View Poll Results: You own Futaba or Spektrum
I own FUTABA 99 38.52%
I own SPEKTRUM 113 43.97%
I own BOTH 45 17.51%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
I have been using futaba since the mid 70's, with a few hitecs and airtronics thrown in. I have had 1 spektrum radio, a dx3s car radio. With the experiance of that 1 spektrum radio and the number of problems I read about will keep me away from spektrum. Never have had a futaba failure.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrider
I have been using futaba since the mid 70's, with a few hitecs and airtronics thrown in. I have had 1 spektrum radio, a dx3s car radio. With the experiance of that 1 spektrum radio and the number of problems I read about will keep me away from spektrum. Never have had a futaba failure.
I started with Futaba - - did not have good experience- - flew a number of other brands - went to JR then Spektrum- no problems

I see others using Futaba now - with good results
But they are woefully short on the features I like in a radio- As for the tirades on line about radios - having seen how they are written -it is obvious most are from those who really have no understanding of how this stuff works.
Just chatter -----
Aug 08, 2012, 05:55 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver

Spektrum +1

I was out of the hobby for about fifteen years. Flew Futaba exclusively back in the days. Got back into the hobby four years ago and bought a DX7.
I bought a DX8 a year and a half ago. Love it. Model match, telemetry with flight log, ease of programming, backlight display, auto timer start, vibrator for warnings (I wear two hearing aides), DSMX, smooth gimbals, LiPo compatible, excellent support. All this for ~ $400. Very happy with my decision to standardize on Spektrum. Zero problems of any kind. DX18 is in my future.

Yesterday was blue skies, 85F, and low humidity with light winds - 5:30 pm. Flew my Sensor 117 sailplane converted to electric and found nice lift after climb to 1100 feet. Saw 2039 feet AGL within 8 minutes and then worked some low lift for 5 minutes before landing for total flight of 23 minutes. DX8 with AR8000 & satelite Rx. F:2 H:0. Nice day…
Aug 08, 2012, 09:51 PM
Spektrum +1 as well.

Started with a DX7 on DSM2 and used it without any problems for 2 years.

I upgraded to a DX8 about 12 months ago and am running a mix of DSM2 and DSMX receivers without problems.
We have a lot of Spektrum users at our club and no one is reporting any issues that I'm aware of.

BIW.
Aug 08, 2012, 10:28 PM
I grew up with futaba. Conquest FM, 5UAP, 7UAP (non super). Never had a glitch, never lost a plane due to radio link issues. Got back into the hobby, put fresh batteries into my 7uap and 9VAP and they still work great. Now that everyone has moved to 2.4 Ghz. I seem to own the frequency board at the field.

I have been wanting to move to 2.4 I have looked at both Futaba, and Spektrum. To me Spektrum is new on the block and the biggest gripe i have with them is their ergonomics. Its a flat Box, and they seem to be harder to reach the gimbles and get full travel without readjusting hand position. no sliders, and they seem to be really optimized for the heli crowd. Futaba seems to have the edge, on ergonomics.

Futaba could stand to learn a little from Spektrum when it comes to ease of programming.

Futaba could learn a lot from spektrum when it comes to managing its product line. FASST 7 channel, FASST 8 Channel, FASSTEST, FHSS, S-FHSS. its enough to make your head spin and adds enough uncertainty that you constantly have to worry if your going to get orphaned along the way. Spektrum seems to do a good job making sure the radios always work no matter what combination of DSM2 or DSMX you have. To that I have to give Spektrum a major thumbs up. I want to buy a radio and not have to worry about the vendor fracturing the product line and killing off a product that I have invested into.

Spektrum has better packaging (but that only matters when your lusting after the product in the store).

Futaba has better system for their receivers. Diversity through two dipoles is much easier than spektrum's satellite system. I imagine the majority of Spektrum's woes is improper installation of those satellites. Either not enough of them, or people just put them in wrong.

Reciever cost is a wash, but Spektrum seems to have more variety.

SBus that is a cool technology.

Futaba always has had the better servos. I hate to maul my futaba connectors just to make them fit into a jr/spektrum receiver (maybe this is not necessary anymore).

Futaba is the wise and experienced individual. Spektrum is the bright eyed kid full of ideas and innovation, but makes careless mistakes. The reality is both could learn from each other, and make better products.
Aug 09, 2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX
I grew up with futaba. Conquest FM, 5UAP, 7UAP (non super). Never had a glitch, never lost a plane due to radio link issues. Got back into the hobby, put fresh batteries into my 7uap and 9VAP and they still work great. Now that everyone has moved to 2.4 Ghz. I seem to own the frequency board at the field.

I have been wanting to move to 2.4 I have looked at both Futaba, and Spektrum. To me Spektrum is new on the block and the biggest gripe i have with them is their ergonomics. Its a flat Box, and they seem to be harder to reach the gimbles and get full travel without readjusting hand position. no sliders, and they seem to be really optimized for the heli crowd. Futaba seems to have the edge, on ergonomics.

Futaba could stand to learn a little from Spektrum when it comes to ease of programming.

Futaba could learn a lot from spektrum when it comes to managing its product line. FASST 7 channel, FASST 8 Channel, FASSTEST, FHSS, S-FHSS. its enough to make your head spin and adds enough uncertainty that you constantly have to worry if your going to get orphaned along the way. Spektrum seems to do a good job making sure the radios always work no matter what combination of DSM2 or DSMX you have. To that I have to give Spektrum a major thumbs up. I want to buy a radio and not have to worry about the vendor fracturing the product line and killing off a product that I have invested into.

Spektrum has better packaging (but that only matters when your lusting after the product in the store).

Futaba has better system for their receivers. Diversity through two dipoles is much easier than spektrum's satellite system. I imagine the majority of Spektrum's woes is improper installation of those satellites. Either not enough of them, or people just put them in wrong.

Reciever cost is a wash, but Spektrum seems to have more variety.

SBus that is a cool technology.

Futaba always has had the better servos. I hate to maul my futaba connectors just to make them fit into a jr/spektrum receiver (maybe this is not necessary anymore).

Futaba is the wise and experienced individual. Spektrum is the bright eyed kid full of ideas and innovation, but makes careless mistakes. The reality is both could learn from each other, and make better products.
Did you know that Spektrum originated 2.4 for our use?
Futaba brought out their version sometime later -
The choices they made in hardware, led them into the "stew" of operating protocols they now offer.
As for satellites - They would offer em if they could .
Do their systems work?
Of course - -even the $29.95 stuff works.- check it out -
Getting a 2.4 setup to have good reception is RC 101.
Problem is- too many users never got past kindergarten.
As you noted innovation is the key here - Spektrum simply ran away with this part of the 2.4 market.
Aug 09, 2012, 07:54 AM
Next week? Round 2?
Aug 09, 2012, 07:56 AM
I thought Round 1 started several years ago. I figure we're up to Round 32766 now.

Andy
Aug 09, 2012, 08:11 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Did you know that Spektrum originated 2.4 for our use?
Futaba brought out their version sometime later -
The choices they made in hardware, led them into the "stew" of operating protocols they now offer.
As for satellites - They would offer em if they could .
Do their systems work?
Of course - -even the $29.95 stuff works.- check it out -
Getting a 2.4 setup to have good reception is RC 101.
Problem is- too many users never got past kindergarten.
As you noted innovation is the key here - Spektrum simply ran away with this part of the 2.4 market.
I believe this is very accurate-Fuh, tah, ba? We don need no stinkin' Fuh, tah, ba!
Aug 09, 2012, 08:39 AM
Oxford Panic
I can see why Americans want to buy Spektrum for reasons of patriotism, but living on the other side of the pond I feel no such emotion when it comes to buying my R/C systems. My prime reason for using Futaba is for reliability, I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with any Futaba original gear over 32 years of use. I have had a few of my own making but that's another story. The amount I've saved in not crashing over the past 3 decades has more than made up for the extra it has cost me in the initial investment.

A.
Aug 09, 2012, 08:41 AM
Suspended Account
Patriotism played absolutely NO PART in my decision: I bought the DX 7 shortly after it became available to move from Hitec to 2.4 ghz. Now, I have a great system, and when Hitec when to 2.4, I bought the A 9.
Aug 09, 2012, 08:41 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
We all have our own valid reasons why we bought the brand/radio we did. At the end of the day it's our wallets and we have to do what is best for ourselves.
Aug 09, 2012, 08:49 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
I can see why Americans want to buy Spektrum for reasons of patriotism, but living on the other side of the pond I feel no such emotion when it comes to buying my R/C systems. My prime reason for using Futaba is for reliability, I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with any Futaba original gear over 32 years of use. I have had a few of my own making but that's another story. The amount I've saved in not crashing over the past 3 decades has more than made up for the extra it has cost me in the initial investment.

A.
My "Patriotism" has been dwindling for the last 20 years or so. It has been replaced with "Earthlingism".

VP
Aug 09, 2012, 08:51 AM
Oxford Panic
OK so price has a big part to play but I can't get that old saying out of my head...

" buy cheap, buy twice"

A.
Aug 09, 2012, 08:52 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
OK so price has a big part to play but I can't get that old saying out of my head...

" buy cheap, buy twice"

A.
Sometimes more than twice!

VP

Quick Reply