Mar 14, 2012, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best all-around ESC

Hi Everyone--as I wait to get my hands on either the Naza Multiwii board, or the OpenPilot CopterControl board (no luck finding any of those yet...), I want to start piecing together the rest of my quad setup.

Eventually I'm hoping to do some FPV flying with this quad. I'd also like it to have enough power for some fun acrobatics, if possible.

I'd like to get the motors and ESC purchased (from HobbyKing). Any recommendations for ESC/motor combos that are very versatile, high quality, and (most important) cheaply available from hobbyking? I was thinking the Turnigy Plush 30A, since I see those used a lot by folks on here. Motors...much harder to choose.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, still looking for a place that has the Naza in stock--I'm getting the impression it's on indefinite back-order...? Might end up going with a HK board just to get my feet wet.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
I never finish anyth
Naze or Naza? I am pretty sure you mean Naze because Naza is available in many places.

EDIT** Also, why not just use the thread you started recently about quad recommendations?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1613128
Mar 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
Get HobbyKing BlueSeries instead in whatever size you need, at least those can be reflashed with simonk's awesome firmware.
Mar 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Thread OP
Oops--yes, I did mean Naze. Which it sounds like is indeed sold out everywhere.....bummer.

Thanks for the tip on the HK Blue series ESC, I will check those out.

On a related note--is there a sort of "matrix" out there that compares the features of all the various control boards? Looking to find a centralized place that I could see all of the choices and what they have to offer.
Mar 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
I never finish anyth
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat
On a related note--is there a sort of "matrix" out there that compares the features of all the various control boards? Looking to find a centralized place that I could see all of the choices and what they have to offer.
The only one I found was google + excel/word. When I was planning my build I had a ton of info I took off of various websites that showcased the features I cared about. then after I had the list... I just chose what I thought was best.
Mar 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
Thread OP
Hey MCrites--any chance you would mind sharing that? I bet you could publish it (in whatever form it's currently in) and people here would run with it. Perhaps import it into Google docs and turn it into a public document....give editing rights to those that request, and bam--you'd have yourself a pretty sweet (and useful!) piece of work!
Mar 14, 2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by javemtr
Get HobbyKing BlueSeries instead in whatever size you need, at least those can be reflashed with simonk's awesome firmware.
I read, that the HK, HW, Turnigy have a new Version (4.0) with a SIL-Chip instead the Amtel. This ones are not good for Multirotor cause of timing issues and tei are not flashable...
Mar 14, 2012, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goetz
I read, that the HK, HW, Turnigy have a new Version (4.0) with a SIL-Chip instead the Amtel. This ones are not good for Multirotor cause of timing issues and tei are not flashable...
Turnigy Plush have changed their chip to SIL, but so far I have never heard about BlueSeries also changing away from Atmel processor. Where did you read this?
Gruss nach Koelle!
Mar 14, 2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by javemtr
Turnigy Plush have changed their chip to SIL, but so far I have never heard about BlueSeries also changing away from Atmel processor. Where did you read this?
Gruss nach Koelle!
I'm not shure about what ESC's have changed to SIL, I read nothing especially about the blue series. You think blue series is still a good thing to buy? I'm looking for ESC's and I'm very scared at the moment what to buy
Mar 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goetz
I'm not shure about what ESC's have changed to SIL, I read nothing especially about the blue series. You think blue series is still a good thing to buy? I'm looking for ESC's and I'm very scared at the moment what to buy
+1 I also thought about purchasing turnigy plush 25A or 30A ESCs, but ater reading, thinking of Turnigy Blueseries 30A. But theese ar now back ordered and they could arrive as a "new" version hardware right?
Mar 27, 2012, 07:55 AM
I never finish anyth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites
The only one I found was google + excel/word. When I was planning my build I had a ton of info I took off of various websites that showcased the features I cared about. then after I had the list... I just chose what I thought was best.
Unfortunately no. As I bought certain components I deleted the entire sections to keep it clean. Regardless it would just become either a marketing tool or something for everyone to fight about "No, this is better!" "Nu-uh! this is!".
Mar 27, 2012, 02:17 PM
For unbiased laboratory comparisons, check out
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1620724

Jim
Mar 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
I am running HK BlueSeries with my DJI Naza FC and everything works great and the ESCs barely get warm, even in warmer weather. Really good ESC, especially for the price. I would buy more.

Quick Reply