Jul 26, 2012, 05:26 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Nice flight video - seems not to have bad habits - a relief because there are videos out there of other builds of this plane and it ain't pretty. One guy stalls it on the turn to final and augers it in. His AUW was 9.5lb if I recall - I think he took the advertising literally and tird to cram a power 90 in his. Just curious where your AUW and CG came out? Also, did you use thos ply pieces provided to block off the cowl. Another guy had a catastrophic loss because air got into the fuse and caused it to fail.

Anyway, nice bird, nice flying, and cool sound. Hope to start mine in a couple months. Looks like that crow wanted a piece of it tho
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2012, 06:17 PM
Watts up ?
Thread OP
Thanks yeah it flys very well and I cant really find any bad habbits. It does require ALOT of rudder to get nice coordinated tuens happening but that adds to the fun and challange.

No, I did not use the wood cowl blanks. I cant see any need to use them. Just allow the air to excit in the rear and it will keep everything nice and cool. I might add the sound system to give that REAL radial sound in the air ( weight is still a concern ) and if so will fill the cowl with speakers.

I also got the new Eagle Tree stabiliser ( for a drone project ) but might try it on the R3
Jul 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
Just found this thread after receiving an advertisement for this plane in my email. the price is $327 shipped to Maryland, USA. I have a Gee Bee Sportster and really like it - great flying plane.

I saw this plane a few years ago but was not ready for it as a pilot. With many years of flying under my belt, I think I'll get it. I have the Scorpion 3026-710 in the 63 inch Sportster that weighs 6.25 lbs running on a 4S system.

The R3 is a bit bigger so I might bump up to a 6S system like you have.
Jul 28, 2012, 11:14 PM
Watts up ?
Thread OP
The sportster and the R3 fly very differently and have little in common other that there names and loverly looks. 6s would be the way to go. Keep us updated !
Last edited by OzparkPilot; Aug 30, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Jul 29, 2012, 06:39 AM

R3 Flight characteristics

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced
The sportster and the R3 fly very differently and gave little in common other that there names and loverly looks. 6s would be the way to go. Keep us updated !
What flight times do you get with the 5000mah battery? At 22 volts (6S), you must be pulling 80+ amps!

I see a good price on a Scorpion S4035-380kv motor that is a little bigger and heavier than the S4025-12. With the lower kv, I would have to prop it up to a 17 x 10 to get 1544 watts and 5300 grams thrust on 6S batteries. The legs are pretty long on this plane so it may handle the 17 inch prop. That may also be a good choice since you had to add weight to get the CG right. Any thoughts?

What are the major differences in how these two planes fly?
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jul 29, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Jul 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Watts up ?
Thread OP
I think you could run a 17x10 ! I'm not sure of numbers, I may have this Data in the opening thread but if not happy to provide this for you. No, I did not have to add any weight to get the CG right. I'm always pretty careful about working out individual weights of components but as you know, sometimes this just does not work out...

The R3 is a very fast and high wing loaded plane. Its not hard to fly, but it does require you to maintain good rudder coordinated turns and proper throttle management. I have got to slow on finals on my third flight resulted in a tip stall and some damage to the wheel pants so that was a good lesson.
Aug 02, 2012, 07:07 AM
I plan to use the following equipment in my R3:

Motor: Scorpion 4035-380kv (2600 watt max)
ESC: Castle Creations ICE 100 HV
Battery: 6S 5100mah 40C
Estimated AUW: 8.5 - 9 lbs
Prop: 16 x 10 APC (1417 Watts - 157 w/lb) or 17 x 10 (1544 watts - 171 w/lb)

I may try a 12 pitch prop (16 or 17 inch) if I don't get the desired performance with the 10 pitch props.
Aug 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
Watts up ?
Thread OP
This is the same set up as I have and works well.
Aug 03, 2012, 12:50 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic
What flight times do you get with the 5000mah battery? At 22 volts (6S), you must be pulling 80+ amps!

I see a good price on a Scorpion S4035-380kv motor that is a little bigger and heavier than the S4025-12. With the lower kv, I would have to prop it up to a 17 x 10 to get 1544 watts and 5300 grams thrust on 6S batteries. The legs are pretty long on this plane so it may handle the 17 inch prop. That may also be a good choice since you had to add weight to get the CG right. Any thoughts?

What are the major differences in how these two planes fly?
Sportster flies like a stable sport plane, though you do have to fly it all the time, just like the R3. But the R3 has certain peculiarities owning to the short tail moment and tail feather shape. It tends to be porpoisy (expo helps) and I have found on my foamy Cermark Fantasy Racer (same plane in foam, 51") that the plane requires a good bit of rudder on roll-out to counterract p-factor. And as G-Forced has indicated, these planes require a good bit of rudder input for coordinated turns. Even with full aileron differential, these planes will drag the high wing in turns. Finally, the forward gear location means tricky ground handling and a tendency to bounce on landings, so you have to be good at power-on wheel landings.

Besides that, many who built this plane did so way too heavy, so some of these had huge wing loading, which is never good. Try to keep your weight to 7lb. It can be done if you build forward.

I'd suggest getting the Cermark FR to practice. At $100 PNP, you can't go wrong.
Aug 03, 2012, 08:45 PM
TTrotary, I understand that a lighter plane would help slow flight handling. However, this is a 59 inch RACER built to go FAST. Reducing weight with a smaller power system will certainly reduce flight speed - yes? So, I don't think a lethargic Fantacy Racer would be much fun to fly or show off at the flying field. Just got to man up and fly it like a warbird.
Aug 04, 2012, 01:28 AM
Watts up ?
Thread OP
With respect to TTs comments, I would say that the two would have nothing in common ( the Cemark and this R3 ) as they are not even closely related in numbers. As I have stated, and as you can see from my flight video, its a quick plane but its not a fast plane. I would say that WOT passes would be in the 70 Mph range max...

To back up TTs comment, 100% that KEEP THIS light. I know Every plane need to be kept light but the R3 is far less forgiving than most in this area. I now have 27 flights still enjoying it !
Aug 04, 2012, 06:28 AM
The folks at General Hobbies were swamped with orders for this plane and ran out of stock before they shipped mine. They are getting in a new shipment and will ship mine on Monday. I should get it late next week. Bummer...
Aug 04, 2012, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced
With respect to TTs comments, I would say that the two would have nothing in common ( the Cemark and this R3 ) as they are not even closely related in numbers. As I have stated, and as you can see from my flight video, its a quick plane but its not a fast plane. I would say that WOT passes would be in the 70 Mph range max...

To back up TTs comment, 100% that KEEP THIS light. I know Every plane need to be kept light but the R3 is far less forgiving than most in this area. I now have 27 flights still enjoying it !
I will be using nearly the same equipment as G-Fotrced, so mine should come in around 8-9lbs. The only way to lighten the plane without modifying the structure is to go with a smaller power system. Anyone flying this plane on 4S or 5S?
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Aug 04, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Aug 04, 2012, 07:48 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
I will be flying it on 4S with option to go 5S. You have 1lb of wire hardware alone. The plane may be called a "racer" but this is a fat, draggy airframe no matter what power you put in it. The H9 Mustang "40", at about the same size and weight, and with same power system, will fly circles around it. I would not be shy about spinner size - the bigger, the more it fills the opening and streamlines the plane. I'll be putting a 4in on mine.That said, your choice of prop can overcome speed issues to some extent. On a 6S system, I'd prop this plane with a 13x13 or 14x14 if your motor can take the amps. You will lose some in vertical, but speed will be good.

My FRacer came with a 12x6 prop. It flew well, but not fast. I now run a 10x10 on the same motor and cell count, and it is a fast little bugger. The APC pattern props are a good choice as you get into the bigger-sized square props. I have a WM .60 Spitfire with a Power 60 and 6S in it and the 14x14 prop. It does close to 100mph level and is a blast to fly. It will also do loops all day and has great vertical despite the smaller diameter.
Aug 04, 2012, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary
On a 6S system, I'd prop this plane with a 13x13 or 14x14 if your motor can take the amps. You will lose some in vertical, but speed will be good.
I will be using the Scorpion 4035 380kv motor. They don't show the amps/watts for those high pitch props. I will be using a 16 x 12, 17 x 10 or 17 x 12 as recommended by the mfg. The thrust for those props range from around 155 to 190 oz.

Quick Reply