Jul 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
F450 ContourGPS Mexico (2 min 13 sec)

Rocky Point Mexico trip. Too bad my flying was cut short from a DJI 10" prop breaking in mid air.
The mount on the ContourGPS is worn out causing the vibrations, and it was crazy windy there.
Sorry, don't know how to edit music into the video.
Last edited by jasper7821; Jul 17, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
manual flying apologist
Glad you took it with you

Damn you go to Mexico a lot!
Jul 17, 2012, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
Ya, it's only a 4hr drive and the closest beach around. ( and the cheapest )
Jul 17, 2012, 01:50 PM
manual flying apologist
4 hrs isn't bad
Jul 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275
4 hrs isn't bad
Ya, our baby requires an ocean visit every few months. If not she gets upset.
Its a pain getting her out of the water, she loves the beach so much.
Jul 17, 2012, 03:17 PM
manual flying apologist
cool dog, i know the feeling.

my dalmatian loves to run and swim, he spends a month with us on a ranch in WY and then comes back home to a small backyard!
Jul 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
cool dog, i know the feeling.

my dalmatian loves to run and swim, he spends a month with us on a ranch in WY and then comes back home to a small backyard!
Thanks.

Ya, our backyard is very tiny.
Jul 17, 2012, 04:04 PM
I'm no rocket surgeon.

You can hear the props resonating in the first video. That wa wa wa sound is the harmonics coming into tune and resonating up and down in frequency. I can hear the same sound in the second, but it's much quieter.

Bernd - posted a video of how smooth his is for reference.

Quad Test-1.MP4 (1 min 45 sec)

I think the motors are the culprit. I have balance my props almost perfect. The motors are making a to of vibrations. One of my motors is missing a shim. I need to get one of those. I'm just not sure of the size. I'm going to attempt the ceiling fan method with tape.
Jul 17, 2012, 04:37 PM
manual flying apologist
yeah lead tape is great, from a golf or tennis store
Jul 17, 2012, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
My ContourGPS helmet camera mount is very old and the camera vibrates on it when hovering. I though that was the reason for the funny sound.
I was going to attempt at balancing the motors but never did.
I'l hover it tonight with my Drift helmet camera on top of the battery and see if it sounds funny. If it does then I guess I need to balance the motors since the props are already balanced.
I also thought that the motors didn't need balancing because when I recorded hovering with my cell phone it sounded pretty good and not at all like it does from the helmet camera video.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TioDave
I'm no rocket surgeon.

You can hear the props resonating in the first video. That wa wa wa sound is the harmonics coming into tune and resonating up and down in frequency. I can hear the same sound in the second, but it's much quieter.

Bernd - posted a video of how smooth his is for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ysd4T4Ifs

I think the motors are the culprit. I have balance my props almost perfect. The motors are making a to of vibrations. One of my motors is missing a shim. I need to get one of those. I'm just not sure of the size. I'm going to attempt the ceiling fan method with tape.
Last edited by jasper7821; Jul 17, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Jul 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
yeah lead tape is great, from a golf or tennis store
Cool, thanks.
I'll get a roll of this on my way home. I have trim tape from the hobby shop that I use to balance the props.
You think this is heavier and easier to balance the motors with ?

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/300...tape-1-2-x-75-
Jul 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
manual flying apologist
yep for sure!

I have and use 1/4" wide tape, but that 1/2" will work, i also use it to balance root hubs of props.
Jul 17, 2012, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
yep for sure!

I have and use 1/4" wide tape, but that 1/2" will work, i also use it to balance root hubs of props.
Cool, thanks. I'll grab some.
Jul 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
Nice work!

I have just ordered an F450 and going to use the same battery as yours. Have you measured the max current draw from those motors?
Jul 17, 2012, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknotronix
Nice work!

I have just ordered an F450 and going to use the same battery as yours. Have you measured the max current draw from those motors?
No I have not. I don't have anything to measure with.

Quick Reply