Jan 20, 2013, 04:43 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by trout911
Has anyone else used Champ parts for another plane?
These use Champ electronics... I really like that Piper Vagabond

... and the bi-plane.

http://www.stevensaero.com/Micro-Bui...p-1-c-362.html
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2013, 08:46 PM
An Ordinary User
Quote:
Has anyone else used Champ parts for another plane?
I made a 12" UFO for fun. Details in my blog.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1543340

Jan 20, 2013, 08:48 PM
That biplane looks nice. Pricing is nice as well. That would be the plane to add ailerons too.

I flew my creation this afternoon. Took alot of work to get it into the air. It flew pretty good until it hit some wind. Then it was like a paper plate in a hurricane. Did have enough trottle/elevon authority. Im gonna give it another shot without the wind..
Jan 20, 2013, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB
Goober, that ufo flys stable. How much elevon movement do you have?

Think the Champ motor could handle a 550mah 1S?
Jan 20, 2013, 10:15 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Goober, that ufo flys stable. How much elevon movement do you have?

Think the Champ motor could handle a 550mah 1S?
More mAh doesn't really hurt the motor. The weight of a heavy battery hurts flying characteriestics, and the requirement to fly at high power settings to keep aloft with the heavier battery may reduce the motors life.
Jan 21, 2013, 01:36 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare
thank you, for your response, looking forward to your next flight if capturing the moment on film?
So I had quite the adventure today. Even though common sense would say not to try to take the Champ up 1,000 feet plus on a windy day, I did it anyway.

I took off into the wind and circled to gain elevation. I had it pretty close to full throttle fighting the wind and trying to get up there quickly while my buddy's Bixlar had enough battery to get up there and confirm. It was way too high and too small for the range finder, which is why we need him to confirm.

I took it up and 500 feet was confirmed, then 650, then 800, then 900, then I am not sure exactly what height you are, but it is closer to 1,100 than it is 1,000. All the while it was drifting away from me and got to the point there I couldn't see which direction I was heading to bring it back.

I ending up using some down elevator to get it close to me as quickly as I could in an attempt to make it so I could get it back. At one point I was thinking that the speck (my Champ) was going to disappear and be lost forever. Luckily, the going lower fast plan worked out and I was able to fly it back, do a victory loop with what was left of the battery and land it as I hit LVC.

The guys I fly with aren't impressed with micro planes at all, but they were pretty thrilled about that accomplishment that I had with the Champ/DX6i combo.

There may also be some video of it soaring above the Bixler, but it might be a bit before that footage can be verified. My friend's computer has been having a lot of issues lately and is on the DL.

GB
Jan 21, 2013, 03:08 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
nice!
Jan 21, 2013, 04:56 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
nice!
Thanks! I am shocked I got it back down with that wind. The higher I got, the worse it was.
Jan 21, 2013, 06:42 AM
Like a Tortoise
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden
So I had quite the adventure today. Even though common sense would say not to try to take the Champ up 1,000 feet plus on a windy day, I did it anyway.

GB
unbelievable! that sounds totally amazing? what was the confirm with, a meter, or visual?

We all are waiting for the show. Thanks you for sharing

As the folks here say

Happy all worked out.

A excellent Dive is always the thrill
Last edited by hare; Jan 21, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Jan 21, 2013, 06:46 AM
Sounds like a very exciting flight! Glad you met a goal of joined the 1,000 ft club with the Champ.
Jan 21, 2013, 10:57 AM
Lets fly away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB
Cool little build. I like how the rooster just casually watches it fly past. Have you tried switching from a Vapor prop, to a Champ prop? It should make it faster
Jan 21, 2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
These use Champ electronics... I really like that Piper Vagabond

... and the bi-plane.

http://www.stevensaero.com/Micro-Bui...p-1-c-362.html
If you like building, Stevens Aero has a micro builder program where you get a new kit 4 times a year. They all use champ guts and they have a cool little clip system where you can swap out the brick.

I am currently building the bipe. I just have to cover it and install the controls.
Jan 21, 2013, 11:43 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
I was up pretty high once. In a strong wind too. It was blowing my Champ away from me and nothin was working to get her back. I had to get the nose pointed at the ground and go WOT to get her back to me. It was a lesson that is hard to learn. Loosing one into the sunset is the worst lesson of all. If you can't find it...ya can't repair it. So, no matter what...better to crash her in, than to save it and loose it forever. Write your phone number on the fuse and wing. Anyway, was an exciting read. Thanks for sharing. Happy Flyin
Lee
Jan 21, 2013, 02:56 PM
in my hobby zone cart i have the champ and two extra batteries free. total of 3 batteries. is 3 batteries enough?

i also have an extra wing, some ca glue and an extra prop. anything else i should add before i make the purchase?
Jan 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
Sounds like your off to a pretty good start to me. Do you have a computer radio like a spektrum DX6I?

Quick Reply