Dec 14, 2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I think the main reason to get two of the same model is that you have a backup in case of a crash. Since you aren't crashing the X5, I don't see any point in getting another one.
I keep 4 of them ready to fly so when i am away i dont have to rebuild in a case of a crash. The v120 is the best flying heli from walkera. My best crash protaction is having good supply of parts on hand.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2012, 11:54 AM

no video

I cany seem to upload a video is there some change to the system?
Dec 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
I would have liked to see hardened skids first.
xtreme does a fine one pretty cheap, so imo there is no real need.
Quote:
I rarely damage the head, blades, and swashplate.
I actually never damaged these parts and I crash inverted a lot. I guess crashing inverted is not so bad, if you hit throttle hold in time and the ground is soft (grass/dust)
The part I destroy a lot is the canopy. Anyone knows a good way to make it stronger? cause mine is full of tape ...
Dec 14, 2012, 07:47 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
I think the main reason to get two of the same model is that you have a backup in case of a crash. Since you aren't crashing the X5, I don't see any point in getting another one.
Yeah, i dread the day. I have no parts on hand and the heli will be down for a while. But hopefully with proper oiling and everything. I won't have any problems. Though i still think, maybe i should grab that X5, already built airframe. Just to have all the parts. It seems like one hell of a deal. Especially considering the limited supply of kits and parts from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
I cany seem to upload a video is there some change to the system?

I never was able to upload video here. I always had to link to youtube. Even my privately hosted videos and flash players wouldn't work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
xtreme does a fine one pretty cheap, so imo there is no real need.

I actually never damaged these parts and I crash inverted a lot. I guess crashing inverted is not so bad, if you hit throttle hold in time and the ground is soft (grass/dust)
The part I destroy a lot is the canopy. Anyone knows a good way to make it stronger? cause mine is full of tape ...
I have to agree. I use the Xtreme landing skids for my V120D02S and my V120D05. The main gear is a tight fit in the D05 and it requires some modification to fit the battery properly. At least the way i like it. But the Xtreme landing skids hardly ever break on me. They are a direct "drop in" fit for the V120D02S, even though they were originally made for the first V120D02, before the "S" Model. From time to time i break the legs or the battery cage. But it's only $3 to replace them, and it's very rare. Usually after a good amount of fatiguing. The whole landing skid does cost almost $10 initially though. They are even a little bit lighter than the stock skids i think. (don't quote me, because i honestly didn't weigh them. But they have a CF mid section, so... Maybe)
Dec 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Yeah, i dread the day. I have no parts on hand and the heli will be down for a while. But hopefully with proper oiling and everything. I won't have any problems. Though i still think, maybe i should grab that X5, already built airframe. Just to have all the parts. It seems like one hell of a deal. Especially considering the limited supply of kits and parts from time to time.

I never was able to upload video here. I always had to link to youtube. Even my privately hosted videos and flash players wouldn't work here.

I have to agree. I use the Xtreme landing skids for my V120D02S and my V120D05. The main gear is a tight fit in the D05 and it requires some modification to fit the battery properly. At least the way i like it. But the Xtreme landing skids hardly ever break on me. They are a direct "drop in" fit for the V120D02S, even though they were originally made for the first V120D02, before the "S" Model. From time to time i break the legs or the battery cage. But it's only $3 to replace them, and it's very rare. Usually after a good amount of fatiguing. The whole landing skid does cost almost $10 initially though. They are even a little bit lighter than the stock skids i think. (don't quote me, because i honestly didn't weigh them. But they have a CF mid section, so... Maybe)
I take my gear and put on hot black glue that L Bob suggested and they take quite a beating without breaking. Havent lost a landing gear in quite a while.
Dec 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
I take my gear and put on hot black glue that L Bob suggested and they take quite a beating without breaking. Havent lost a landing gear in quite a while.
I used to do that as well. It works great. Especially on the stock skids.
Dec 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
Thread OP
If possible, I prefer to fly the same helicopter for the whole session. I used to bring up to 3 V120D02S to the flying field. Now I prefer just to being two because I cannot maintain 3 properly at the same time. I have difficult in getting third party parts on the streets here. I have damaged the head and grips a few times, but that seems to be related to the Solo Pro 180 blades that I use. The increase in visibility is worth it for me despite the higher chance of damage to my head.

As I mentioned earlier, I have put in 1200 flights since May this year and I am taking a bit of a break now so I can concentrate on my faltering business. I have just sent my Devo 12 off to Walkera for repair and it will be at least one month before I get it back. In the meantime, I have only one 2801 compatible V120D02S that I can use.

Looking back at my training record for 3D. It has been rather slow. It could be that I haven't used a SIM once I mastered an inverted hover. My learning log for 3D is like this

250 flights - full flips and rolls of which thousands have been carried out.
300 flights - sustained inverted hover in all orientations
500 flights - all types of fast and slow inverted circuits
800 flights - moving transitions and slow continuous aerobatic flight. I have still got a very long way to go before it is smooth and accurate.
Dec 14, 2012, 10:13 PM
Multirotor Promotor
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post

Where can one purchase these Xtreme skids?
Dec 14, 2012, 11:23 PM
astroX, Warpquad,Geprc,Diatone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju204 View Post
WhatI don't get is why they don't just make the canopy out of the same plastic that blister packaging is made from? That stuff resists tearing, splitting, and shattering which is what you need for a heli canopy. Only reason I can figure they don't use it is maybe no paint adheres to it good enough? or maybe it's because they would stop making a fortune selling replacement canopies?
Dec 14, 2012, 11:33 PM
Hi guys, i have sort of been following this thread on and off over the last number of months...
I basically started off flying this time last year, have, initailly i started off with walkera models, worked my way up through their FP range, then sort of ended with the v1 v120d02s (which i was very impressed with and taught me alot of basic 3d stuff, i loved this even more than mcpx)
i ended up selling all my walkeras,

since then i have been flying Align 450 pros, Align 500,550,and 700.

basically why i am back here, is that i still have the case for the v120, i have about 150$ or more of spares still, and about 6 batteries, so i am really keen on the idea of buying a new V2 V120d02S with DEVO10 , just for fun, to throw in the car when i have limited space to fly etc... do you think its a good idea?
Obviously i am a better pilot now after flying the more powerful stuff, so do you think i will still enjoy this one?

Thanks guys.,
Dec 15, 2012, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
WhatI don't get is why they don't just make the canopy out of the same plastic that blister packaging is made from? That stuff resists tearing, splitting, and shattering which is what you need for a heli canopy. Only reason I can figure they don't use it is maybe no paint adheres to it good enough? or maybe it's because they would stop making a fortune selling replacement canopies?
Use the paper canopy designs printed on glossy photo paper. They are more durable and I think look better than the stock ones...

Chief
Dec 15, 2012, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andione1983 View Post
Hi guys, i have sort of been following this thread on and off over the last number of months...
I basically started off flying this time last year, have, initailly i started off with walkera models, worked my way up through their FP range, then sort of ended with the v1 v120d02s (which i was very impressed with and taught me alot of basic 3d stuff, i loved this even more than mcpx)
i ended up selling all my walkeras,

since then i have been flying Align 450 pros, Align 500,550,and 700.

basically why i am back here, is that i still have the case for the v120, i have about 150$ or more of spares still, and about 6 batteries, so i am really keen on the idea of buying a new V2 V120d02S with DEVO10 , just for fun, to throw in the car when i have limited space to fly etc... do you think its a good idea?
Obviously i am a better pilot now after flying the more powerful stuff, so do you think i will still enjoy this one?

Thanks guys.,

the simple answer is yes.....i think you will have a blast. also, if you itch for more power there are a couple of good routes you can take. really though, you should do it.
Dec 15, 2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
Where can one purchase these Xtreme skids?
In lot of places, that carry xtreme parts. Part number is W46009.
I like miracle-mart in hk, also wow in USA have them. In Europe, either rc-helicopters-cars.fr or ckado.com chip in 48h. There are really many options.
That is really the only upgrade I did on this heli.
Last edited by ju204; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Dec 15, 2012, 10:43 AM
Multirotor Promotor
Cool, will check out Wow since I live here in the states. Anyone try the Xtreme frame for the V120DO2S or V2?
Dec 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
Cool, will check out Wow since I live here in the states. Anyone try the Xtreme frame for the V120DO2S or V2?
Don't worry about getting any of the other "upgrade" parts for the V120D02S. Just the skids and maybe a slipper clutch. there are some other light home mods you can do for durability. But the other CNC parts and things like that are just expensive. I have not tried that frame, but it's probably heavy. It's really a whole new heli if you get that. You have to replace the whole airframe. So it's really not going to be a V120D02S after that. In my opinion.

Quick Reply