Oct 24, 2010, 11:10 AM
Zach
Thread OP
Discussion

Free to good home, 14.5 ft. Steam Ship

I have a 14.5 foot steam ship I need to get out of my garage. It's a 1/20 scale model of the Central America. She was built to scale except she is a little wider so I could ride in it. This was built as a manned model ship. It has functional paddle wheels that are peddle powered. I am asking $30 for the wheels. Hull width at the wheels is 31".

Now this is the interesting part. The boat was built for a local cardboard boat regatta that is no longer held so it is made out of about lbs of cardboard. It's held together by 4 gal of wood glue and about 9 tubes of liquid nails. It's as solid as a rock and some of the bulkheads are over 1-2" thick. It does float thanks to about 20 layers of paint and polyurethane that seal the cardboard from the water.

I had it one ebay for a while and I had a person in Canada and a person in England that both wanted it but needless to say that was a little to far for them to come pick it up. Both of them wanted to fiberglass it and turn it into a permanent manned model ship and maybe motorize it. I later found out the the man in England had a huge aircraft carrier powered by a outboard motor that the Royal Navy used for recruiting. It was complete with model aircraft and people on the flight deck.

If you want to fiberglass it you may want to rebuild the last foot of the hull. There is a small water damage spot.

The boat is located in Illinois about 90 miles east of St. Louis in the small town of St. Elmo.

You can PM me or contact me at tailspin@tailspinaviation.com
I've been storing this for 5 years and need to get rid or it.

Yes, I am aware that I'm crazy but you are more than welcome to share in my insanity.

Zach

SS Central America, Cardboard Boat (1 min 31 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2010, 12:57 PM
Retired for now
Well there's still room on top of my trailer---------! Naaaaaaaa! Might put a hole in the rubber roof. It is a nice looking ship though. Runs nice too. Pete
Oct 25, 2010, 05:13 PM
I live 50miles west if St Louis? How about well meet in the middle?
Oct 25, 2010, 08:40 PM
Zach
Thread OP

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut
I live 50miles west if St Louis? How about well meet in the middle?
Sorry, you're about a day late. Someone else in St. Louis is going to adopt her and fiberglass her.

I apologize for not updating sooner.

Anyone interested in the history of the SS Central America should check out the book "The Ship of Gold". The History Channel also did a piece on her.
To date it is the largest treasure ship ever salvaged.

Zach
Oct 26, 2010, 10:49 AM
Greenboat!!!!!!
Oct 26, 2010, 11:26 AM
Grumpa Tom
Longbike!!!!!!

Quick Reply