Feb 14, 2013, 06:50 PM
WTN
WTN
This is a newbie question. I will add rudders to my plane. When you guys (that have rudders) are steering the plane, do you use both ailerons and a mix of rudders? (This is when you are in the air)

How about for landing? I would think just rudders?

Since the channel controls the front gear. Like in the middle.

WTN
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2013, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN
This is a newbie question. I will add rudders to my plane. When you guys (that have rudders) are steering the plane, do you use both ailerons and a mix of rudders? (This is when you are in the air)

How about for landing? I would think just rudders?

Since the channel controls the front gear. Like in the middle.

WTN
Rudders on F18s tend to induce a roll. You'll need to give some opposite aileron input to make level turns using rudders.
Suggest practicing on the sim using a jet that rolls on the rudder.
Feb 14, 2013, 11:35 PM
3rd-dem,

I was just wondering what kind of speed/vertical and flight time you were getting with your power set up? Thanks for your help!

ndfanatix
Feb 15, 2013, 12:48 AM
Roger on that induced "roll effect"; I built the much threaded 70mm Starmax F-18 indeed very similar to this one last year. Most left rudders out but those that did complained of rapid rolls and even several lost the jet due to incorporating rudders. Now perhaps they put throws to much but just letting you know its not really needed for the Exceed version either.
Feb 15, 2013, 01:30 AM
advanced n00b
Rudder will induce a pitch down on any plane if there is not opposite aileron input. I was taught the scale way to make turns is to turn the rudder the way you want to turn and correct with the aileron. on a full scale plane this keeps the whole plane on the turning line and prevents "slip" (where the nose and tail are not on the same turn line, lowing actual control through the turn). from the planes i have flown since being in the hobby though, it doesn't seem to have a huge affect on them. Most of my planes were sold as crank and yank (no rudder). I have just added it later.
Feb 15, 2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TIMBITS"
Roger on that induced "roll effect"; I built the much threaded 70mm Starmax F-18 indeed very similar to this one last year. Most left rudders out but those that did complained of rapid rolls and even several lost the jet due to incorporating rudders. Now perhaps they put throws to much but just letting you know its not really needed for the Exceed version either.
I had the same bird. I set her up as a hand launch and then turned the rudders into an airbrake. Gave it a great nose up attitude when deployed.
The only jet I've found to turn well with rudder only (no or little aileron input) is the f4 and a4.
I didn't do rudders on this one because of my lack of enjoyment with them on the starmax f18.
Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=Rangerfan;24143447]I had the same bird.
Not great luck with mine "Ranger" - used a 3000 mah batt and found the hand tosses "iffy" at times - hoping better launches with this one as I'll try the same battery. The Starmax version had a smaller kv motor in it compared to this Exceed one so hoping I won't have trouble getting it up on step after "the chuck"
Feb 16, 2013, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan
Rudders on F18s tend to induce a roll. You'll need to give some opposite aileron input to make level turns using rudders.
Suggest practicing on the sim using a jet that rolls on the rudder.
Same with F14...I'm thinking it's twin rudder thang...

I have the rudder expos on that jet set really really high
Feb 16, 2013, 06:18 AM
sharing the onboard flight and the landing strip at the park...nerve wrecking landing....

Select HD 1080 in youtube while watching for better resolution!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMRD5JDYIs
Last edited by viperviper; Feb 16, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Feb 16, 2013, 07:37 AM
deleted.. double posting.
Feb 16, 2013, 10:04 PM
Another F-18 70mm flight with low altitude passes not speed passes as i forgotten to change the wording in the video. Watch for the landing too!!!
Set video quality to HD in Youtube!

cheers!

F 18 JR 3D 70mm flight (3 min 59 sec)
Last edited by viperviper; Feb 18, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Feb 16, 2013, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper
Another F-18 70mm flight with low altitude passes. Watch for the landing too!!!
Set video quality to HD in Youtube!

cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIrYz4Uth0
Nice landing!!!!

Which lipo do you use? Three minutes on your timer? Ten blades fan?
Feb 16, 2013, 10:59 PM
An aspirational fast jet pilot
Nice flying.
Feb 17, 2013, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast
Nice landing!!!!

Which lipo do you use? Three minutes on your timer? Ten blades fan?
i'm using 4S 4000mah 45-90C lipo. 3mins on timer, normally i will allow it to beep and then i will line up to land. Yes, 10 blades fan.
Feb 17, 2013, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Goose
Nice flying.
tks!

Quick Reply