Jul 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best plane for windy conditions?

Hi All, I'm getting ready to purchase my first RC airplane but this might be a tough question. The area I live is never a zero wind condition, but there are days where we might get down as low as 2-5mph wind which is when I'd be doing the most flying. A foamie trainer will probably be a waste of $$ in these conditions? What type of plane should I get. I want electric... Perhaps you might say the best plane is one with not a lot of lift? A more symmetrical wing design? Or suggest an actual model to get? I already have a 5 channel DX5e Spectrum radio. I'm hoping for an ARF plane, that I can also land on the water with the addition of pontoons. A lot to ask maybe...

Thanks!!
Richard
Last edited by rnorman3; Jul 15, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2012, 02:52 PM
AMA 537620
I'd say get a HobbyZone Super Cub (which will bind to your radio) and try not to fly in turbulent conditions. The Super Cub has the advantage of being bigger than the most popular "teach yourself" foamie", the Hobby Zone Champ and will still be nice and docile for a first timer. Getting a hot plane that can cut through the wind will be a bigger waste of money than a trainer that might get tossed around by the wind. A fast plane will just give you a lot less time to react and will bury itself in the ground that much farther... thr super cub like might actually stay in the air long enough to teach you something between your initial "rough landings" and it will literally bounce back from most air-ground interaction.

You can put floats on most planes (high wingers in particular) with only a couple slight modifications.
Last edited by ChillPhatCat; Jul 15, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Jul 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for that i have just asked a simuler question on my post.
Cheers Jon.
Jul 15, 2012, 03:06 PM
If you have never flown an RC airplane before, ANY airplane would be a waste of money in those conditions. Your goal should be to lean how to fly an airplane, period, not necessarily to fly in windy conditions. To that end, the Hobbyzone Super Cub would be a great first choicce. It will fly in 5-7 mph winds and even more as you gain experience.
Jul 15, 2012, 03:13 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
Talking from experience my advise would be get a simulator to learn how to fly unless you have Deep pockets. There are those that will disagree but I would have been a successful flyer faster an cheaper if my first plane would have had ailerons. I hate a 3 channel, airplane it's harder to fly, in my opinion. My 1st plane was the HZ super Cub and I struggled with only rudder and elevator. Regardless of that, a sim will save your ass, where your wallet is.....ZEE
Jul 15, 2012, 03:14 PM

Wind

When I started flying wind was a problem. Now I enjoy a good windy day.
Wind can be many different things depending on your environment.
A steady wind is much easier than gusting and turbulence.
Hills can cause the wind to do strange things near the ground.
Higher up you can find thermals. Gliders love wind.
Learning to coordinate rudder+aileron helps making turns.

As long as the motor is strong enough, the nose heavy enough and you have ailerons, just about anything will fly in a good wind. I have a aileron modified super cub that does wind nicely, also a small profile foamy that can handle windy days.
Jul 15, 2012, 03:28 PM
AMA 537620
FWIW, the Super Cub is float ready with their float kit and as Ranandar said, you can modify it for aileron control.
Jul 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
Passion
This is one of the questions that pop up frequently. I agree, get a plane that is within your abilities and learn to fly, including calm and windy conditions. Agreed, some of the cheap planes are terrible in the wind, but any decent plane can be flown in windy conditions, it all depends on the pilot.
Jul 15, 2012, 03:39 PM
The best plane for windy conditions depends on the skill of the pilot doing the flying. There is no such animal as the best for windy weather flying. Some are better than others but none are fool proof.

BM
Jul 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1628209
Jul 15, 2012, 07:15 PM
Thread OP

How about UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF

Thanks for the replies! I don't want to get a cub and have to modify it for ailerons 8-(... I found this similar UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF. It seems to have ailerons and even flaps. I have a DX5e so that should control the entire thing? Would this plane be an equally good option or better even?

Thanks!
Jul 15, 2012, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM
The best plane for windy conditions depends on the skill of the pilot doing the flying. There is no such animal as the best for windy weather flying. Some are better than others but none are fool proof.

BM
there is one its called a kite
if the wind gets much over 15mph i break out my stunt kite
Jul 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
Passion
Slope soaring. No wind – no fly. High wind – best flying.
Jul 16, 2012, 01:38 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Winds up to 5mph are fine but I wouldn't fly in anything more than that in the beginning. As already said, the ability to fly in wind depends on the experience of the pilot as much as the plane. The hobbyzone super cub bnf definitely fits the bill for what you're looking for. You don't have to modify it with ailerons if you don't want to you can just fly it with 3-channels then move on to something like the e-flite apprentice or parkzone t-28. Be sure to master your plane over land before trying it on water. The carbon cub isn't for someone with no flying experience. If you haven't already I suggest reading the six keys to success for new pilots, it covers the most common mistakes that beginners make.
Jul 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen
Slope soaring. No wind – no fly. High wind – best flying.
you need a slope for that far to flat out here

Quick Reply