Jun 17, 2010, 12:57 PM
Flyer
Mike,
The stand is catching on and some great ideas and modifications are being applied. Willy did a nice job with his work and version of the stand. Does he have a way of securing it to the ground during windy conditions like Jody came up with?

Rick
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2010, 01:48 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairwalk
Mike,
The stand is catching on and some great ideas and modifications are being applied. Willy did a nice job with his work and version of the stand. Does he have a way of securing it to the ground during windy conditions like Jody came up with?
No, but I did tell him about Jody's idea.
Latest blog entry: How To Get a Custom AMA Number
Feb 02, 2012, 12:27 PM
i know this is a old thread, but thought i'd add to it.

the best stand i have seen yet is like this one . my friends is on a single pole that he sinks into the ground. on the bottom of the holder it's on bearings i believe, so it will windmill with the wind. i'm currently working on mine for the coming season.
Mar 06, 2019, 12:08 PM
Going in circles.
I was looking for glider stand ideas and stumbled across this thread. Below are pics of how I configured mine. The white pieces are EPP foam that I had saved from a microwave box. It's nice when the stuff you hoard finally gets put to good use. I wanted something that would hold the fuselage while I was attaching the wings so I made the foam supports with channels to hold the fuselage by itself. Once the wings are attached I rotate the the plane and set the wings on the white foam supports and secure it with the little bungee cords. I added the swing out wood extension so that the sailplane could be placed back far enough to prevent the flaps from interfering with the foam supports. With out the wood extension the rear bungee pulled the sailplane too far forward.

Last edited by GliderJim; Jun 06, 2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo
Mar 06, 2019, 01:59 PM
They call me Crash!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim
I was looking for glider stand ideas and stumbled across this thread. Below are pics of how I configured mine. The white pieces are EPP foam that I had saved from a microwave box. It's nice when the stuff you hoard finally gets put to good use. I wanted something that would hold the fuselage while I was attaching the wings so I made the foam supports with channels to hold the fuselage by itself. Once the wings are attached I rotate the the plane and set the wings on the white foam supports and secure it the little bungee cords. I added the swing out wood extension so that the sailplane could be placed back far enough to prevent the flaps from interfering with the foam supports. With out the wood extension the rear bungee pulled the sailplane too far forward.

Nice set up! I love mine...use it in the shop from time to time setting up sailplanes!
Mar 06, 2019, 03:03 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
Nice! I've seen quite a few of these since I first posted the idea almost ten years ago, and no two of them look alike.
Mar 07, 2019, 10:32 AM
That thing almost hit me
I've had mine since Mike posted the idea. Most of the time, I just bungee a Robart stand on it. I have a couple of other stands for different fuse types, but this set up is what I use most.
Last edited by Tahoed; Mar 07, 2019 at 10:51 AM.
Mar 07, 2019, 11:38 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
I've had mine since Mike posted the idea.
I still have mine too. Of everything for this hobby that I've bought or built, and then broken, lost, crashed, worn out, sold, discarded, or given away, this is the only item I can think of that has lasted this long. And it's still as good as new!
Mar 07, 2019, 12:00 PM
That thing almost hit me
Pretty much indestructible, and with some scrap material and a little thought, you can come up with a stand for anything from a DLG to a 30 lb. (or maybe more) scale plane.
Jun 06, 2019, 10:20 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
Radio hanger cut from a sheet of plexiglass:

With radio:

Aug 22, 2020, 09:20 PM
Works to Fly
Here it is 2020 and I just saw this. Bought one at Home Depot and very happy with the result. It's great for working on your f3f and dialing in throws. It's nice at the field too. Great job!
Aug 22, 2020, 10:42 PM
Nice... I'll see if the local hardware stores carry something like it...
Aug 23, 2020, 03:06 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
I bought a second stand for my contest launch countdown system, powered by a re-purposed OpenTX radio and two megaphones:

You can see my original sailplane stand in the background.
May 20, 2022, 11:49 AM
Sold out everywhere....

Edit: Found one: https://piphardware.com/product/ridg...-work-support/

Still hard to find though.
May 20, 2022, 12:39 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
Interesting, I thought "Ridgid" was just a Home Depot brand but I'm glad to hear you found one elsewhere.

I have three of them. Along with the two in the photo above I use a third one to support a fan in my living room.

Quick Reply