May 20, 2010, 09:30 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Manufacturer
Maximum Operating Temperature: 220 degrees Fahrenheit
Proper cooling of the motor is very important during operation. New technology has brought much higher capacity batteries with higher discharge rates, which can cause extreme motor temperatures during operation. It is the responsibility of the user to monitor the temperature and prevent overheating. Overheating of the motor is not covered under any warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWW
There are several ways to demagnetize a magnet: high temperature, AC magnetic fields, mechanical shocks, and physical distortion.

If we heat a magnetic material above its "Curie Temperature," its magnetism vanishes entirely. When the magnet cools down again, all the microscopic magnetic domains will point in circles, so the magnet will have zero overall field. Neodymium magnets have a low Curie Temp., so they are more sensitive to overheating than other types of magnet
I think you will have other problems before the magnets loose their attributes.

PS: Every body is entitle to their opinion good or bad. There are ways of answering post without degrading the O.P or poster. Some instead of saying here's what I think mite be the answer and here's why or what I base my answer on simply come out and like to call out other that they are wrong and know nothing. Its a shame that decent threads turn it attacks when ever certain members start posting.

Everything was good until post #33 Funny isn't it.
Last edited by freechip; May 20, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2010, 11:17 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Everything was good until post #33 Funny isn't it.
what's funny is supporting a concept, or poster, that is wrong and not what precipitates the problem being addressed. just because someone feels the need to post repeatedly on every topic on the forum doesn't make them a worthy poster, but proving that when they're dead wrong that the facts need to be pointed out (to them and the OP)... ... so as to not perpetuate the spreading of misinformation.

p.s. but it is terribly ironic that while you're busy proposing the concept of not bashing other posters, is that you did just that yourself.
May 20, 2010, 11:27 AM
Cat.. Not everyone on this site is as knowledgeable as you are.LOL. but I still haven't seen you post anything of substance... Just attacks...
Freechip.. You are right.. this thread was fine until somebody got back from his vacation.. Looks like another one is on the horizon..LOL
Jettrooper.. You and I didn't get off to a great start a couple of months ago.. but You have learned quite a bit in a relatively short period of time... I have no problems with what you post and I don't feel others do either.. You are keeping alot of threads active which is great... If you are incorrect on certain things, which happen, we will kindly let you or other know.. The key word is kindly... Not harassment like someone else chooses to do... Sorry this thread has turned into another battle... just seems someone here can't help himself... Maybe its time to hit the ignore button... It will be a first for me in all the forums I've been involved with...
May 20, 2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_sammich
p.s. but it is terribly ironic that while you're busy proposing the concept of not bashing other posters, is that you did just that yourself.
Yep totally agree, now what? EVEN if a poster is 110% wrong, you can still provide the O.P with information that’s correct and say it in a way that’s peaceful and does not attack the poster that may be wrong or misinformed.

Your first post in this thread you come out and attack another member and even if he was wrong your attack is also fuelled by the fact that you and other members have been disagreeing and bashing each other instead of bashing with your RC.
Quote:
why do you have to ruin every single thread on this forum by commenting on things you don't know anything about?
Heat does affect magnets, how much heat needed? Brushless Motor uses Neodymium magnets which have the lowest curie temp. So in a sense he was right when he said heat would hurt the magnets but if this is possible in RC before the wires and windings go up in smoke, MAYBE MAYBE not BUT TO COME OUT AND SAY WRONG and stop posting when you know nothing.

Then my friend you should also follow your own advise and stop posting as you too are responsible for posting non-sense.
Last edited by freechip; May 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
May 20, 2010, 11:34 AM
nick 30
i would say 100* to 120* is prefered, 130* acceptable for the motor, above 130*f is going to kill the motor, 80* - 100* for the speedo is prefered, 110*f acceptable, above 110* is asking for trouble aswell

i posted here on another thread is that in my boats i am toying with a closed watercooling system, nitro tank, half full with ice and some water, electric pump to pump it around, when i finish my nitro to electric conversion of my truggy, i'll be doing the same there
May 20, 2010, 12:05 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Yep totally agree, now what? EVEN if a poster is 110% wrong, you can still provide the O.P with information that’s correct and say it in a way that’s peaceful and does not attack the poster that may be wrong or misinformed.

Then my friend you should also follow your own advise and stop posting as you too are responsible for posting non-sense.
the point is that THAT approach has been tried, and the poster in question has shown what he typically does, just as he did here, he goes on the attack. just like in the off-road forum yesterday, someone was asking about nitro fuel, and he attacked a poster because they tried to explain to him there were "no U.S. based nitromethane manufacturers" - which is a fact - and the guy was nice and tried to explain what he might have been confused about, and the kid was once again off on another of his mindless attacks and just arguing to bicker...instead of saying, "thanks, I didn't know that" he went on attack and then stalked the guy around the forum just like he does me.

I did not attack him, I told him he was wrong. he then went on the attack because he got corrected.

again, heating the magnets is not what kills BL motors. it's heating the winds to the point that the epoxy melts and the windings short out. hot magnets will lead to diminished performance, but does not have the capability in our use in the RC world to kill a motor.

again, it's ironic my friend you don't follow your own advise and stop posting as you to are responsible for posting non-sense and contributing to the delinquency of the minor and his inappropriate posting.
Old May 20, 2010, 12:10 PM
cat_sammich
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while cat_sammich edits it.
May 20, 2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
you to are responsible for posting non-sense and contributing to the delinquency of the minor and his inappropriate posting.[/i]
Will agree to disagree then.
May 20, 2010, 05:07 PM
Under Warranty!
130 may be ideal but in most (at least for me anyways) cases is not realistic. Even when I run 2s on my 5500kv and 16/61 gearing I run about high 150's. I could lower the temp by going with a smaller pinion sure, but I like the speed.

As for the epoxy mention. As far as I am aware. Epoxy does not melt. What happens is the Aluminum in the can of the motor gets too hot and expands. When this happens it expands the epoxy and it ruins the adhesion. This is because after the motor cools it breaks away from the epoxy that has expanded and there is now no glue in place. Heating metal causes it to expand. If there is a glue like epoxy to hold it in place then it more than likely will be out of place when it contracts. In turn causing motor failure.
May 20, 2010, 06:23 PM
yeah, me and cenracer didn't get off to a great start. but that's behind. i have been wrong many time before. however, cat, when you have another account, you post it, and use it to try to gain you support, it's obvious it's you. so don't bother with making another account to try to get your way. it's pointless. also, facts can be made up for the purpose of writing. i learned that today in school. so why i have no reason to support a random fact made by you? you have yet to come to a thread and post something of value, you only copy after someone who is far more knowledgeble on the subject posts, and then complain about them after. sorry for another thread derailment. hopefully the mods will take action soon on this cat/ura/jose/rocket/mini-rob guy. yes. he has 5 accounts. all of which have been banned at least once, some permenantly.
May 20, 2010, 06:54 PM
My reading and my comprehension skills... Hmmm,.. I still have yet to see any post of yours that has any value at all other than a senseless attack on another member..
May 20, 2010, 06:59 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suc2sicMiniT
As for the epoxy mention. As far as I am aware. Epoxy does not melt. What happens is the Aluminum in the can of the motor gets too hot and expands. When this happens it expands the epoxy and it ruins the adhesion. This is because after the motor cools it breaks away from the epoxy that has expanded and there is now no glue in place. Heating metal causes it to expand. If there is a glue like epoxy to hold it in place then it more than likely will be out of place when it contracts. In turn causing motor failure.
epoxy, simply put, is a resin. a plastic. and all resins have a melting point, dependant on what type or mixture of ingrediants they contain. some lower, having a melting point of 95 degrees, and others much higher.

motor windingss are typically coated with a resin, an epoxy, and what happens is that when a motor overheats, whether it be that the resin melts or chars, the windings short out against one another and poof - up in smoke goes the motor.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:00 PM
cat_sammich
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while cat_sammich edits it.
May 20, 2010, 07:01 PM
if the windings were to short it would only affect some of the motor, not all of it, and send electricity back to the esc un used, killing it. not that.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:02 PM
cat_sammich

Quick Reply