Jan 05, 2013, 04:34 PM
What kind of motors would folks use on this plane today?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2013, 04:44 PM
Flying electric since 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw
What kind of motors would folks use on this plane today?
Personally speaking...Speed 400's just as it was designed for. Brushed motors still have a lot going for them in multi-motor applications. Only one speed control required, less wires to run, etc. This isn't a model that needs a ton of power, so why not keep it cheap and simple?
Jan 05, 2013, 05:06 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
I am going the complicated way with what I had at home. Four 28-30 brushless as I plan to carry and drop stuff....
Jan 05, 2013, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras
Ok, I have a question. I started trying to lay down the foil tape on the plastic nose cone and I can't get it right.

I started with the bottom section that is solid silver by cutting 1/2 inch strips and trying to lay them down from the rear to the front but they started getting pretty messed up.

What's the trick?

I can do all the thin strips no issue.

thanx in advance..
Dangaras,
I used aluminum gutter tape from Home Depot - the kind without the print on it. Make sure you cut your strips of tape lengthwise with the roll. This seems to be the direction the "grain" of the aluminum goes. Takes a bit of experimentation but cut each strip about 3/4" wide but instead of cutting the edges straight, cut them in a slight oval. star at one end and place the centerline of the tape down first, then use an exacto knife handle to burnish the tape into place. Overlap each piece. You will get some wrinkles but that's where the burnishing tool comes into place. Put your finger on the inside of the canopy and rub the wrinkles down to get most of them out.

-Stuart
Jan 05, 2013, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wolf
Personally speaking...Speed 400's just as it was designed for. Brushed motors still have a lot going for them in multi-motor applications. Only one speed control required, less wires to run, etc. This isn't a model that needs a ton of power, so why not keep it cheap and simple?
If you are using retracts, you'll need more power than the 400's can deliver. With the edf brushed motors I had on my first B-29, take off roll was 100 + ft off of a grass runway to get it air born. I'm planning on using motors similar to brushless 480s in the bird I'm building now. 400s will work ok as long as you hand launch and keep it light. With brushless combos getting cheaper ( motor and esc) I'd prefer to have a bit more power - I can always throttle back
Last edited by SRush99; Jan 05, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Jan 05, 2013, 08:57 PM
Designer/Builder
Thread OP
What Stuart said. Also, when it is gleaming in the sun, the wrinkles get smaller.

Jim
Jan 05, 2013, 08:59 PM
Designer/Builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wolf
The problems with this are brushed esc's are getting scarce, and 3s is a bit much for a 7.2v sp400.

Jim
Jan 05, 2013, 09:14 PM
Ah, the oval idea was going to be my next attempt. Starting from the mid line is the trick huh?

Thanks guys.
Jan 05, 2013, 09:43 PM
Close up picture of B-29 #2 canopy
Jan 05, 2013, 09:58 PM
ok, I got it. Need some practice.....
Jan 06, 2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Young
The problems with this are brushed esc's are getting scarce, and 3s is a bit much for a 7.2v sp400.

Jim
They aren't as common, but still out there, not to mention that thousands of ESC's collecting dust in folk's shops. I'd wager a post in the WTB section would have a lot of ESC's available for cheap. I haven't run a 7.2v motor on 3s, but I've run them extensively on 10 cell nicad packs. They last quite a long time so long as you keep the amp draw below 10. I'd bet a 3s A123 pack would work quite nicely with the 7.2v S400.
Jan 06, 2013, 10:53 AM
Designer/Builder
Thread OP
True on all counts, Mark.

Can you still get the "higher end" SP400 type motors with bearing and external brushes? THese might be an option too.

-Jim
Jan 06, 2013, 01:06 PM
Hallo!
A very good solution for multi-motors models is the MIG 400 3Li 12V.

This motor is made in Chzec Republic by MEGA MOTOR:

http://www.megamotor.cz/v4/script/de...ge_id=lang_eng

Same dimensions of a Speed 400 but suitable for 3 Li-Po battery.

I've installed 2 of these MIG 400 12v on my Multiplex Twinstar with one 2.000 Mah. 3 cells li-po and the performance is very, very good.......a lot better than the traditional Speed 400 motors.

The price (in Italy....) is very good too......about 10 USD.

Bye!

ettore
Jan 06, 2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Young
True on all counts, Mark.

Can you still get the "higher end" SP400 type motors with bearing and external brushes? THese might be an option too.

-Jim
I'm sure those motors are still out there somewhere. Back to the S400/lipo voltage issue, a series-parallel setup may also work well. Divide the motors into inner/outer banks wired in series and the two banks then connected in parallel. With a 5s lipo you would effectively have each motor running on 2.5 cells and the total amp draw at the battery would only be ~20 amps.

It might be hard to find an ESC for this set-up new these days, but there have to be thousands of older Astro controllers out there for the asking.
Jan 06, 2013, 07:59 PM
Designer/Builder
Thread OP
Mark,

Don't you have a plane to be working on? ( ^ ;

-Jim

Quick Reply