Apr 26, 2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAW_Concours
I don't see why I should even set it to 4P. Might just as well leave it as 1P I guess.
When you set it to 4p, the mah display during the charge is divided by 4.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2011, 09:14 AM
Thread OP
I would like to know what their logic is in setting it up this way. I have a preset for each lipo. So my 4S3250 I want to charge at 3C. The preset is set to 10 amp. Then I might be charging anywhere from 1 to 4 batteries. I tell it 4P and it brings the amps down to 2.5 amps. Then I have to bring it back to 10 amps per battery.

I do love the charger. I even bought a second one.

In the last 3 months I have tested about 15 PB batteries using the regen discharge.
Apr 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAW_Concours
I would like to know what their logic is in setting it up this way. I have a preset for each lipo. So my 4S3250 I want to charge at 3C. The preset is set to 10 amp. Then I might be charging anywhere from 1 to 4 batteries. I tell it 4P and it brings the amps down to 2.5 amps. Then I have to bring it back to 10 amps per battery.

I do love the charger. I even bought a second one.

In the last 3 months I have tested about 15 PB batteries using the regen discharge.
Hi:

As I mentioned, my preference is to set charge current at the PL8 directly when charging parallel. It takes 10 seconds. When you set the current during the Start Charge questions, it saves it down to the preset automatically. Admittedly, it is not as easy to do using the CCS because you can not alter the preset on the Start Charge screen there.

Tim Marks
Apr 28, 2011, 06:20 AM
Thread OP
I agree it is easy. I did not even notice it was dividing the amps for 4 months. I don't use it much for Lipo's in the winter though.

I just think this could be better.

I don't know of anything that is 100% perfect.
Apr 30, 2011, 09:42 PM
I just got my PowerLab 8 and am in the process of setting up the presets. At first I was a little confused by the division of the charge rates.

If I have the charger set to charge one 5000 mAh battery at 5 amps then I get a 1C charge. However, if I am paralleling two 5000 mAh batteries do I need to up the charge rate to 10 amps to maintain a 5 amp charge per pack?

As a small workaround I made several sets of presets. One preset is setup for a one pack charge and another is set to a two pack charge, one 5 amps and the other 10 amps (Assuming I am charging the 5000 mAh packs at 1C).

Thanks for any info.

SunDevilPilot
Apr 30, 2011, 10:45 PM
BVH
BVH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot
However, if I am paralleling two 5000 mAh batteries do I need to up the charge rate to 10 amps to maintain a 5 amp charge per pack?

SunDevilPilot
Simple answer - Yes. The preset charge rate that you set is divided by the number of packs.
May 01, 2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH
Simple answer - Yes. The preset charge rate that you set is divided by the number of packs.
Thanks, Just needed to be sure.

SunDevilPilot
Jul 28, 2011, 01:40 PM
This still is not clear to me...I think an example in the manual would clear it up(one for now as well please)...

If I am using "generic faster lipo charge" with 2 batteries...do I change the preset to 2C if I have two batteries in parallel?

My packs are 6000mah...
Jul 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipper2000
This still is not clear to me...I think an example in the manual would clear it up(one for now as well please)...

If I am using "generic faster lipo charge" with 2 batteries...do I change the preset to 2C if I have two batteries in parallel?

My packs are 6000mah...
Hi:

If you have 1 6000 mAh pack connected, and you want to charge it at 2C, either set the AUTO to 2C, or select a manual charge rate of 12A.

If you have 2 x 6000 mAh packs connected in parallel, and you want to charge at 2C, either set the AUTO to 2C, or select a manual charge rate of 24A. When you connect packs in parallel, you double the capacity.

Does this answer your question?

Tim Marks
Jul 29, 2011, 11:08 PM
Yes...that is what I have been doing and am glad it's right.

What is the point to using the "C"...does it calculate the current automatically?
Jul 30, 2011, 12:01 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipper2000
Yes...that is what I have been doing and am glad it's right.

What is the point to using the "C"...does it calculate the current automatically?
Hi:

For information about AUTO charge, please check page 61 of the user guide:

http://revolectrix.fmadirect.com/sup.../item_1369.pdf

Tim Marks
Aug 03, 2011, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99
When you set it to 4p, the mah display during the charge is divided by 4.
I'm used to setting the total charge rate for parallel charging having come from an icharger but the logic behind the number of packs setting seems strange.

If the pl8 divides the mah for display during charging (i.e. a per pack rate) then surely it should multiply the set charge rate as well otherwise it just leads to confusion?
Last edited by 2bob; Aug 03, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Aug 03, 2011, 11:47 AM
Sindland MC SAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bob
I'm used to setting the total charge rate for parallel charging having come from an icharger but the logic behind the number of packs setting seems strange.

If the pl8 divides the mah for display during charging (i.e. a per pack rate) then surely it should multiply the set charge rate as well otherwise it just leads to confusion?
Hi,

Customers have already requested a change to how parallel charge rate calculation works. Currently, it divides the set rate by the number of packs in parallel. But customers want it to multiply the preset’s charge rate by the number of packs in parallel. So, we like this idea. We’re going to change it. We hope to release a substantial firmware/CCS revision in 2 weeks or so. I think you will like how the new firmware will operate with regard to parallel charging. Please be patient for a little bit longer.
Aug 03, 2011, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos
Hi,

Customers have already requested a change to how parallel charge rate calculation works. Currently, it divides the set rate by the number of packs in parallel. But customers want it to multiply the preset’s charge rate by the number of packs in parallel. So, we like this idea. We’re going to change it. We hope to release a substantial firmware/CCS revision in 2 weeks or so. I think you will like how the new firmware will operate with regard to parallel charging. Please be patient for a little bit longer.
That's great news.

This is one of the main reasons why i've just bought a pl8 - there does seems to be a willingness to take suggestions from users on board and make changes where appropriate.

How about this one. I'll be using at least 6 parallel balance boards at once, how about making them interlock physically in order to bring some order to my charging station?
Last edited by 2bob; Aug 03, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Aug 04, 2011, 09:42 AM
Sindland MC SAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bob
That's great news.

This is one of the main reasons why i've just bought a pl8 - there does seems to be a willingness to take suggestions from users on board and make changes where appropriate.

How about this one. I'll be using at least 6 parallel balance boards at once, how about making them interlock physically in order to bring some order to my charging station?
Hi,

That might be kind of tough from where we are now, but I have seen photos from customers who made up their own charging boards and mounted the Safe Parallel Adapters to it. Pretty slick too!

Quick Reply