Feb 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
My GeeBee should be here tomorrow. $73 was just to good to pass up. Anyway, do the GWS props fit the stock prop adapter?
First off, the 5030 is the only GWS prop that will work. The ID is correct, but the hub isn't as thick as the factory prop's hub, so you'll need a spacer behind the 5030. The one that comes with the Sbach adapter is just the right size. Any similarly-sized spacer will work. Alternatively, you can simply shorten the nose of the adapter to eliminate the need for a spacer.

Joel
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2013, 07:51 PM

props 5030 or 5043

Now that I have flown the GeeBee to the point of not crashing(still new to flying) I was going to try a different prop. I have both the 5043 fits well and the 5030 needs a spacer. So which one with the stock setup and e-flight batteries will work best. Thanks for the help.
Feb 12, 2013, 08:38 PM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbow View Post
Now that I have flown the GeeBee to the point of not crashing(still new to flying) I was going to try a different prop. I have both the 5043 fits well and the 5030 needs a spacer. So which one with the stock setup and e-flight batteries will work best. Thanks for the help.
I keep reading the 5030 is the best upgrade
Feb 12, 2013, 09:48 PM
RCG -Minus Member
I fail to see how the 5x3 gives more thrust when there is even less prop clearing the cowl.

I guess i'm missing something.
Latest blog entry: Nall in the Fall '21
Feb 12, 2013, 10:47 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by microflitedude View Post
I fail to see how the 5x3 gives more thrust when there is even less prop clearing the cowl.

I guess i'm missing something.
That has had me scratching my head for a while about this plane, it seems like most of the thrust from the prop will just be blasted straight into the cowl, yet this is a very fast "race" plane, its just odd how that works. I'm trying to think back to my engineering school days for an answer and can't come up with it

I'm sure TurboParker can school us on this....
Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
Aren't you trading power for prop speed by going smaller with less pitch? In this case, power seems to be too much for the board, so perhaps it's running more efficiently by turning at higher RPMs and lower amps.I thought it was like running a lower gear when climbing a hill.
Last edited by djhurlbut; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
I'm using a 5430 with no issues OCP or otherwise, but I'm at 5200 ft.
Feb 12, 2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
That has had me scratching my head for a while about this plane, it seems like most of the thrust from the prop will just be blasted straight into the cowl, yet this is a very fast "race" plane, its just odd how that works. I'm trying to think back to my engineering school days for an answer and can't come up with it

Propeller blades are airfoils themselves. They aren't very efficient blowing all kinds of air back into the cowl, but they do in fact create low pressure in front of the blades and considerable suction through the air. The original Gee Bee worked just fine with a prop that didn't clear the cowl very much
Feb 12, 2013, 11:21 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Propeller blades are airfoils themselves. They aren't very efficient blowing all kinds of air back into the cowl, but they do in fact create low pressure in front of the blades and considerable suction through the air. The original Gee Bee worked just fine with a prop that didn't clear the cowl very much
Thank you! I knew there was something I was overlooking
Feb 12, 2013, 11:47 PM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker View Post
I'm using a 5430 with no issues OCP or otherwise, but I'm at 5200 ft.
A 5430?
or a 5043?
Feb 13, 2013, 12:10 AM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
My GeeBee should be here tomorrow. $73 was just to good to pass up. Anyway, do the GWS props fit the stock prop adapter?
yes, the diameter is right, but you do have to cut the length of the adapter down a little bit. just put the new prop on, mark the end, and cut it off, then sand so its JUST below flush, like it is with the stock prop.
Feb 13, 2013, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
A 5430?
or a 5043?
Thick fingers 5043
Feb 13, 2013, 12:23 AM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
yea the airfoil thing is part of it, but not entirely correct.... You cant really compare it to a wing in normal flight, its more like a wing in high alpha flight.

Liek bhoov128 said, a propeller doesn't work by "pushing air backward", it works by pushing ON the air, and "screwing" itself through the air (another name for a propeller is an airscrew)

Think about a plane in high alpha flight... its pushing a whole lot of air downward due to its wing angle, but do you think its flying because of the air its pushing downward, or the air that's pushing against the wing as the plane moves forward? Another way to look at it, ever stuck your hand out the window on the freeway? Angle it up and the air striking your palm moves it upward. (not the air that's deflecting downward)

While that big cowl does have some effect, its not as much as you would think. On the original, being able to fit that giant engine was a much bigger plus than the small negative effect of the"wall" behind the prop....

Also remember that the inner part of the prop isn't really pushing that much air...
Feb 13, 2013, 12:37 AM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker View Post
Thick fingers 5043
great to know!
I live at the same elevation as you, so I will give the 5030 and 5043 a try
Feb 13, 2013, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Think about a plane in high alpha flight... its pushing a whole lot of air downward due to its wing angle, but do you think its flying because of the air its pushing downward, or the air that's pushing against the wing as the plane moves forward? Another way to look at it, ever stuck your hand out the window on the freeway? Angle it up and the air striking your palm moves it upward. (not the air that's deflecting downward)
a wing in high alpha flight also generates very low pressure on the top surface of the wing, sucking the plane upwards. 2 minutes on airliners.net browsing photos will show you plenty of shots of high aoa wings with such low pressure over them that they pull condensation out of the air, creating a cloud over the wings. And, if you pay attention to the hand out the window trick you can surely feel suction on the back of your hand.

Quick Reply