Feb 03, 2011, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN
I don't think so.

The Different gearshafts have reverse thread from normal gearshafts so the nut's and props don't fly off.

To reverse the gearbox, they would need 1 more gear in the reverse box and two different gearbox designs
Ah perhaps, or they could just turn the motor or gear off the other end could they not?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2011, 12:37 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
Quote:
I don't think so.

The Different gearshafts have reverse thread from normal gearshafts so the nut's and props don't fly off.

To reverse the gearbox, they would need 1 more gear in the reverse box and two different gearbox designs
I think it's a simple matter of reversing polarity on the wires with each side--you can do the same thing with any of your electric motors--try switching any of your ESC wires to the motor and see what happens...
Feb 03, 2011, 12:37 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
Any release date yet?
Feb 03, 2011, 12:40 PM
Do you see, there is 2 ESC on the brick.

John
Feb 03, 2011, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205
I think it's a simple matter of reversing polarity on the wires with each side--you can do the same thing with any of your electric motors--try switching any of your ESC wires to the motor and see what happens...
Right, but as UNGN said, the propshaft retaining nut will have to have different thread to prevent it from loosening itself. The props themselves may have left and right internal threads. The motors will probably be different with different brush orientation, too. This is all too sweet. And quite unexpected.
MR2
Feb 03, 2011, 12:48 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205
The problem with doing that is many brushed motors are generally designed to spin one way and will make less power spinning the other direction.

This is why there are right/left motors in the coax helis.
Feb 03, 2011, 12:51 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2
Right, but as UNGN said, the propshaft retaining nut will have to have different thread to prevent it from loosening itself. The props themselves may have left and right internal threads. The motors will probably be different with different brush orientation, too. This is all too sweet. And quite unexpected.
MR2
You know it. Scratch building stuff just got a little easier.

I was going to build scale nacelles for my Powerfly Mosquito. Not now, since these are only $15 and are the right size.
Feb 03, 2011, 12:52 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
Quote:
The problem with doing that is many brushed motors are generally designed to spin one way and will make less power spinning the other direction.

This is why there are right/left motors in the coax helis.
You are probably correct and sounds as if you know much more than I do about this--just adding my $.02 (which may not be worth even that much) It would be interesting to know how it works though...
Feb 03, 2011, 12:58 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
With the EFlite P-38 getting really hard to find and the popularity of it it'd be a good bet that the P-38 is on their short list.
The drivetrain in the Mossy opens the door big time to a UM P-38, with counter rotating props and everything.
Feb 03, 2011, 01:11 PM
I have just done some thrust measurement of all the 8,4 mm motors, from Kyosho Edge to Bravo SX incl. the Parkzone motors. I use both normal GWS and counter rotating props
same size, they all gave the same thrust, both ways.
John
Feb 03, 2011, 01:23 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen
I have just done some thrust measurement of all the 8,4 mm motors, from Kyosho Edge to Bravo SX incl. the Parkzone motors. I use both normal GWS and counter rotating props
same size, they all gave the same thrust, both ways.
John

They may when new, but its the long term I'd worry about.

Have you posted the data? That is great stuff.
Feb 03, 2011, 01:36 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
Quote:
The drivetrain in the Mossy opens the door big time to a UM P-38, with counter rotating props and everything.
The Mossy may be the "test run" to see how this all works once the consumers get their hands on these. Great stuff.
Feb 03, 2011, 01:42 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
Sorry, what is the theory behind motors only being able to turn one way? Electronically it doesn't matter, nor mechanically.
Feb 03, 2011, 01:46 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lberry.88
Sorry, what is the theory behind motors only being able to turn one way? Electronically it doesn't matter, nor mechanically.
I believe the thinking was that the motors are designed/optimized to turn in one direction...

I don't know either way, so my thought was that each motor might be the same but have reverse polarity relative to the other motor (wired inversely from the motor to the ESC). Again--I'm not versed in these things, so just a thought, which may not have any grain of truth
Feb 03, 2011, 01:48 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by lberry.88
The brushes are pulled instead of pushed.

They would flip them around in a reverse rotation motor. Some small motors will wear out very quickly when reverse rotated.

On larger brushed motors, the brushes are pushed in radially, so rotation doesn't matter.

Quick Reply