Dec 09, 2012, 06:30 AM
FPV junkie
Nice Octo...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2012, 12:48 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
A quick flight with my new F450 flying in the snow. First time flying it and its silky smooth!

Need to figure a better way to mount the GoPro Hero 3

DJI F450 first flight (3 min 52 sec)
Dec 09, 2012, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78
A quick flight with my new F450 flying in the snow. First time flying it and its silky smooth!

Need to figure a better way to mount the GoPro Hero 3
Great flight! It looks really smooth. How do you have the GoPro mounted? I bet if you played around with some damping, you might be able to get rid of the jello. I've found that using a few thick newspaper rubberbands around the camera case on a gel like adhesive works really well on my quads. Did you FPV it yet? It's a real different sensation than flying a plane.
Dec 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpe
Great flight! It looks really smooth. How do you have the GoPro mounted? I bet if you played around with some damping, you might be able to get rid of the jello. I've found that using a few thick newspaper rubberbands around the camera case on a gel like adhesive works really well on my quads. Did you FPV it yet? It's a real different sensation than flying a plane.
Thanks, it flys super smooth and east to fly. That was also my first flight with it.

I just slapped the gopro on there with some 3m tape.

For now I'm not too concerned with it. I'm getting the tbs discovery frame for it. Then I will mount it better and do fpv. This flight was just los.
Dec 10, 2012, 11:46 AM
More Combat Please!
Davidpe,

I'm curious how you're going about getting approvals for these sort of commercial flights. It's illegal by FAA standards to do any aerial video work commercially, yet thousands of people do it anyway. Do you even bother with approvals, or just do the shoots, run your business, and ignore all the FAA stupidity?

I want so badly to get out and make money doing this stuff, but the legal limitations and my conscience have been holding me back.

Whenever I see people out doing projects like this I feel frustration and envy, a dangerous dichotomy.
Dec 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
More Combat Please!
demonspawn, I have a discovery frame if you're interested. I only flew it a couple of times.
Dec 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change
demonspawn, I have a discovery frame if you're interested. I only flew it a couple of times.
I'll take it. What do you want for it?
Dec 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
More Combat Please!
I paid $94 (Frame plus four arms), and $15 shipping. Total of $109.

Give it to you for $95, unless you feel like paying full price.

It's built, but I've removed all the RC gear. Wasn't large enough to carry around a gimbal, it's more of a small sport flyer.
Dec 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
3d NOOBular
Has anyone tried the emerson go action cam? I watched some vids on youtube and the quality does not seem to be anywhere near comparable to a gopro but just wondering if anyone has tested one.
Dec 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
wheeeeee!
Another (what I consider) great use for FPV:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...chers/266133/#
Dec 12, 2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
I paid $94 (Frame plus four arms), and $15 shipping. Total of $109.

Give it to you for $95, unless you feel like paying full price.

It's built, but I've removed all the RC gear. Wasn't large enough to carry around a gimbal, it's more of a small sport flyer.
Tried pm'ing you, your box is full.

Just wondering when we could meet up so I can get that frame from you?

Thanks Mike.
Dec 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
More Combat Please!
Mike, sorry my PM was full, I just made some room. PM me your phone number and I'll call you. I'll be going up sometime this weekend to see the Hobbit in the Sandy area and could hook up with you then.
Dec 13, 2012, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Davidpe,

I'm curious how you're going about getting approvals for these sort of commercial flights. It's illegal by FAA standards to do any aerial video work commercially, yet thousands of people do it anyway. Do you even bother with approvals, or just do the shoots, run your business, and ignore all the FAA stupidity?

I want so badly to get out and make money doing this stuff, but the legal limitations and my conscience have been holding me back.

Whenever I see people out doing projects like this I feel frustration and envy, a dangerous dichotomy.
Good questions all. I appreciate how you feel. Approvals lead to delays that lead to lost opportunities. It's more of a hobby than a business anyway.

Commercial means getting paid right...? Never said I was getting paid. Just having some fun.
Dec 13, 2012, 12:50 AM
Hey, not sure if anyone is interested in this but I just received an offer directly from GoPro for $100 off the black or silver edition. That's a really good deal. Too bad I already bought one at full pop!

This offer was sent to anyone involved with the Warren Miller premier held downtown in Oct. I believe the code can only be used once. So first come, first served. Let me know if you're interested.
Dec 13, 2012, 01:34 AM
Design, Build, and Fly
Another positive use for FPV, also from the Atlantic:
http://www.theatlantic.com/video/arc...prague/266106/

Quick Reply