Apr 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Poll

Spektrum DX8 Users' Thread

Now the DX10 is out and the DX8/DX10 thread has run its course, I thought it was time we had a thread dedicated to the DX8.

Last edited by Gerry__; Apr 29, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2012, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
Ah, relief from thread throb, I hope!
Apr 19, 2012, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift
Ah, relief from thread throb, I hope!
Yes. And continued, repetitive mention of the alarm or battery charging will be consider trolling.
Apr 19, 2012, 03:55 PM
3D for Me
Thanks Gerry!
Apr 19, 2012, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
Yes. And continued, repetitive mention of the alarm or battery charging will be consider trolling.
And, reasonably calculated to oppress, harass, embarass or discommode the user base in this thread, Fred!
Apr 19, 2012, 04:03 PM
Look Up
For all the new DX8 users, if you use the supplied NiMH battery, DO NOT charge overnight with the supplied charging circuitry, or you run the risk of destroying the battery. Periodically feel the battery and if it gets hot, unplug the charger, since the battery is charged. Or, do as I do, unplug the battery from the radio and charge with a proper, smart, peak detection charger that stops the charge when the battery is full.
Apr 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
Suspended Account
Also, note that the lipo battery doubles your flight time, and avoids the NIMH concerns of some. There are non-oem alternatives available.

Also, dear new users, note that most of us are not engaged in slavish adherence to dogma, just advancement of the design while acknowledging it is already a very fine product.
Apr 19, 2012, 04:52 PM
Heli addicted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu
For all the new DX8 users, if you use the supplied NiMH battery, DO NOT charge overnight with the supplied charging circuitry, or you run the risk of destroying the battery. Periodically feel the battery and if it gets hot, unplug the charger, since the battery is charged. Or, do as I do, unplug the battery from the radio and charge with a proper, smart, peak detection charger that stops the charge when the battery is full.
too late...i ve charged mine for about 12 hours(not 30 according to manual) the 1st time.now i am charging about 3-4 hours >the battery gets hot if i charge more than 3 hours.i have ordered a hk lipo thought and waiting for delivery.Later if the price drops i will buy a spektrum lipo.
Last edited by amartolos; Apr 19, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Apr 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartolos
too late...i ve charged mine for about 12 hours(not 30 according to manual) ...
You may want to read or read it again on page #7 if you are going to make comments like this.

The 30hrs is for the LIPO and not NiMh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page 7 of the manual
Using the included SPMB2000NMTX NiMH battery pack, you should plug the included 12-volt AC to DC power supply in for 10 to 12 hours to fully charge the battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Page 7 of the manual
When charging the optional SPMB4000LPTX, a full charge can take up to 30hrs depending on the initial charge state of the battery. When charging a LiPo, the blue light will turn off when the charge cycle is complete.
And by stating a Full Charge CAN take up to 30hrs it means time will vary.

PS: Not bad, 4-5 post out of 9 so far provide nothing useful, mentioning certain topic will be considered trolling. BY WHO? Not off to a great start IMO.
Apr 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
Heli addicted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip

PS: Not bad, 4-5 post out of 9 so far provide nothing useful, mentioning certain topic will be considered trolling. BY WHO? Not off to a great start IMO.
sorry my friend i haven't read the manual 100 times like you>let me please examine you...tell me what the pages 56-35-8 are writing about. first in English and then in Chinese

another non useful post....please dont cry
Last edited by amartolos; Apr 19, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Apr 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
I haven't read it 100 times, actualy read it only once while the battery was initialy charging and briefly browse threw it here and there when I need to provide page number to members asking for help or looking for info.

I am not crying, perfectly happy with my radio and it's current programming features and programming.

I am sorry if you took my PS comment as being directed to you. It was just intended to point out to the first 2 or 3 members who posted that the thread wasn't off to a great start and not really any better then the thread they are moving away from.

No disrespect intented.

If you are having problems understanding certain pages of the manual feel free to PM me more specific portions and I will gladly try to help you out.
Apr 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
jobog

LiPo Battery

I've ordered the Gforce transmitter battery from Value Hobby for my DX8. I assume because it is less expensive than the one from Horizon that it does not have the balancing/cutoff circuitry. Anyone else using this battery and how are you charging it? Has anyone found a male plug that fits the battery or do I just need to charge through the balancing plug? Not sure if my Thunderpower charger will do this or if I have to have both plugs connected to the charger.

Thanks,
Joe
Apr 19, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joe,
The Gforce transmitter batteries don't have either the balancing circuitry or low voltage protection. Your best bet is to balance charge with your Thunderpower charger. The balance tap on the Gforce batteries is the JST-HX, so if you balance charge through that you'll be fine. As far as low voltage cut off goes, your radio does give you a low voltage warning at a safe level, so as long as you don't ignore the LVW, you should be fine. Somehow the idea of a low voltage cutoff being built into the battery pack (throwaway item) does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
I'm running the Gforce 2500mAh made for the Futaba 8FG, very happy with it
Pete
Apr 19, 2012, 08:59 PM
jobog
Pete, thanks for the reply. My battery should be here tomorrow. I will make sure I set up the DX8 for the LiPo battery with the appropriate low voltage cutoff.
Joe
Apr 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
Change the setting after you connected the lipo batt.

Quick Reply