Dec 03, 2010, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Rusty's Cheap DIY Frame Parts

Note- due to lack of interest, this items was eliminated.
Rusty

Greetings,

While I prefer round tubes, I've been planning to offer something for the square tube lovers out there. I don't plan to offer a frame kit, but instead, I've just added a frame plate, and motor mount that can be used for many square/rectangular plates.

http://aglhobbiesllc.com/shop/viewca....php?groupid=6

The idea was to make the plate as universal, and inexpensive as possible. The design supports various tubing shapes and sizes, up to just over the common 5/8" towel bar. The only way to do that was to require the builder to drill two holes to mount the arms. I'd prefer clamps, but without knowing what size tube people will use, that's impossible.

I thought about packaging these as sets, but that's not possible either, since everyone has their own idea about what will work best. I can imagine using anywhere from 2-5 plates for a frame, and the motor mounts are completely optional for some combinations of motors and arms. With that in mind, I will simply sell the parts separately, the buyer choose how many they want.

A fairly typical quad set would be 4 plates, and 4 pairs of mounts, which would be $34 plus shipping.

The purpose of this thread would be to have a place for people to show what they've done with the parts. Since it's a DIY design, I won't be posting any instructions, but I'll toss in a couple pictures of a frame I assembled using towel bars and other parts on hand.

Cheers,
Rusty
Last edited by 13brv3; Jan 03, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2010, 01:46 PM
Nice! I guess you could say Rusty is raising the bar. Ok I'm sorry
Dec 03, 2010, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedWing172
Nice! I guess you could say Rusty is raising the bar. Ok I'm sorry
Groan... Don't make me have to come up there
Rusty
Dec 03, 2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3
Groan... Don't make me have to come up there
Rusty
Hi Rusty,
Is too much for you to do if you can put a "Alignment Mark" on the Clamping Block?
Dec 03, 2010, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb6mcc
Hi Rusty,
Is too much for you to do if you can put a "Alignment Mark" on the Clamping Block?
Hi Ken,

I'm not planning any changes to the Delrin blocks on the Rev7 frame, but I'm always open to suggestions. I'm not quite sure what you're asking though. Do you want some sort of alignment mark on the block? If so, why? What would it align with?

Cheers,
Rusty
Dec 03, 2010, 06:08 PM
Damit Rusty.. stop making new frames !!

Now I've got to work some more overtime next week so I can buy another one before Xmas

Ok now a question: If it's a choice between CF tubes or these square aluminum arms, what would you use?
Dec 03, 2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Hi Ken,

I'm not planning any changes to the Delrin blocks on the Rev7 frame, but I'm always open to suggestions. I'm not quite sure what you're asking though. Do you want some sort of alignment mark on the block? If so, why? What would it align with?

Cheers,
Rusty
Hi Rusty,
Corrected Rusty, The alignment mark will help for someone like me don't have big work shop and trying to line up the motor on the round boom.
Dec 03, 2010, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRC

Ok now a question: If it's a choice between CF tubes or these square aluminum arms, what would you use?
That's easy, I firmly believe round tubes are better, so I won't personally use the square ones. Lots of people like square tubes, and they certainly are easier to work with. My goal was just to make a few parts that will make it easier for DIY types to make their own frames cheaply. There won't be a square tube frame kit.

Cheers,
Rusty
Dec 03, 2010, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb6mcc
Hi Rusty,
Corrected Rusty, The alignment mark will help for someone like me don't have big work shop and trying to line up the motor on the round boom.
Hi Ken,

I guess I still don't see how that will help much, but you can easily use an ice pick to make your own mark if you think it will.

FWIW, I tighten the blocks until they're pretty hard to turn, but not impossible. Once it's all together, I adjust the motor angle without loosening the screws. I just eyeball it, so not fancy tools are even used.

Cheers,
Rusty
Dec 03, 2010, 07:15 PM

This is great

I was considering making the same type of universal mount myself.

You can expect some orders from me very soon!
Dec 03, 2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Greetings,

While I prefer round tubes, I've been planning to offer something for the square tube lovers out there. I don't plan to offer a frame kit, but instead, I've just added a frame plate, and motor mount that can be used for many square/rectangular plates.

http://aglhobbiesllc.com/shop/viewca....php?groupid=6

The idea was to make the plate as universal, and inexpensive as possible. The design supports various tubing shapes and sizes, up to just over the common 5/8" towel bar. The only way to do that was to require the builder to drill two holes to mount the arms. I'd prefer clamps, but without knowing what size tube people will use, that's impossible.

I thought about packaging these as sets, but that's not possible either, since everyone has their own idea about what will work best. I can imagine using anywhere from 2-5 plates for a frame, and the motor mounts are completely optional for some combinations of motors and arms. With that in mind, I will simply sell the parts separately, the buyer choose how many they want.

A fairly typical quad set would be 4 plates, and 4 pairs of mounts, which would be $34 plus shipping.

The purpose of this thread would be to have a place for people to show what they've done with the parts. Since it's a DIY design, I won't be posting any instructions, but I'll toss in a couple pictures of a frame I assembled using towel bars and other parts on hand.

Cheers,
Rusty
I assume you are using G-10 Rusty. What thickness is it?
Dec 03, 2010, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnaimless
I assume you are using G-10 Rusty. What thickness is it?
It's 1/16" G10. Sizes and weight are on the web page.

Rusty
Dec 03, 2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:
It's 1/16" G10. Sizes and weight are on the web page.

Rusty
Oops. Sorry, missed that. I was so stoked I never clicked through to the product description...
Thanks
Dec 03, 2010, 11:33 PM
Rusty, Do you have issues with the motor mounts flexing on lift-off? I tried some G-10 mounts that hung out past the boom and on my first attempt, the prop struck the esc mounted to the boom. I ended up making longer booms and bolted through the boom on the outside. More weight... I thought it was thicker than 1/16 too.
Dec 04, 2010, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoelight
Rusty, Do you have issues with the motor mounts flexing on lift-off? I tried some G-10 mounts that hung out past the boom and on my first attempt, the prop struck the esc mounted to the boom. I ended up making longer booms and bolted through the boom on the outside. More weight... I thought it was thicker than 1/16 too.
I would expect people to use the 1/16" mounts in pairs, unless they're using really wimpy motors. The Rev-7 frame uses 1/8" G10 mounts, and flex has never been a problem. I've personally use 1/16" mounts, but they're very small, and there isn't enough leverage to flex.

For the square tubes, I kinda like the idea of putting one mount on top, and the other on the bottom. That would help spread the load on the arms when you tighten the screws. To have them work as a pair, you'd have to put standoffs between the two mounts. That arrangement would also protect the shaft on the motor.

It's also likely that people will skip the mounts all together, and just attach the motors to the tubes directly.

Rusty

Quick Reply