Oct 27, 2012, 10:10 AM
Just fly...
I think Jon IS the problem....
Lol!!!

Great work, Roland.

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINETIC
Well, Yes! That's the ONLY choice to do it in a reasonable time to satisfy the problem with Jon.....

Roland
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
hot air rises...
I have been doing a bit of destructive testing this last year, I'd really like to do more non-destructive testing in the future . If the plane didn't fly so well for me, I'd have have moved on long ago... but it does!
Oct 27, 2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the response, Roland. That's right about in line with what I had figured. Though even without doing a full analysis with anisotropic materials you can learn a lot about where the stresses are and how to avoid concentration factors. Cheers

Brandon
Oct 30, 2012, 12:25 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
I finally got my hands on Concept 2.
First 2.5hours ,tired ,like I was working all day
Trimming went on gusty winds and ballasted to 270gr.
Trimmed her as much as I could and left the field, there was no flying ,just struggling with wind gusts.
But got back in one hour ,and found spot behind tall pine trees,which was blocking some wind,got rid from one chunk of led and soon fished another one from the fuse nose.Now I have plane at 260gr and almost no wind.Then flying started.

I loved her of course, as she is am amazing floater.
If beginner could afford such machine,I'd say she is a beginner's heaven.
I do understan now,why ALL You guys such a huge fans of Roland's masterpiece.So do I.

The only thing which I found ,C2 wing is flexes
on" snake turns" and looses energy more then my solid core planes.
I 'll be perfectly fine with it as from now on ,she is my #1 pleasant relaxing soarer.
Needles to mention ,launches higher then my both 260gr Salonits or even new ,more swept back wing Apus.

Also,I personally would use FAST digital (0.06-0.07)servo for elevator.
...but it is just me,I am not competitor and mostly flying in the places where people don't.Fast elevator servo would allow me to make faster maneuver
between buildings ,or close standing trees for instance.
Guys,do You secure Your canopy with tape or something,it keeps sliding back on me when catching on landings.
I got my C2 used and one of the wing servos has tiny slop,which is enough to produce flap flutter with nasty rattling noise while passing low and fast....it also means that I am loosing some altitude on launch...
But ,in general -I am happy camper
Thank You Roland for wonderful plane.
Yuri.
Oct 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
Where is the lift?
Yes Yuri, tape is used to keep the canopy secure.

Charlie
Oct 30, 2012, 08:02 AM
usaf3kteam
Hi Yuri if you fly it like your racing planes you will snap the wing. Please do not make hard turns or fast speed pull ups. The plane is not designed for it. No dlg will hold speed like your planes. Remember how your your planes weight much more and your wings is much thinner. Yuri you make nice planes.
Oct 30, 2012, 10:02 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Thank You guys,I 'll be gentle with her.
BTW ,if somebody has the wing snapped and beyond repair,please PM me.
Yuri
Oct 31, 2012, 01:28 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
It is a mandatory for me to have easy connection between wing and fuse.
I have lost 5gr of shrink wrap and wires and added 2 gr 4 pin connector.
Looks like one RDS pockets worn out slightly,not servo.
Big relieve !!!
Yuri
P.S. Dont blame me for that nasty opening in the fuse....not my job
Oct 31, 2012, 01:37 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
Awesome job Yuri. Great idea.

Mike
Oct 31, 2012, 02:09 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Careful with that large hole!

jfinch in Utah lost a concept due to a fueslage break during launch at the location of his joiner hole.

BP
Oct 31, 2012, 02:43 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
Careful with that large hole!

jfinch in Utah lost a concept due to a fueslage break during launch at the location of his joiner hole.

BP
I know ,but there is not much I can do.
I saw Roland's drawing about reinforcement critical points .
And have checked these two inner sides of the fuse and they are perfectly rounded ,I see no reason to increase weight with more tow over those "corners"
Two carbon pins in the wing front and back make the wing work as part of the fuse.With tight fit of the wing of course.
My CG is right on the Roland's recommendations 86mm but I feel,I can move it a little further back but not forward.

BTW ,I have been told by experts not to torture her much
Yuri.
Oct 31, 2012, 05:46 PM
usaf3kteam
I must say I have never seen a Concept fuse break there and. Ihave had Gary Jensen throw mine also Donnie Nick Tosco and never seen that. The very first Concept that I ever owned Gary Jensen snaped that fuse but in front of the wing. That plane was a proto type and has not been around for three years it had the canopy on the side. I have great results with my planes but I treat my planes with lots respect fly them for what the were designed for. Thanks Rolan, Mong and Eric for such fantastic DLG your the best.
Oct 31, 2012, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
Yuri, you take care of my baby, OK?

Dan
Nov 01, 2012, 08:35 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Now I know what Roland and Mong feel like. Hurricane Sandy ripped up Long Island pretty bad. within 1 block of my home, 9 trees are down.

One of them in my back yard. 70ft Oak tree took out the pole, transformer, power lines, and all telecommunication lines (Verizon, cablevision and regular phone).

I was about to go out to remove a propane tank when I doubled back in to get a wrench. That is when it fell. Just missing the deck I would have been on. Wife and daughter saw it fall and screamed, 'Frank, Oh my God It is Falling!!!' I ran up stairs just as the power went out.

Had to call the fire dept 5 times to report a fire in aa neighbor's yard from the downed lines. The tree was glowing red from the line being draged and stripped through it and was risking of a fire. Luckily it never caught fire but the bushed below did several times.

Luckily everyone is safe and no damage to the home. Just need to wait for power to be restored.

I know I said I wanted the full Roland experience when I purchased a CX2 but Now I can say I HAVE THE FULL EXPERIENCE!!!

Frank
Nov 01, 2012, 09:15 AM
up from the skies
Glad to hear you and family are safe, thanks for the update-take care
Tom

Quick Reply