May 30, 2012, 08:24 AM

Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslack67
I was having all kinds of problems flying LOS. I just couldn't get good orientation and was very inexperienced in changing my positional control swapping when the attitude was coming towards me, etc. Also, I was not happy having to stay so "close" to me all the time. All of my crashes have been during LOS flying. I switched to FPV after a few months of LOS and have never gone back.

With FPV, I can visibly tell exactly where I'm pointing, how much my stick movement is actually affecting the quad in real time, and best of all.... I feel like I'm actually in the copter "flying" in the air. I've flown with Hawks, chased Coyotes, aired it out next to Motocross riders hitting triple jumps, and viewed memorials from 300-ft up in the air.

Now, with that said, if I was an awesome 3D pilot like Warthox and others, then I would probably really enjoy LOS flying. But, I'm not. So for me... NOTHING ELSE comes even close to FPV'ing. ;-)

Here is my latest video of some practice sessions around the yard. Really focused on various different GAIN settings with my setup. All the flying in the video is in ATTI mode, not Manual. I've noticed a lot of posts about ATTI mode flying not responding well and overshooting, etc. In this video, I show the NAZA flying higher speeds with some good stops, direction changes, floats, great altitude holding, etc. All in winds that were gusting from 8-18mph over the weekend (notice my cabana and palm trees flapping in the wind as well as the jello effect from the CMOS shutter issue which the wind really impacts).

So, this is the NAZA in ATTI mode, flying pretty darn well, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Sg4Ri_6DA
Nice flying.
Any chance of some pics of your frame setup?
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
Yeah i don't think that i have it quiet setup right but at least i know that it heads for the ground if the trans signal is lost. I can live with running down a battery until the props stop.

I must says it flies like a dream
May 30, 2012, 10:21 AM
Empire Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupest
Yeah i don't think that i have it quiet setup right but at least i know that it heads for the ground if the trans signal is lost. I can live with running down a battery until the props stop.

I must says it flies like a dream
Yes, the Naza controlled flight is very impressive. As for running down batteries, I've read of nitro heli pilots having to get a chair and sit while their fuel tanks emptied because they couldn't get the bird to shut off. Perhaps the low voltage settings on the Naza, working independently from a radio signal, will help slow down or stop the motors. I'm not interested in sacrificing a battery to test that, but one of our more experienced Naza pilots may know the answer.
May 30, 2012, 10:27 AM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!
If you want the motors to stop instantly when it goes into fail-safe, you can either do the Sticks like when you arm it or go into the assistant & go from intelligent shut -off to immediate shut off.....JJ
May 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
Empire Support

Failsafe throttle setting

I'm unclear on one thing about failsafe settings.
I've read on this thread somewhere that your failsafe throttle setting needs to be about 40%. That's about where I tried to set mine, and all seems well. Some other posts say it should just be above 10%.
Does this setting determine the throttle setting for failsafe/autoland, or does the Naza just slightly lower the atti mid stick setting to make the craft descend?
In other words, do you have the option of setting the rate of descent?
May 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
Empire Support

Failsafe = no radio signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtr1954
If you want the motors to stop instantly when it goes into fail-safe, you can either do the Sticks like when you arm it or go into the assistant & go from intelligent shut -off to immediate shut off.....JJ
If you have lost radio signal, and the Naza is in failsafe, it will not recognize the sticks command
May 30, 2012, 10:41 AM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!
I am speaking of the Futaba Radio settings...I know nothing about any other Radios...& Don't need to!....LMAO!....JJ
May 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
Empire Support

Futaba magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtr1954
I am speaking of the Futaba Radio settings...I know nothing about any other Radios...& Don't need to!....LMAO!....JJ
Now don't think I'm trying to get into radio bashing...
I'm telling you that the sticks command is a radio signal.
If the radio signal is lost, the Naza will not recogonize the sticks command.
Last edited by T J Gilbert; May 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Took some out to keep from suggesting tests that might prove dangerous to some.
May 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
manual flying apologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
I'm unclear on one thing about failsafe settings.
I've read on this thread somewhere that your failsafe throttle setting needs to be about 40%. That's about where I tried to set mine, and all seems well. Some other posts say it should just be above 10%.
Does this setting determine the throttle setting for failsafe/autoland, or does the Naza just slightly lower the atti mid stick setting to make the craft descend?
In other words, do you have the option of setting the rate of descent?
sort of ..... the rate of decent is determined only by thrust to weight ratio
over 10% is what is needed.....
May 30, 2012, 11:06 AM
Empire Support

Failsafe throttle setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275
sort of ..... the rate of decent is determined only by thrust to weight ratio
over 10% is what is needed.....
So the Naza determines the thrust to weight ratio for your airframe based on the mid throttle hover setting and gives slightly less throttle to initiate descent.
This seems logical, and can be a little dicey in a wind:
A slow descent means a higher horizontal to vertical velocity ratio and a ground flip.
A fast descent means a lower horizontal to vertical velocity ratio and a harder plop onto terra firma.
May 30, 2012, 11:37 AM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!

Radio Bashing...Never!

Quote:
Now don't think I'm trying to get into radio bashing...
I'm telling you that the sticks command is a radio signal.
If the radio signal is lost, the Naza will not recogonize the sticks command.
Sorry...did not mean that at all...No smilies in quick rely......JJ....
May 30, 2012, 12:03 PM
manual flying apologist
Quote:
So the Naza determines the thrust to weight ratio for your airframe based on the mid throttle hover setting and gives slightly less throttle to initiate descent.
This seems logical, and can be a little dicey in a wind:
A slow descent means a higher horizontal to vertical velocity ratio and a ground flip.
A fast descent means a lower horizontal to vertical velocity ratio and a harder plop onto terra firma.
yeah it is not an intelligent decent..... it is just set to be under 50% no matter what the weight, thrust or anything else..

so if you have a fat rig it will FALL not descend.... and a super light right with a ton of power and it might not ever come down! I should try this..

put some strong motors that are over propped with 0 additional weight (like wood arms) and see if it goes up on failsafe
May 30, 2012, 12:19 PM
recep
naza with y6
2012 BURSA IŞIKFEST (1 min 31 sec)
May 30, 2012, 12:22 PM
Empire Support

Weight = rate of descent

My rig weighs ~3.5 lbs with GoPro, Servo City gimbal, 3300mAh 4c, & pool noodle gear extensions. I consider that about max for the flamewheel 450. I'm using APC 9x4.5 props. Failsafe descent is not slow, but gentle enough in low wind. If wind is over 7 or 8 mph, I need to take over landing and compensate for wind induced horizontal velocity. Otherwise its high stance causes a ground flip. Now that I'm over the novelty of auto-land, I rarely instigate failsafe with the transmitter switch. Knowing it's there is confidence inspiring though. When the GPS is received and installed, there will be more failsafe play. I think RTL will give me confidence to fly farther/higher to get better video. At 100 feet the little flamewheel 450 becomes a speck. The 20m (66') travel altitude for RTL (if it's the same as WKM) will also be nice as my field is ringed with medium height trees.
May 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
Here is my flight with naza finally set up properly.
FPV Paradise (7 min 8 sec)

Quick Reply