Jan 03, 2012, 08:30 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Discussion

The Xperiment, something different...

I got surprised by a day off yesterday, so I decided to try and draw up a new plane. Looking at the trends in newer F3p planes it seemed like there was a drive towards more fuse area over the CG, and in most cases semi or fully symmetric fuse profiles.

This is great as coupling is all but gone, and knife edge should behave more like wings level flight. But even if fuse area was increased to match wing area, because of the difference in aspect ratios, you'd still need to fly at a higher angle of attack in KE, compared to wings level. To get the plane to approach complete neutrality, the fuse starts to look like the wing.

So that's what I tried, a completely cruciform plane. And to get it to be able to land somewhat like a normal plane, I shifted the wing from 0/90 to 45/45, while leaving the tail group at 0/90. This keeps the rudder/elevator in normal plane axes, and gives a sort of conventional stance on the ground without the need for some sort of ridiculous gear. To make determining the orientation easier I painted the top and bottom to look like the top and bottom of a regular plane, and the sides to look like a conventional fuselage. In the air it still takes a bit of getting used to ( I think a dark color on the fuselage side would help)

Not wanting to draw up completely new profiles, I modded a set of Sultimate parts I had already cut, decreasing the chord, tail group, and control surface sizes. I used a set of UMX beast electronics.

I test flew it in the parking garage this evening, and it is very neutral. Now that I know it flies, I think I'll draw up an original profile sized for regular F3p gear.

Thought/comments? Has anybody else tried something along these lines?

-Adam
Latest blog entry: Stol f-16
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2012, 09:42 PM
Looks pretty wild!
Jan 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
I thought about doing something just like this many years ago, but never did try it. I basically decided that other airplanes could perform the maneuvers just as well (probably better considering maneuvers are designed for normal airplanes), feel more natural, and present MUCH better.

I do think it's a very interesting idea from an experimental standpoint!
Jan 03, 2012, 10:24 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot
I thought about doing something just like this many years ago, but never did try it. I basically decided that other airplanes could perform the maneuvers just as well (probably better considering maneuvers are designed for normal airplanes), feel more natural, and present MUCH better.

I do think it's a very interesting idea from an experimental standpoint!
I agree that the presentation is probably the biggest challenge. It looks plane bizarre doing rolls. Pitch and yaw felt like a normal plane, although rudder was much more effective.

I want to try some different paint layouts on the side to see I I can get it looking more like a plane. A 0/90 set up would probably look more natural. I did a lot of work on non planar wings a few years back, so I've got an unusual fondness for weird configurations. BTW I really dig your new Decathlon, I love when planes can do things they're not supposed to!

I'll see if I can shoot some video tomorrow.

-Adam
Jan 03, 2012, 11:36 PM
Video!!!
Jan 04, 2012, 03:25 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Video:
The Xperiment (2 min 18 sec)

It was pretty tight in the parking garage, but you get the picture. Very fun.

-A
Jan 04, 2012, 03:55 PM
Wow...never seen anything like that!
Jan 04, 2012, 03:59 PM
It flies like some sort of fish. Cool.
Jan 04, 2012, 04:07 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
The Xperiment Alt (2 min 28 sec)

one more, starting to work on more rolling stuff at the end. John G. flying this time.
Jan 04, 2012, 05:23 PM
Addicted
Very cool! Makes my little guy look a little basic!

"Span"?

AUW?
Jan 04, 2012, 05:38 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Thanks!

22 inches true, 16in projected. 60-65g depending on the battery

-A
Jan 04, 2012, 06:23 PM
That is so cool!
Jan 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Very cool

Have you tried a GWS 6030 prop using the Beast motor?

Works good and gives more thrust
Jan 04, 2012, 07:48 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29
Very cool

Have you tried a GWS 6030 prop using the Beast motor?

Works good and gives more thrust
Haven't tried that yet, but sounds good. I've been having some issues with the eflite packs sagging on the stock prop. What's the hot battery of choice? I've switched all my single cell stuff to TP packs already.

-A
Jan 04, 2012, 07:51 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Hyperions I would think are the best.

I've been using 2 1S nano tech 160 OR 2 Nanotech MCPX lipos.

BUT

Would make more sense to use a hyperion 2S 180 or 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID
Haven't tried that yet, but sounds good. I've been having some issues with the eflite packs sagging on the stock prop. What's the hot battery of choice? I've switched all my single cell stuff to TP packs already.

-A

Quick Reply