Dec 15, 2012, 05:50 PM
Im not sure it is the problem here but best to eliminate all potential possibilities I say. Using the ESCs power for other components isn't the best idea usual. I certainly wouldn't risk it with an expensive rig like you have there. Buy yourself a separate regulator for powering the servos. Also make sure you have all wires properly shielded or use a ferrite choke on them to avoid any RF interference. Particularly on wires for transmitters, receivers and GPS should all have good shielding and I usually shield the wire from the power supply BEC as well. I suggest also solder all your bullet connectors if you already haven't done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archet
Unfortunately my experience with YS-X6 is not satisfactory until now, because another crash put me completely frustrated.
When I put a video link on my Sony video recorder CX730E and a 5.8 GHz transmitter, I saw that there was a high interference with the pitch servo. It reduced only when I put it far on one of the gimbal leg.
I had already flown the model few times with the video recorder on it, but without video link, and it was flying fine. This time, I started in GPS mode and it went up smoothly, but after few seconds I saw a first twitch and later it tilted almost 30° on one side and went down in that direction without control. Broke one propeller, a gimbal's leg and landing skid. I am very disappointed. Can the interference act also on the FC or ESCs? I am powering the pitch servo trough ESC's BEC (I took off the red wire from ESC connection to FC, but then I had no stabilization from the FC, so I connected again th red wire on three ESC's connection to power the Pitch servo). I am not using roll stabilization.
Here is the video of the crash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-_JPdb_C_s&feature=plcp
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
The user manual again is so badly written and is very confusing when it comes to the flight mode settings and I get very confusing info from the manual compared to what I see happening on the GCS. Please let me know if I have this following correct.

Depending on your RC if the switches are on top or on the front use the following legend . If on top ^ = away from you, v = towards you.

Switch position up or away from you = ^ Switch position centred = - Switch position down or towards you = v

Pos 1. CH5 ^ CH6 ^ Full manual control
Pos 2. CH5 ^ CH6 - Auto Hover using Barometer only
Pos 3. CH5 ^ CH6 v Auto Hover using Barometer only (same as Pos2.) ???
Pos 4. CH5 - CH6 ^ Full manual control (same as Pos 1? or what?.)
Pos 5. CH5 - CH6 - Auto Hover using Barometer only ???
Pos 6. CH5 - CH6 v Auto Navigation using uploaded way points etc ???
Pos 7. CH5 v CH6 ^ Full manual control
Pos 8 CH5 v CH6 - Auto Hover using Barometer and GPS???
Pos 9 CH5 v CH6 v Return to home and land

Where I have put ??? are the ones I am mostly confused about. From what I see there are only 5 modes but please correct me if I am wrong.

Can someone enter the correct stick positions after the following?

Mode 1 Manual. Full manual flight control =
Mode 2 Auto hover . Only uses baro to maintain altitude with no GPS influence =
Mode 3 Postion Hold . Holds altitude and position using GPS and Barometer =
Mode 4 Auto Navigation. For using auto flight control from PC/Phone GCS with up loaded way points etc =
Mode 5 Back Fly Home. Flies back to launch position and lands. =

Turn Motors off after Auto Home and Land =

Another confusing instruction is for Mode 5 it suggest CH6 needs to be switched to potion 2 to be able to turn of the motors. But no mention where CH6 switch position should be in. Wouldn't this be it just needs to be put in manual mode and it could be either Position 2 or 1 for CH5?

Lastly for using the GCS controls app is the following sequence correct?

Switch RC Tx to Mode 2 Auto Hover or Mode 3 Position Hold using Baro and GPS?
Enable Phone control or Enable "ALL" on Phone control ?

Is this order correct or should it be the other way round?

Disable RC. Is it necessary to disable the RC to use the App controller for it to work?
To regain full RC control I assume just switch CH5 to Mode 1 or 2 manual mode? CH6 can be in any position?
If the RC is switched to Pos 5 Back Fly to Home will the RC override the Phone app? If RC not disabled I assume it would? If disabled assume it wouldn't?

Thanks in advance for any help here
Last edited by SkippyTBK; Dec 15, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Dec 16, 2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtech
Here are the 3DR (ground) to wifi module diagrams...
Hi amtech. I had to swop the Tx and Rx around from your circuit diagram, and then it worked. Maybe the 3DR I got from RCTimer is different. Anyway, here is the circuit of the unit I got. I also set it up so I was supplying power through the USB. Made life a lot easier only having to solder only 2 of those small connections, instead of 4

All I must do now is try and increase the range because as it is now I can only get about 40m on the ground.
Last edited by robone; Dec 16, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Dec 16, 2012, 08:53 AM
Hello I want to ask ZERO UAV, a question, I just bought a new PC running Windovs 8, I wanted to know if it is possible to have a GCS interface for Windows 8
Koleos
Dec 16, 2012, 12:00 PM

Modes of ch5 & ch6

To SkipyTBK,
For what I can understand you have not to take into account ch6 when ch5 is in position 1 "manual" (switch up) or position 2 "stabilization mode" (switch at center).
In these two positions the switch for channel 6 doesn't work at all.
Only when channel 5 is in position 3 "GPS Mode" (switch down) can you take channel 6 switch into account.
With channel 5 in this position ("GPS Mode"), position 1 of channel 6 (switch up) is for auto hovering (altitude and position hold), position 2 of channel 6 (Switch at center) is for Auto navigation/waypoint and position 3 of channel 6 (switch down) is for Auto returning home.

Regarding the way to cut off motors, I had few problems when flying in GPS mode Auto hovering and had a crash, because motors were keeping running for a while with the system capsized and throttle to zero, destroying propellers and motors.
The way to immediately cut off motors in that condition is to go back in manual mode (channel 5 in position 1), and of course throttle to zero!.
Dec 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koleos
Hello I want to ask ZERO UAV, a question, I just bought a new PC running Windovs 8, I wanted to know if it is possible to have a GCS interface for Windows 8
Koleos
I dont think so. You have to find a way for the computer to run windows 7 program. But let's hear the answer from Zero.
Dec 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK
The user manual again is so badly written and is very confusing when it comes to the flight mode settings and I get very confusing info from the manual compared to what I see happening on the GCS. Please let me know if I have this following correct.

Depending on your RC if the switches are on top or on the front use the following legend . If on top ^ = away from you, v = towards you.

Switch position up or away from you = ^ Switch position centred = - Switch position down or towards you = v

Pos 1. CH5 ^ CH6 ^ Full manual control
Pos 2. CH5 ^ CH6 - Auto Hover using Barometer only
Pos 3. CH5 ^ CH6 v Auto Hover using Barometer only (same as Pos2.) ???
Pos 4. CH5 - CH6 ^ Full manual control (same as Pos 1? or what?.)
Pos 5. CH5 - CH6 - Auto Hover using Barometer only ???
Pos 6. CH5 - CH6 v Auto Navigation using uploaded way points etc ???
Pos 7. CH5 v CH6 ^ Full manual control
Pos 8 CH5 v CH6 - Auto Hover using Barometer and GPS???
Pos 9 CH5 v CH6 v Return to home and land

Where I have put ??? are the ones I am mostly confused about. From what I see there are only 5 modes but please correct me if I am wrong.

Can someone enter the correct stick positions after the following?

Mode 1 Manual. Full manual flight control =
Mode 2 Auto hover . Only uses baro to maintain altitude with no GPS influence =
Mode 3 Postion Hold . Holds altitude and position using GPS and Barometer =
Mode 4 Auto Navigation. For using auto flight control from PC/Phone GCS with up loaded way points etc =
Mode 5 Back Fly Home. Flies back to launch position and lands. =

Turn Motors off after Auto Home and Land =

Another confusing instruction is for Mode 5 it suggest CH6 needs to be switched to potion 2 to be able to turn of the motors. But no mention where CH6 switch position should be in. Wouldn't this be it just needs to be put in manual mode and it could be either Position 2 or 1 for CH5?

Lastly for using the GCS controls app is the following sequence correct?

Switch RC Tx to Mode 2 Auto Hover or Mode 3 Position Hold using Baro and GPS?
Enable Phone control or Enable "ALL" on Phone control ?

Is this order correct or should it be the other way round?

Disable RC. Is it necessary to disable the RC to use the App controller for it to work?
To regain full RC control I assume just switch CH5 to Mode 1 or 2 manual mode? CH6 can be in any position?
If the RC is switched to Pos 5 Back Fly to Home will the RC override the Phone app? If RC not disabled I assume it would? If disabled assume it wouldn't?

Thanks in advance for any help here
skippy,

flight mode is way more simple than what you've written in the above post.

Flight mode is controlled by two channels: Ch 5 and Ch 6. Both of these channels should be assigned to a three-way switch: Pos 1, 2 and 3.

Ch 6 will only work if Ch 5 is in the GPS mode (pos.3).

Ch 5 governs the basic flight mode:
Pos 1 semi-manual mode without altitude hold.
Pos 2 semi-manual mode with altitude hold.
Pos 3 GPS mode

Note: I said it's semi-manual because the accelerometer will still be working in Pos 1 and Pos 2 so the copter will not flip or be suitable to perform aerobatic stuffs.

Functions govern by the channel 6 will only be activated if channel 5 is in pos 3.
Here's the run down for Ch 6 functions:
Pos 1 -> neutral position, keep ch 6 on pos 1 if you dont want to activate the advance functions of the FC, which is:
Pos 2 -> waypoint mode
Pos 3 -> return to home

As per the later firmwares, you can activate 360" target lock by flipping the switch of your Ch 6 several times. You can also activate carefree by flipping certain switch several times. Please consult the quick start guide as attached in this post.
Dec 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
Fajar thanks so much for you help on this, its very much appreciated.

Firstly I do realise the flight modes are not so complex and i have all the switches setup correctly so no issue there, however the instructions in the user manual make it impossible to figure out what does what. So the issue is more about confusion and very poor translation from the manual and compared to what I see being activated on the GCS when I flip the switches rather than the system it self.

For example why does it advise to switch CH5 to position 2 so the motors can be disabled? Just make is simple and advise it to be switched back into manual would make more sense. After all there isn't anywhere it states what this does or does not do in this position. Some may assume its a switch position to turn off the motors when its really just putting it back to manual mode which it will do also if switching CH5 to position 1.

I mean ti easy now for you becasue you already know how it works, but seriously go take a look at page 19 on the manual and tell me how any of this is easy to understand or make any sense of?. The manual is rubbish and I see most of the issues on this forum are in most part due to poor understanding because of the manual.

This is not an open-source community based project and its suppose to be out of the box click and go, but the documentation is even much worse than such a project would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajar
skippy,

Flight mode is controlled by two channels: Ch 5 and Ch 6. Both of these channels should be assigned to a three-way switch: Pos 1, 2 and 3.

Pos 3 GPS mode

Note: I said it's semi-manual because the accelerometer will still be working in Pos 1 and Pos 2 so the copter will not flip or be suitable to perform aerobatic stuffs.

Functions govern by the channel 6 will only be activated if channel 5 is in pos 3.
Pos 1 -> neutral position, keep ch 6 on pos 1 if you dont want to activate the advance functions of the FC, which is:
Pos 2 -> waypoint mode
Pos 3 -> return to home

As per the later firmwares, you can activate 360" target lock by flipping the switch of your Ch 6 several times. You can also activate carefree by flipping certain switch several times. Please consult the quick start guide as attached in this post.
Dec 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Fajar thanks so much for you help on this, its very much appreciated.

Firstly I do realise the flight modes are not so complex and i have all the switches setup correctly so no issue there, however the instructions in the user manual make it impossible to figure out what does what. So the issue is more about confusion and very poor translation from the manual and compared to what I see being activated on the GCS when I flip the switches rather than the system it self.

For example why does it advise to switch CH5 to position 2 so the motors can be disabled? Just make is simple and advise it to be switched back into manual would make more sense. After all there isn't anywhere it states what this does or does not do in this position. Some may assume its a switch position to turn off the motors when its really just putting it back to manual mode which it will do also if switching CH5 to position 1.

I mean ti easy now for you becasue you already know how it works, but seriously go take a look at page 19 on the manual and tell me how any of this is easy to understand or make any sense of?. The manual is rubbish and I see most of the issues on this forum are in most part due to poor understanding because of the manual.

This is not an open-source community based project and its suppose to be out of the box click and go, but the documentation is even much worse than such a project would have.
yours is a valid concern. But I dont agree that the manual is rubbish. It's chinglish yeah but not completely useless. I would say that zero would help new users a great deal if they make the manual and the guide in proper english.

Try MK, another great FC with arguably an even poorer manual than the YS-X6. The good thing about YS-X6 is that this forum is very helpful to anyone. Plus, if you purchase your stuff from a good YS dealer, not just from some oriental dealers, you'd get great support directly from the dealer. I can purchase my stuffs from a certain dealer and they do sell their stuffs cheaper than the dealers in Oz or the US. But couldn't expect those oriental webshops to provide good customer support.

I suppose most people with enough RC experience will find themselves a bit challenged by the manual but nevertheless it will be of great use for them to setup and run their machines properly.

On another note, a mate of mine plays around with his WKM in the local park last weekend. It's pretty cool that he can use his laptop to do waypoints, use joystick to control his quad, perform auto take off etc. But I'm grateful that the YS-X6 uses tablet/ smartphone as a GCS so that I dont have to carry around bulky laptop and mouse just to use the advance features of the FC.
Dec 17, 2012, 03:50 AM
Thread OP

GCS for Windows 8

Quote:
Koleos
Quote:
I dont think so. You have to find a way for the computer to run windows 7 program. But let's hear the answer from Zero.
YS-X6 supports the GCS interface for Windows 8. And Windows 8 users can download the driving programme as below to have a try.
Dec 17, 2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Hello Fajar, since zero responded to my request, so there is an interface for windows 8
Dec 17, 2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Hello Fajar, since zero responded to my request, so there is an interface for windows 8
Yes, good news for win 8 users...
Dec 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
When Ch5 is in position 3 and Ch6 in position 1 what happens? I assume barometer and GPS hold for position and altitude is active.?

Quote:
skippy,

Pos 3 GPS mode

Pos 2 -> waypoint mode
Pos 3 -> return to home

Dec 17, 2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
When Ch5 is in position 3 and Ch6 in position 1 what happens? I assume barometer and GPS hold for position and altitude is active.?
yes
Dec 18, 2012, 03:20 AM
Thread OP
The configuration of WIFI communication modes has been updated, which is more simple for users, so if necessary you can change the WIFI module between router mode and point-to-point mode.
Router Mode: router is used as the transfer station between Phone and WIFI
Point-to-Point Mode: WIFI module directly communicates with Phone, so other transfer device such as router is no need.
Please configurate your wifi according to the video shown as below:
WIFI ConfigurationNew (3 min 3 sec)
Last edited by Zero UAV; Dec 18, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply