Dec 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
Suspended Account
1.5 kilometers is equal to 0.932 miles ! I thought these would work a little farther.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2012, 08:57 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Both receivers have exactly identical hardware, only the firmware is different (offers PPM and RSSI on the XP), and you can flash a II-Plus with the XP's firmware if you want.
Thanks. Very helpful. I just range tested my D8R II plus. I got about 50 meters before I got a beep and 90 meters before I was getting 3 beeps or almost continuous beeps but even then the receiver was giving a signal to the controls. What is even better is that while I am pretty hard of hearing and can't hear my Futaba timer alarm I could actually hear the Telemetry Beeps very clearly. This is great.

BTW, and FYI I tried a double dipole 15" antenna I bought on Ebay on my TX and it really didn't increase the range in a noticeable way.
Dec 15, 2012, 09:08 AM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
At this point you seem to have your bases covered. But I've included a photo of the DHT to assure this is what you mean. (a picture is worth 1000 words). If you have these two switches off and do the jumper correctly and are not binding -- then I'd say you do have receiver problems.
That's the old DHT you are showing. From his reference to "switch in middle position" I assume he has the newer toggle switch version. In that case, middle is 2-way.
Dec 15, 2012, 09:55 AM
Fly now crash later
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
1.5 kilometers is equal to 0.932 miles ! I thought these would work a little farther.
I will be using a higher gain antenna, I hope to get better. Mine should be here some time this week.
Dec 15, 2012, 10:01 AM
It's nice to hope - but don' expect any wild increases

The approved power output is what really controls things
Dec 15, 2012, 10:21 AM
Lot of hams will tel you are wrong on this, we know the antenna is the best amplifier.
There are lot of reports about 3-8km range of standard Frsky stuff only by changing stock antennas. Not speaking about something fancy, a good dipole on receiver and a 5-7db omni/patch on Tx and you are done. Cost under $10.
The only exotic (and the best) solution was using CP antennas at both ends, it's the 8km case.
Dec 15, 2012, 10:54 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Lot of hams will tel you are wrong on this, we know the antenna is the best amplifier.
There are lot of reports about 3-8km range of standard Frsky stuff only by changing stock antennas. Not speaking about something fancy, a good dipole on receiver and a 5-7db omni/patch on Tx and you are done. Cost under $10.
The only exotic (and the best) solution was using CP antennas at both ends, it's the 8km case.
I wonder why FrsKy doesn't sell these type antennas if they make the product work so much better?
Dec 15, 2012, 10:59 AM
Again, little or no documentation, wrong conclusions
Try a google: "frsky antenna"
Anything but the CP solution will come in first page with relevant links.
Dec 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
I wonder why FrsKy doesn't sell these type antennas if they make the product work so much better?
As standard, because for most users the standard antenna work perfectly.
Only FPV needs more than 1 or 2 km.

But they do sell patches, and the extended BODA type for the receivers.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/7db-patc...e-antenna.html

http://www.alofthobbies.com/60cm-receiver-antenna.html
Dec 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Quote:
Probably because the vast majority of users are flying LOS. That is what the telemetry system seems to be aimed at, as it provides information at the TX. All of their equipment seems to have more than enough range for LOS.

Some people are choosing to use this equipment for FPV and those that want to go a great distance are enjoying the challenge of modifying things. Remember that any FPV that meets AMA guidelines is only going to be out about a mile which I believe is what they designate as the maximum LOS, though it would take some pretty good eyes to see something out that far. I will be happy to get a mile of range, and heck, I'll probably run out of battery before I get that far and back with my quad. I choose to fly under AMA guidelines so as to have their insurance cover me.

But I sure like having those little beeps to warn me or assure me. I am waiting for the RSSI-DAC to arrive so I can hopefully show the RSSI signal in my goggles too.
Dec 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Partly because they'd break compliance, certainly in Europe where the max power is a combination of power and antenna gain. There's also the fact that higher gain comes with reduced coverage (by definition), so a 14dB antenna would need to be pointed at the model.
Dec 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Probably because the vast majority of users are flying LOS. That is what the telemetry system seems to be aimed at, as it provides information at the TX. All of their equipment seems to have more than enough range for LOS.

Some people are choosing to use this equipment for FPV and those that want to go a great distance are enjoying the challenge of modifying things. Remember that any FPV that meets AMA guidelines is only going to be out about a mile which I believe is what they designate as the maximum LOS, though it would take some pretty good eyes to see something out that far. I will be happy to get a mile of range, and heck, I'll probably run out of battery before I get that far and back with my quad. I choose to fly under AMA guidelines so as to have their insurance cover me.

But I sure like having those little beeps to warn me or assure me. I am waiting for the RSSI-DAC to arrive so I can hopefully show the RSSI signal in my goggles too.
"I choose to fly under AMA guidelines" that is your choice! as long as you have fun doing it according to the rules. Everyone has their preferences in life.
Last edited by goldsworthy; Dec 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Dec 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
Dean
Quote:
"I choose to fly under AMA guidelines" that is your choice! as long as you have fun doing it according to the rules. Everyone has their preferences in life.

Easy for you to say...Sidewinders won't sue you when you hit them!!! Elsewhere the are humans...and in some cases LOTS of 'em......and they are so sue happy!!
Dec 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Easy for you to say...Sidewinders won't sue you when you hit them!!! Elsewhere the are humans...and in some cases LOTS of 'em......and they are so sue happy!!
Better sue happy than trigger happy
Dec 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
Dean
Yes indeed...so sad.

Quick Reply