dec 04, 2012, 03:54 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
subbed a little late... looks great!
Dec 04, 2012, 05:26 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull
subbed a little late... looks great!
Thanks, and it is never too late.

F
Dec 05, 2012, 10:23 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP

Now getting ready to glue the front cockpit and nose cone assembly to the airframe. I fit the canopy and marked where to glue it on, and then made an opening for the actual cockpit. This is mainly for looks, but allows me some access to the RX as I assemble.

I used ink to blacken the inside, but after all the handling there was a second coat of sealer, a bit of silver paint under where the greenhouse goes, and some CyA for spot gluing as I worked, and it always adds a bit of weight. We now have gained another 0.1g. It is important early to try to keep weight off for these times it goes right back on! What a pain, LOL.

Fred

Dec 05, 2012, 10:26 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP

Tail fin added and final glued into position. Ready to finish up and get this thing into flight testing.

Fred

Dec 05, 2012, 10:34 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP

I guess this puts some perspective on the build. What you are looking at is the Orange Micro Receiver, mounted on the front of the airframe, ready to button it up using the nose section. Looks huge to me! LOL.

Someday I'd like to own some of the cool super sub-micro electronics, but it seems a great RX, 2 servos, and ESC could cost in the $350-$400 USD range. Might be worth it, and I could stretch for that, but then it would make my common man's builds out of reach for the masses. I do so try to use affordable parts and make it possible for everyone.

I did glue it in place, using Bathroom adhesive caulking. I does not hurt foam, is fairly light, flexable, and holds well. I figured this to be lighter than foam tape and whatever you choose to keep the tape stuck to foam. Horizon Products use this type of glue. What I did learn by experimenting, is if you drip alcohol on the caulk, let it sit a moment, and start to rub at it with say, a toothpick, it will soften right up for removal from your parts!

Fred

Dec 05, 2012, 03:59 PM
you might look into one of the DT rx's. if you can solder, you can get a .7 gram rc/esc and use the same servos for in the 50 shipped range. i usualy get mine direct from DT.
you could drop a couple grams pretty quick.

that thing is a work of art!
Dec 05, 2012, 05:32 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
mirage 2000 is one of my favs! looks awesome!
Dec 05, 2012, 06:04 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
you might look into one of the DT rx's. if you can solder, you can get a .7 gram rc/esc and use the same servos for in the 50 shipped range. i usualy get mine direct from DT.

Thanks, and I'll have to check that out after my Christmas season wallet cools off......

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
mirage 2000 is one of my favs! looks awesome!

Thanks CN. I like your's that you fly and have on your Avitar. I am going to look for a simple Camo scheme that I might be able to mist a 'Ghostly color' effect on to keep weight down, Other than that, pushrods and horns, we are ready to fly!

Fred
Dec 05, 2012, 07:51 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
Quote:

if he wants to use the same connectors as the 1.7 gram servos and the orange receiver he is using now, the rx-34 uses the same ones. it only weighs 0.68 grams too
Dec 05, 2012, 08:53 PM
i know that one, it rock! 6 ch, tho the oter two are pads, and the ESC is a pad as well. still comes in under 1g with the brushed esc connector.
Dec 05, 2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:

just curious, DT is who ?
Thanks.
Dec 05, 2012, 11:38 PM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004
just curious, DT is who ?
Thanks.
Deltang, I'm sure. Bob Selman of BSD Micro RC has them, here is a link. http://bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?categoryID=63&offset=0 Many to choose from, most appear to be under $50.00.

I got my RX down to 2g, so the weight savings would be 1.3g(+), and I think they have the ESC onboard, or it too can be lighter than mine (Mine 1g). Got to educate myself before I plunge that direction though. Actuators, sub-micro servos, so many choices. Probably could even save a bit on the battery. I a few years, who knows what they will have...... Always thought about a 900mhz system too.......

Fred

Quick Reply