Dec 21, 2012, 02:56 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
wind is insane outside. And I'm on vacation. Mother Nature always liked the OTHER kid better.

Turbo, that Edge intriques me (code for "not high on the wish list yet, but moving up"). What do you think of it?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
It is a rare partly sunny day in between rain rain rain days in Portland. Trying to decide whether to make the trek to the field assuming the weather holds or just fly in the nearby park and watch out for evil trees.
Dec 21, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm starting to like it a lot better.. At first it felt a bit unstable... It would porpise a lot - like I could never get it to be locked in.

I balanced the motor, changed to GWS prop, and played with the CG a bit and now I like it much more. I have a DX8 on my Christmas wish list, if I get it I am curious to see how the flight characteristics change with the 540QQ setup file from Horizon. Right now using old Futaba 9C with Spektrum module for everything so I need to set up myself. Which isn't a big deal, but I'd love to see how the "experts" have it set up

I would say it's a good plane.. I haven't regretted the purchase. I like how it has a bit of weight to it to toss it around.. Like diving then to vertical and chopping the power while throwign a blender - it will continue skyward till the momentum stops.. Something the UMX planes don't do due to lack of mass and inertia.. It just fles like a bigger plane. I am digging it so far!
Dec 21, 2012, 03:18 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Thread OP
Got packs charged for the Turbo Flea and Slipso. It's sunny out today, but only 14F. Not too cold, though definitely hard on the exposed fingers. Speed flying is tough with thumbs that don't work right. I think I'll go anyway.
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Dec 21, 2012, 04:02 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Saturday is too windy.
Sunday is maybe.
No idea about Mon & Tues.

My Radian Pro will be 2 years old on Xmas Day.
Still flying GREAT!
Crash
Dec 21, 2012, 05:30 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Thread OP
Whoops Had a little too much fun with the throttle on the Slipso. Pack settled out to 10.26V after the flight. I am seriously lovin' this plane. The landing was smooth and very, very long due to the ice crust on the snow. I like the new field, though, because it gives me ~250 yards to set up for landing and then a solid 200 more for overshoot protection

I knocked the right fin off the Flea when I was getting in the van with it, so that pack is still charged and ready for tomorrow. I hate to leave it charged overnight, but I do what I gotta
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Dec 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Whoops Had a little too much fun with the throttle on the Slipso. Pack settled out to 10.26V after the flight. I am seriously lovin' this plane. The landing was smooth and very, very long due to the ice crust on the snow. I like the new field, though, because it gives me ~250 yards to set up for landing and then a solid 200 more for overshoot protection

I knocked the right fin off the Flea when I was getting in the van with it, so that pack is still charged and ready for tomorrow. I hate to leave it charged overnight, but I do what I gotta
That sounds awesome!

I got a 9958 heli coming in the mail for the winter. Hoping to get that crack yak for XMas
Dec 22, 2012, 01:59 PM
Boost rules!
Hello everyone! I see some familiar people in here...

Haven't had any decent flying wx lately, so I've been getting my RC fix indoors with the MV & nCPX. I had a few of my hot-rodding friends over last night to watch the Buick Grand National documentary that came out on Dec 11th (I own an '87 GN). None of the guys are RCers, but they've watched me fly in the yard and/or at the club field. They saw the MV & talked me into flying it. I few a few circuits around the living room, and then got brave & decided to try something I had thought about a few times - approach a wall in high-alpha, blip the throttle & pull up at the last second, land on the wall momentarily, then nail the throttle & try to fly out of it. I figured that I might be able to pull it off with a Hyp 70, since the plane easily hangs on the prop with that batt. I managed a couple of wall landings, but the 'flying out of it' part didn't work out quite like I had envisioned. We were all laughing pretty hard by the time I landed.

It's a balmy +24 F, with hardly a breath of wind. I'm heading out to shoot some on-board video from the UMX Carbon Cub on floats, flying off the snow in my yard. I have yet to try carrying the #16 cam with the floats on. I also have a new Hyp VX 1800 35c pack for the 300X that I want to finish breaking in.

EDIT: Here's an on-board clip from the Carbon Cub on floats. Just flying around my north, east, and south yards. I also flew over my woods just a bit to get a view of the lake at the east end of my property. AUW was a portly 129g with the floats & #16 cam, yet she had plenty of grunt. Even pulled off a loop from level flight! Plus, she was still agile enough for some figure-eights in my north yard. Like her full-scale counterpart, this baby can haul a load! I have no doubt that she could haul her own weight.

Climb into the front seat & come along for a ride. Don't forget the barf-bag!

On-board video - UMX Carbon Cub in the snow (6 min 20 sec)

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 22, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Dec 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
Not a bad couple of days. Left work at 3pm yesterday and was at the field by 4pm with the MUS and Eflite T-34.

I've discovered inverted dead stick flight with the MUS. As it floats down closer to the ground it goes into a harrier with just minor throttle inputs. I'm talking 10% if that. I'm getting them pretty close to the ground. On the first flight I got too close. Stalled while inverted about three feet off the ground. I couldn't recover in time and smacked the ground. It ding'd the wing tip a little, but that was it. I put a second flight on it. Also put in a couple of nice flights on the T-34.

Today I took the MUS, Maxford Ultimate and the T-34 out. The wind really picked up to about 15mph. Dang, I didn't feel like fighting with the T-34 and Ultimate and had so much fun with the MUS yesterday. So, I put four flights in on it. Really enjoying the harriers in the wind. I actually smacked the ground three times today. Three crashes on the MUS. Only a couple of scuffs. Except for the last one which managed to snap the motor shaft off at the bell. LOL!

What a blast! Sorry that was so long guys.

Merry Christmas!
Last edited by cwolfe; Dec 22, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Dec 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
Cool video TP!! I love your yard! Lots of space, very nice

Good stuff.
Dec 23, 2012, 08:12 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
Heading out to manhatten today for the break. No flying there
Dec 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
I make metal smaller.
Going flying. 25* out, I guess I'm desperate
Dec 23, 2012, 09:00 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
The forecast for the next week is 38 and 39 C - 100 to 102 F.

Mmmmmm......that makes it a bit tricky, especially with strong winds.
Dec 23, 2012, 02:13 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23
Heading out to manhatten today for the break. No flying there
You couldn't slip a Nano Cpx into your coat pocket?

Dec 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
Hey all. Merry Christmas. May all of you have many planes and helis under your trees. As for me, I happen to know that there is a nano cpx waiting for me and my radio is already programmed for it. This time tomorrow. . . .

I'M GOING OUT FLYING!

Quick Reply