May 10, 2012, 04:12 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

List of all flying events?

I am looking for a list of all RC flying events that are held nation-wide. I have the list from the AMA website but was wondering if there is a more comprehensive list, and preferably (I know, wishful thinking) one that shows them all on a map (like maybe a google maps mashup?). if I can't find one maybe I will start one on google maps.

Thanks

Oh, and it would be great to be able to have some attendance records.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
I am looking for a list of all RC flying events that are held nation-wide. I have the list from the AMA website but was wondering if there is a more comprehensive list, and preferably (I know, wishful thinking) one that shows them all on a map (like maybe a google maps mashup?). if I can't find one maybe I will start one on google maps.

Thanks

There is this for RC fields;

http://www.rcairfields.com/index.php?27.948,-82.459,4,m

I remember another one and will post its link if I can find it again.

Regards
Frank
May 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Quote:

Thanks

Wow, if there is one, I have certainly never heard or seen of one. The calendar on the AMA website has got to be the most comprehensive one out there.

I can suggest contacting Chris Brooks at AMA HQ and ask him to see if he knows of another online database that tracks MA events and also lists attendance records.

Good luck in your quest.

Frank
May 11, 2012, 08:24 PM
Quote:
if I can't find one maybe I will start one on google maps.
That would be great! I hope you do that.
May 12, 2012, 02:44 AM
Thread OP
Well I emailed the event coordinator at the AMA and asked for the annual list in spreadsheet format if possible and also asked for any attendance records. I havent heard back yet but have started entering them on a google map. I am focusing on the eastern region right now. I will share it when I get a little more done. Maybe others can join in and keep it updated and add the mid and western events?

Here is a sample of what I have so far.

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=357...35.759573&z=4#

I am sure there is a better solution out there that would allow sorting by states, type of event, date etc. I sent a PM to Jim asking him to add "Events" to the map on RCG but I would really like to see it allow more search options as mentioned.
Last edited by techspy; May 12, 2012 at 03:24 AM.
May 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
Awesome start!

I'm afraid that may turn out to be a second job for you, but with a bunch of people adding their events to the list, it will be an awesome resource.

Is there a way to add "2012" to the map title and then change it to "2013" when that gets near?

Now the question is, what is the best way to "get the word out" so others can populate and use the map?

Frank
May 12, 2012, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Jim said it can be done on the RCG map. he said it wont be overnight but thinks the coders can do it. Hopefully they can make it as detailed being able to for example, sort all of last years events, select only electric events and see attendance info. This would be a great tool to help decide what events to attend.
May 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
That'll work! With the userbase of RCG, it should work out great as long as people are motivated to populate it. Plus it saves you a lot of work.

Frank
May 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Maybe use a forum and call it something like RC events in the US. You could use it as a state by state going to the map
I have something like it for another project.
Good luck. its sounds like something that would be very helpful.
t
May 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrout
Maybe use a forum and call it something like RC events in the US. You could use it as a state by state going to the map
Hey trout,

How hard would it be to add an events filter to this database?

http://maps.rcgroups.com/
May 13, 2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
I have something like it for another project.
Good luck. its sounds like something that would be very helpful.
t
Hey now, this is an even better idea! You can have the map, and the forum to post pics and discuss the events in detail.

You sure have some great ideas ctrout.

But this would take a lot of work and take some time to build up exposure. It could be something that is easily done here on RCG since they already have areas for each state/region, but it may not be something that want to take on.

Frank
May 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
Hey now, this is an even better idea! You can have the map, and the forum to post pics and discuss the events in detail.

You sure have some great ideas ctrout.

But this would take a lot of work and take some time to build up exposure. It could be something that is easily done here on RCG since they already have areas for each state/region, but it may not be something that want to take on.

Frank
Thanks Frank
I think its the money to the site doing the work could make it happen. Its the clubs willing to promote and pay a token to the site to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abel pranger
Hey trout,

How hard would it be to add an events filter to this database?

http://maps.rcgroups.com/
I think as the forum software can purge the "after 90 days" the details on the map will be removed and only the up coming events will still be in place.
Its another "need to keep it under Mod control" and maybe as the clubs are setting up events for the year give the mod the list.
Money can make this happn, just a little bit from each club as advertising~
I dont use this type of map in my attempts so I don't know if will work the same.
Have the map show only the fields that have up coming events and have the details of the event in the forum they are advertised in.
Just thinking...
May 17, 2012, 03:19 PM
What your asking for and proposing would be great.
I think your best bet would be trying to find some volenteers from several areas willing to do the 'foot work' to keep it current.

After getting very frustrated last year from missing events or just plain not knowing when things were happening, I started a google calender for my local area early this year.. I can tell you from just maintaining this small area one, that a nationwide cal would be far too taxing for all but the most dedicated people.
If you havnt already, you will quickly find that many if not most RC clubs are terrible at keeping thier websites up to date. Even with the 10 or so clubs within 3 hours of me (the range I set for my calender) it takes constant checking and rechecking to keep things current. Scheduleing conflicts abound due to clubs not looking(or perhaps careing) for what else is going on nearby before setting dates for thier events, and then when they finally notice a larger one on the same day, many will change with little notice.

Anyway, you are welcome to use the info on my calender for a larger one if you wish, I frequent all of the club sites around Nashville, Tn to keep it as accurate as possible.

Good luck with this project, and feel free to contact me if you wish.

-Tim
https://www.google.com/calendar/embe...rica%2FChicago
May 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
im gonna sign up for all rc competitions especially fun fly
May 19, 2012, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks Frank
I think its the money to the site doing the work could make it happen. Its the clubs willing to promote and pay a token to the site to do it.

I think as the forum software can purge the "after 90 days" the details on the map will be removed and only the up coming events will still be in place.
Its another "need to keep it under Mod control" and maybe as the clubs are setting up events for the year give the mod the list.
Money can make this happn, just a little bit from each club as advertising~
I dont use this type of map in my attempts so I don't know if will work the same.
Have the map show only the fields that have up coming events and have the details of the event in the forum they are advertised in.
Just thinking...
I don't want to see any events purged but rather archived instead. It would be nice if after the event someone would enter attendance records etc.

Right now I have stopped building the map since Jim said it may be added to the RCG map.

I still have not received a response from the AMA about their list in spreadsheet format. If I could get that, it would be easy to import all of that into the mapping program. All I have right now is the list downloaded from their site in pdf.

Quick Reply