Jan 20, 2013, 03:22 PM
You'r lucky to have the CC ESC with an adjustable head speed change rate, because I don't know of any other ESC with this feature, it's instant change with a good tail kick.

What I use on all my heli with non CC ESC, is to put a delay in my TX throttle between different flight mode, in this way you will be able to make the change very slow between your flight mode, even slower than you need.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2013, 05:42 PM
Thread OP

ICE 100 head speed change rate malfunction

Yes, thank you Martin, I am aware of this, however what ever has been done since the 11 Jan has apparently sorted that particular problem which in my experience was inherent with firmware 3.27

Now, since the 11 Jan update the "initial spool-up rate" function has been altered and cannot be slowed for "scale use" to any slower than 6 seconds within its total range of 0-20. I have noticed however, although no where near slow enough, the consistency of the spool up is more linear, as graphing shows which is perhaps an improvement.

*The function of the ICE controllers and the inclusion of such features as the separate "head speed change rate" is often why they are purchased over other brands and should work as advertised - luck has nothing to do with it.

I understand the nature of improvements, however if software is going to be mucked about with, affecting these functions negatively then the purpose is lost.

This ESC was available nearly 9 years ago and it has these basic issues at this late stage, which is why under these circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to ask for a reasonable time frame for these things to be corrected. So far I am not amused by the "when it suits us and not you" attitude.
Last edited by Scott999; Jan 20, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
Jan 27, 2013, 05:38 PM
We want... Information!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott999
Now, since the 11 Jan update the "initial spool-up rate" function has been altered and cannot be slowed for "scale use" to any slower than 6 seconds within its total range of 0-20.
In testing my ICE75 I found that it wasn't that bad, but V4.02 definitely is not as slow as V3.27. With V3.27 I got an initial spool-up time of 19 seconds on rate 1, whereas with V40.2 it took 11 seconds (with either software version, using rate 0 did not slow it down any further).

I suspect that whatever change fixed your 'head speed change rate malfunction' problem has also affected the spool-up rate. Hopefully Castle's software engineers will sort this issue out soon, however in the mean time have you considered using simple governor mode instead, or even just using fixed endpoints with an appropriate throttle curve? Spool-up is much slower in these modes.
Jan 30, 2013, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott
In testing my ICE75 I found that it wasn't that bad, but V4.02 definitely is not as slow as V3.27. With V3.27 I got an initial spool-up time of 19 seconds on rate 1, whereas with V40.2 it took 11 seconds (with either software version, using rate 0 did not slow it down any further).

I suspect that whatever change fixed your 'head speed change rate malfunction' problem has also affected the spool-up rate. Hopefully Castle's software engineers will sort this issue out soon, however in the mean time have you considered using simple governor mode instead, or even just using fixed endpoints with an appropriate throttle curve? Spool-up is much slower in these modes.

Good info Bruce -- I've sent a link to this post to our software guys - -and I'll have them take a look ...

Thank you!

Patrick
Feb 02, 2013, 02:56 PM
Thread OP

Altered software

Thanks Bruce, I took your suggestion, and tried simple governor mode, setting up flat lines on idle 1 and idle 2 on my 8FG using a tach to get the target speeds.

This works fine if you have LiPos in identical condition, where differing battery conditions combined with the fixed throttle % from the Tx result in differing governed target rpms between one battery and another.

Using 4.02 in set rpm mode holds the pre-set rpms within reason pretty well whichever battery I use. I just do not have a soft start function any longer.

As previously mentioned, the other change noted in 4.02 was (although way too fast for a low(2) setting) the more "linear" rate of spool up, where 3.27 during the last 1/3 or so of spool up would speed up - as in the graph line would steepen sharply near the end of spool up before reaching target speed. This is an improvement, but as it would appear - at the expense of the overall slower spool up from 3.27

Patrick - I purchased this ESC for a scale model helicopter because I believed it to be able to provide a slow spool up, with a separate adjustable speed change between target governed speeds.

Given that this software is in all ICE controllers (including HV controllers) with some fitted to some large expensive scale helicopter models, can you please ask your software engineers for a reasonable time frame that these issues (including the graph viewing problem) will be corrected for us all please? - Under the circumstances during this thread, I don't believe this to be an unreasonable ask.
Last edited by Scott999; Feb 03, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
Feb 26, 2013, 02:52 AM
Thread OP

response please??

???
Feb 28, 2013, 02:56 AM
Scott

Is it possible to just load up an earlier firmware version that does not have this bug ?

All of my helis (incl 3 scale helis) run Ice ESCs (1x Ice 50, 2x Ice 75 & 2x Ice 2 80HV) with older versions, and they all spool up nice and slow (around 30-40 seconds), and change speed (done rarely and only in very small 50rpm increments) at a reasonable speed.

Colin
Feb 28, 2013, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Hi Colin, thank you very much for your reply - YES this is a good idea, and thank you for this suggestion - I did think of this, however with the two separate problems with two separate and late issue firmware versions (3.27 and now 4.02) I was reluctant to go back further only to find other problems hence the reason for later versions, with endless re-calibrating throttle end points each time etc.

Also, I felt that the Castle people could have made a suggestion as to just which earlier version or better still at least read the thread properly and reply to us all here on when the issues of late will in fact be resolved.

I seem to be ignored on the faults at this point for well over a month now the faults not being isolated to my set up or my "finite taste" personally (as was suggested)

Thanks again Colin, can you suggest a version you are having success with? 30-40 seconds with the ability to reduce this by higher settings between 0-20 sounds much more like it is supposed to work. Not 6 seconds on setting "Low 2" !
Last edited by Scott999; Mar 05, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Mar 02, 2013, 08:17 PM
My latest software (on my PC) is 3.41.1, downloaded in December 2011, so it is not a new version. I am a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

This would make it firmware 3.28 I think (I don't have a ESC handy right now to check). I have a suspicion that a couple of ESCs (like the bigger Ice 2 80HVs) may be even older because I got them in December 2011 during the big swap, and I don't think I have ever updated them.

You can try "Custom" and set it to 0 or 1. Set a slow "rate of change of speed" setting as well.

Colin
Mar 02, 2013, 08:33 PM
Thread OP

firmware version

Thanks Colin, I have noticed that there appears to have been a firmware version 3.28, however I also note that later link software does not then give and option between 3.27 and 4.02 and therefore I don't have access to 3.28.

Therefore I am still in the dark about which firmware version does not give PROBLEMS

The assumption is that if I go back too far then there is the chance of earlier problems, however there are some people (Castle) who will know exactly whats going on and they are not forthcoming on the matter.
This forum is rather pointless if the manufacturer cannot even take the time to reply usefully.

Currently the lower custom setting of 1 or 0 makes no difference to "Low 2" in version 4.02 (now non beta)

Thank you Colin for your time, would appreciate a confirmation on which firmware version your one is using sometime ?
Last edited by Scott999; Mar 05, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Mar 08, 2013, 03:56 AM
Castle does say that if you want a reliable response, it is better to contact their support line rather than use the forum.

I am not sure when I will be dragging a heli out - our club field was submerged under 6 feet of water 6 weeks ago, and still out of commission, so haven't flown for a while.

Colin
Mar 08, 2013, 04:04 AM
Thread OP

no response from Castle on a reasonable request.

Hi Colin, yes I realize this and have emailed directly with NO response other than the auto response which I received back last month on the 27th.

Sorry to hear your field is out of action!
Mar 08, 2013, 04:36 PM
Castle Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott999
Hi Colin, yes I realize this and have emailed directly with NO response other than the auto response which I received back last month on the 27th.

Sorry to hear your field is out of action!
Scott I spoke to Steve today and you had been e-mailing back and to with him... he had previously sent your information to engineering for them to review...Steve has been out this week.

I just read through this post and it was very confusing... Please email me an overview of the issue you are having with graphs (.csv ) and the settings file (.dat ) of your setup including all vehicle setup. I will email this directly to engineering to see if they can reproduce the issue... also include all testing info you have... Thanks in advance.

clint@castlecreations.com
Mar 10, 2013, 04:26 AM
Thread OP

ICE100 firmware faults

Hi Clint, Thank you, have emailed you some info.
I cannot speak for all others but I know 2 others who can confirm that the latest 4.02 (non beta) firmware on the lowest spool up setting is a lot faster than it was on 3.27, the times obviously varying between different heli set ups - mine being a very basic fly barred Align 600E set up.

Scott.

Quick Reply