Jan 13, 2011, 12:26 AM
Foam abuser!
Jeff,

Around 3.5oz without battery, 5.5oz with.

Pat
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2011, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Jeff,

Around 3.5oz without battery, 5.5oz with.

Pat
Yeah, that's my problem. I was so excited about this thread, I missed the 3mm!! thickness of foam. I used 6 MM on the bay and part of fuse and elevons, guess what, I'm easily twice as heavy. The "glide rate" is very heavy, really drops quickly. So instead of crying over spilled milk, or thick foam, I decided to add some wing area on the leading edge to create more lift. I'll give it a shot in the AM and if this fails, I'll make a new one out of 3MM foam.

First be sure than be quick!
Jan 13, 2011, 08:33 AM
Check your six
Quote:
Here's some video a friend of mine took for me last June. Yeah yeah, I know, I'm a little slow! (PS - This was about 4 planes ago! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JecsL8Xo4wQ

Pat
Pat I'm getting dizzy ........... I'll bet your pilot threw up too! Marty
Jan 13, 2011, 09:02 AM
Foam abuser!
Marty,

That's just how I roll!

One of these days I'm going to get a keychain cam, strap it to the plane, and really give you a ride!

Pat
Jan 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
Foam abuser!
Jef,

I've seen guys fly this plane made entirely of 6mm depron or EPP. Flies just fine.

By the way, the fuse is normally 6mm depron, but the rest is 3mm.

Pat
Jan 13, 2011, 09:32 AM
Check your six
Quote:
Marty,

That's just how I roll!

One of these days I'm going to get a keychain cam, strap it to the plane, and really give you a ride!

Pat
Gee, thanks I think! I'll just throw up again! Marty
Jan 13, 2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead
Yeah, that's my problem. I was so excited about this thread, I missed the 3mm!! thickness of foam. I used 6 MM on the bay and part of fuse and elevons, guess what, I'm easily twice as heavy. The "glide rate" is very heavy, really drops quickly. So instead of crying over spilled milk, or thick foam, I decided to add some wing area on the leading edge to create more lift. I'll give it a shot in the AM and if this fails, I'll make a new one out of 3MM foam.

First be sure than be quick!
You should be fine, as Pat stated earlier. Mine was built with depapered foamcore. This little bird has a fond place in my heart. It was my first scratchbuild and taught me tons. I built this before I knew anything about wingloading, or power systems, etc. It was also a very heavy build. Rudders, L/G, hot glue, KFm4... The first video -- she is at 8oz, and in the second - she is a little over 11oz!!!!!

Stay away from the setup in the first video -- I did not have a watt meter yet, and had no clue about batteries, amps, props, esc's, etc -- I am surprised that setup did not end in a fireball!lol

All the setup details are on the youtube pages in the video details.

8oz. -- Do NOT use this prop/esc/motor combo
F-22 Parkjet -- Phoenix (6 min 20 sec)

11.5oz -- this setup is safe (according to my calculations - my disclaimer!)
F-22 Parkjet 18.8" WS (4 min 25 sec)
Jan 13, 2011, 11:10 AM
Foam abuser!
I'm always happy to see people having fun with these planes. I'm not really in this to make a ton of money (OK, a little money is nice ), I just want people to share in the enjoyment of the planes. I have a blast flying mine and they never get old.

A friend of mine won one of my F-22 kits at a fly-in back in October. He had me build the plane for him as he had never really worked with depron foamies before (he is more into large scale planes and EDFs). He figured this would be a nice little toss around plane when he got bored with the big stuff.

Well, let me tell you, he now gets more flights on his F-22 than he does on all the rest of the planes in his fleet combined! He frequently takes it to a park down the street from his house, and all the neighbor kids gather around when he does. And even at the field he gets like 5 or 6 flights in on it every time.

He likes it so much that he just had me build him another one as the first was getting pretty beat up. You see, he likes to fly really low to the ground, most of the time inverted, and well, you know how that goes! That poor little plane has taken quite a beating, but he still has it as a flyable back up just in case he trashes the new one.

Pat
Jan 13, 2011, 11:26 AM
Check your six
Quote:
I'm always happy to see people having fun with these planes. I'm not really in this to make a ton of money (OK, a little money is nice ), I just want people to share in the enjoyment of the planes. I have a blast flying mine and they never get old.

A friend of mine won one of my F-22 kits at a fly-in back in October. He had me build the plane for him as he had never really worked with depron foamies before (he is more into large scale planes and EDFs). He figured this would be a nice little toss around plane when he got bored with the big stuff.

Well, let me tell you, he now gets more flights on his F-22 than he does on all the rest of the planes in his fleet combined! He frequently takes it to a park down the street from his house, and all the neighbor kids gather around when he does. And even at the field he gets like 5 or 6 flights in on it every time.

He likes it so much that he just had me build him another one as the first was getting pretty beat up. You see, he likes to fly really low to the ground, most of the time inverted, and well, you know how that goes! That poor little plane has taken quite a beating, but he still has it as a flyable back up just in case he trashes the new one.

Pat
How to you sleep at night Pat? All those people out there being addicted to your products! BTW, my backup airframe is done. Just need to paint her. Pics to come. Marty
Jan 13, 2011, 11:29 AM
Foam abuser!
Ha ha! And this is just one of many planes.

In fact, I've started offering building services to the local guys that want to get into a pusher jet (any pusher jet that has plans here). I'm building a larger SR-71 (the JTechLaser one) for a friend, and I also just drew him up a Concorde! Both will get the 2212-6 2200kv motor and 30A ESC combo.

Pat <--- fueling the addiction!
Jan 13, 2011, 11:44 AM
Check your six
Quote:
Ha ha! And this is just one of many planes.

In fact, I've started offering building services to the local guys that want to get into a pusher jet (any pusher jet that has plans here). I'm building a larger SR-71 (the JTechLaser one) for a friend, and I also just drew him up a Concorde! Both will get the 2212-6 2200kv motor and 30A ESC combo.

Pat <--- fueling the addiction!
You're a bad man! marty
Jan 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
Foam abuser!
Yes. Yes I am!

Pat
Jan 13, 2011, 11:54 AM
Check your six
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feel better now? Confession is good for the soul you know! marty
Jan 14, 2011, 02:05 PM
Tried 'Search'???

Do you have too??

OK, now I have had enough!!!

Will you guys please BE QUIET, SHUT UP!!!!

We have had c*** weather for longer than I can remember and when the weather was OK, I did not have the time to go flying!!!!

All I read about is how you guys are having a ball with this great model and get to watch videos of sexy F22s against a clear blue sky!!!

BUT SOON, I WILL BE BACK!!!!!!

PS, @ Pat, missing the catch at 4:05 was pretty understandable, but how did you miss the target at 4:21??? U should have got that!!!! How do U talk the guys U fly with into using thier Nutballs as targets for you????
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Jan 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
Tried 'Search'???

Prop Choice

Reading the recent comments on props with interest. My motor looks identical to the 1806N but I got it under the label ECE20 and it came with no KV rating. Anyway I think that it is an 1806N but probably the 2100K version because it was before the 2500K came out (I think). The point is....... I fitted a GWS 5 X 4.3 (5043) 'cos it looked about right, it fitted the slot and it is bendy to stop me having to buy a new one every flight
My Baby tips the scales at 184 Grams 'wet' (with fuel ) and it goes like on that (un-matched???) prop!!!!
If you guys are using APC props U do you need a licence, 'cos here in Germany you have to have one for a deadly weapon
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......

Quick Reply