View Poll Results: Will this RC Harrier jet ever be built or work?
I think it will work. I have 20$ to burn so here you go. 8 13.33%
I think it will work but you don't have the skills to do it so no $ for you. 4 6.67%
I would help with sponsorship but your plane kind of looks like crap. 4 6.67%
LOL another dead Harrier thread! Nice try loser. Get a job and buy your own damn stuff. 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Jul 05, 2012, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Jump Jet Harrier- Sponsors get plans

///Edit- Let me know in this poll if I should ask a hobby shop to help with funding instead of asking fellow modelers.

-----Original Post below-------
Here is my idea for a profile-ish harrier that can take off and land vertically. I have seen the Guanli harrier with 4 EDF units and there is a reason I am not going that route.

If you want to sponsor the build with a paypal donation of 20$, then you'll get more detailed images of the build and PM tech support from me to help you build your own.

Going to try for a flight time of 4 minutes with this build. That will be the most difficult part I think.
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 16, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2012, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Got one confirmed Sponsorship for 22.00$ from RCvertt. That's one EDF system in the bag. Now we're talking.

Any other takers...
Jul 06, 2012, 08:44 AM
Thread OP
Added some details to the Nozzles without adding much weight. Rear nozzle now has a more scale look instead of just a round cup and the front nozzle has the little air scoop in front of it.

Not sure if I want to add landing gear to the wings. Would look nice but I'm worried about weight since this thing has to hover and fly forward.
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 06, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Jul 06, 2012, 02:44 PM
Thread OP
HomeDepot fake foam add. Is there something wrong with my eyes or does this foam on the right side of the image look like the blue Dow extruded foam we all know and use?

Looked online and it says 45 pieces at a local place and 50 at one a few miles away. Went down to the local one and all they have is the same old white junk I have always seen there. It's expanded foam like the kind you see in an inexpensive water cooler and has the plastic film on one side and the metal film on the other

So I just called the other place, gave them the sku# they asked for off the web site I said I was looking at, was transfered to the hardware department and got a guy that said they don't have the blue stuff just the white stuff with the metal film that is much better

Looks like the old bate and switch to me. What do they think I'm doing, building a house
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 06, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Jul 07, 2012, 10:22 AM
Thread OP
Put some landing gear on the wings. I'd like to make them functional but for now they will just have to be static dummies due to weight concerns. I think it looks enough like a harrier now though. Time to put down the mouse and pick up some foam. I think Home Depot did me a favor since I'll be going pure Dollar Tree foam now with a KF airfoil.

It would seam by the poll that there may be a skeptic or two in the crowd. My friends, I assure you that this is real and that I truly have the magic Jump Jet elixir and that it will be given to you in PDF form for one simple donation. I'm starting to purchase parts now so remember my friends, this is a limited time offer so act now.

It's possible that the voter didn't understand the poll so I'll reiterate what the options are here...
1) You are one of the coolest people in the world and wish to give to the cause for the unlikely chance of owning one of the coolest RC jets in the world.
2) You don't think I have the magic Jump Jet elixir to cure your Jump Jet ailments.
3) Plane no look good.
4) You think this is all just the scam that it is.
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 07, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Jul 08, 2012, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Got the KF airfoil planned out and some numbers on there for the airframe. It's a little small for a 55mm fan. Might have to go 65 so I can see the thing when it's in the air. To my surprise my initial CG estimate was exactly where the final calculations placed it. Didn't even have to move the fans around a little to accommodate the CG location. This thing almost has me convinced that it might work

Not sure what is going on with the poll numbers. Either there is a glitch in the system or 4 Illuminati members don't want to see this bird built by the masses. Not sure how long I will be able to transmit until they shut this project down, so keep the dream alive people......end communication.
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 08, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Jul 09, 2012, 05:54 AM
Warbirds Lover
Man,
It seems you had forgotten that the real harrier use a very complex lateral stability control system based on high pressure air flows used to control the plane stability while his speed is under the stall speed.

This system use a lot of air exhaust nozzles that are mainly located at the wing tips and at the plane's tail.

The 4 big exhaust nozzles that are located under the wings root that are not used to control the plane while the Vertical take off or Vertical Landing sequence.
They are just used as a kind of sustentation providers.

This is some pictures of the air exhausts that are used to control the lateral stability - May be it will help to understand the poll...

Good luck for your design, I hope you will make me dreaming
Jul 09, 2012, 08:19 AM
BlackLivesMatter.
Good Luck!
Jul 09, 2012, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
...It seems you had forgotten that the real harrier use a very complex lateral stability control system...
All good points but fear not my young padawan. This aircraft has been designed to not need such a system for VTOL as long as no wind is around. If a mouse farts a mile away then you should still be able to enjoy a short rolling takeoff and landing. Thanks for the kind words and I'll do my best in convincing you to join the dark side as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459
Good Luck!
Thanks I'll need it. Looks like a Mason has joined forces with the Illuminati but the resistance is growing.
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 09, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Jul 09, 2012, 01:25 PM
BlackLivesMatter.
yeah the number 2 was me...
Jul 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
The rest are going to be soooooo jelous when just you and I are flying around our super cool new Harrier jets. Hey, can't say we didn't give the rest a chance to join in the fun. Just got some DT foam so time is running out to join the project.

Just need a little more $$$ then it's off to Vegas... I mean the RC flying field I go
Jul 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
well id love to sponser ya mate. i wish you every success in this project. unfortunately money is tight at the minute so nothing from me, but please make me jealous, its one of my all time favs, and i wish you every success . Keep us all posted, and dont forget the vid. Have a look at foam and tapes vtol aircraft, i know his has the motors on the wings, but similar idea. Might give a few ideas for controlling the transition from vertical to forward flight, also, you might get more stability in hover, i dunno, im no expert so dont shoot me down lol. just trying to help where i can....Ian
Jul 14, 2012, 10:39 PM
Thread OP
Moral support is worth its weight in gold so thanks for that. It'll be the same basic idea as a 4 propped plane with just fans replacing the props and a few other minor adjustments to help efficiency. Transitions might be a little more tricky for my piloting abilities since the plane will be moving faster than a prop plane but I think it'll be easy enough. Flight times still have me concerned though.

Got some more work done on the build. Made a few more adjustments to the airframe to help efficiency. It's basically a mash up of the efficiency from the first design with as much of the look of the second design as I could fit in.

Wings are cut. That's right people. We lost some ground but for those still on the fence in supporting this war effort FOAM has been CUT, a little blood was also spilled when I nicked myself with the x-acto knife, but the seriousness here is that Foam...Has...Been...CUT........
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Jul 15, 2012, 12:55 AM
Cool idea I need to set a record with my 120" cub then I will start back on my harrier project. I think I will have a few thousand wrapped up in it when I am done so it might take awhile. I think I can, I think I can
Jul 15, 2012, 01:31 AM
here ya go mate, this is foam and tapes thread on his vtol plane... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=vtol

Might give a few ideas for tilt, etc, Ian...

Quick Reply