Sep 21, 2012, 11:18 PM
Flying Monkey
Thread OP
New Product

New GWS props for mQX!

Well guys, the folks at GWS have given us a true performance upgrade!

I have only received them days ago, but I can tell you confidently from the testing that I've put them through, they are tough!

They weigh the same as stock but are a slimmer profile, and are excellent for acro, my flips are a lot faster (doubles are a breeze, triples are now doable), the controls are much more crisp, and the throttle is even more responsive!

They have a 4.3" pitch (more aggressive than stock), are 5.4" long (same as stock), and they are available in White, Black, Orange, and Grey.
This is the only source I can find right now. GWS EP5443/EP5443R If anyone knows of other sources please chime in!

On the website they are not advertised as mQX props ( In fact they are specified for direct drive applications, not geared ) but the length was right, and I could see from the photo on the site they looked very similar to the mQX design, so I took a gamble, and boy did it pay off!

Here are some side by side comparison photos against stock props...

Name: Picture 1.jpg
Views: 427
Size: 179.3 KB
Description: Name: Picture 2.jpg
Views: 329
Size: 126.0 KB
Description: Name: Picture 5.jpg
Views: 308
Size: 158.3 KB
Description: Name: Picture 3.jpg
Views: 298
Size: 157.1 KB
Description:
I even re-installed my 1-cell battery alarm, as it now has enough punch to support the added weight, and still tumble like nobody's business!
Last edited by heli-yeah; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2012, 06:53 AM
Any chance of some flight footage?
Sep 22, 2012, 09:03 AM
Sweet good find. Hopefully they will show up on some US sites soon.
Sep 22, 2012, 09:27 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
would it really be so difficult to call there ?

http://www.gwsus.com/english/company/company.htm

Or did I MISS anything?
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
Sep 22, 2012, 10:08 AM
Haha I guess I never realized gws was stationed in the US. I'm going to talk to radicalrc and see if they would be willing to carry them.
Sep 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah

I have only received them days ago, but I can tell you confidently from the testing that I've put them through, they are tough!

They weigh the same as stock but are a slimmer profile, and are excellent for acro, my flips are a lot faster (doubles are a breeze, triples are now doable), the controls are much more crisp, and the throttle is even more responsive!

They have a 4.3" pitch (more aggressive than stock), are 5.4" long (same as stock), and they are available in White, Black, Orange, and Grey.
This is the only source I can find right now. GWS EP5443/EP5443R If anyone knows of other sources please chime in!
Nice find! By measuring and calculating, I estimate the stock pitch at ~1.5 inch.
From the pictures, the GWS ones look especially narrow near the tips (where the most lift and drag occur).
The stock ones have a lot of undercamber. I am guessing the GWS ones have less (closer to a flat blade)?

I am wondering how flexible, durable and flight time the GWS ones are compared to stock?
Sep 22, 2012, 12:22 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7
Haha I guess I never realized gws was stationed in the US. I'm going to talk to radicalrc and see if they would be willing to carry them.
Three other places that tend to sell GWS props: bphobbies, tower hobbies and lazertoyz.
Last edited by flying-llama; Sep 22, 2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: bpproducts => bphobbies
Sep 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
It looks from the pics on GLB a pair includes one cw and one ccw. Can you confirm this? If so thank you gws for selling in pairs that make sense. When I wanted to change out my stock props on my mqx I had to purchase four packs of blades in order to have the right combination direction/colorwise. Not sure why the stock pair packaging comes with two props that are the same direction.
Sep 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
Also how long did it take for you to get them in. I'm really antsy to try these out.
Sep 24, 2012, 07:57 AM
Flying Monkey
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symantics
Any chance of some flight footage?
Yesterday was too windy, but I will try to get some video up this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2
would it really be so difficult to call there ?
You tell us!

Quote:
Let us know what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
The stock ones have a lot of undercamber. I am guessing the GWS ones have less (closer to a flat blade)?

I am wondering how flexible, durable and flight time the GWS ones are compared to stock?
They are just about flat, but there is a very small amount of undercamber.

After fully testing there durability, I can attest that they are every bit as tough as the stock props. I have managed to bend one in a bad crash, and just like the stockies, they can be bent back to shape, and fly like new again.

The fight time seems comparable to a stock set-up, if not a bit longer.

Quote:
It looks from the pics on GLB a pair includes one cw and one ccw. Can you confirm this?
They are sold by GLB as a CW/CCW pairs, but are packaged individually by GWS as a 5443 (CCW), or 5443R (CW).

Quote:
Also how long did it take for you to get them in. I'm really antsy to try these out.
20 days, on the slow boat...
Sep 24, 2012, 09:45 AM
Dave from RadicalRC shot me back an email. Here was his reply:

"I have a sample of these props from another MFG. Looks like a real genuine GWS part number you have there but they don't list it on the USA distribution web site. They are way behind on inventory, like 3 months. There are rumors of a container by the end of September. I'll be watching for it.

From the other MFG, I'll be ordering those to have on hand. At the moment I only have a sample set, not marketable inventory. So, check back with me in a couple weeks. I don't remember the size off hand but they look like the photo on that website you linked."

So it looks promising that they are going to try and get a hold of them. It will be great to have a US supplier. I'll let everyone know when/if they show up on the radicalRC website. By the way if you've never ordered from there it's a great place to get props and some other hard to find items. Best part is no matter how much you order shipping is a flat $3.
Sep 24, 2012, 04:32 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah

They have a 4.3" pitch (more aggressive than stock), are 5.4" long (same as stock), ...
They probably have a higher pitch speed than stock, so my guess is that they will also deal with wind better than stock.
I need to try these props!

One thing about GWS. Their 300 size planes with brushed motors and NiCAD/MH batteries have gotten left behind. But with this quad and especially the similar size Parkzone/Eflite planes, GWS seems to have popular small (5 to 6 inch) props.
Sep 24, 2012, 07:54 PM
Flying Monkey
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
my guess is that they will also deal with wind better than stock.
They do handle the wind better. Yesterday was a bit blustery, but today was only breezy, so I took it out for a test flight. The wind was not as much of an issue as with the stock props, the flight was much more enjoyable, and not so much of a fight.

Quote:
Dave from RadicalRC shot me back an email.
Thanks for your efforts!

My legwork didn't yield any more favorable results. I talked to a rep. at GWS/US today, and he said they're still not available in the US, but they should be coming soon.

Maybe it's time for a group buy @ $1.71 a pair.
Sep 24, 2012, 08:42 PM
Do you think these would help with the wobble of death that occurs when descending straight down with the V929? (Does the MQX do that too?)
Sep 24, 2012, 10:08 PM
Flying Monkey
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by installerblizz
Do you think these would help with the wobble of death that occurs when descending straight down with the V929? (Does the MQX do that too?)
Perhaps...

I have never had trouble with descending straight down, but my mQX has always had a little washout tendency in high speed climbing , and descending turns, that required me to ease off, and recover. I have yet to experience it with these props.

Quick Reply