This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 02, 2011, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUsurfer View Post
It's cool. I'm not trying to be harsh on you, and I'm sorry you feel that I am. You just seem like you're in a hurry to get a FPV system on order, and I'm suggesting that you need to relax a bit, and take some time to do your homework (i.e.- skim through the previous 59 pages, and some of the better threads in this forum as well) so that you can make an informed decision.

I spent a full two weeks reading these forums before even posting in here, and then another several weeks before ordering my beginner FPV setup. It really is the best way to do it.
That`s what I`m willin to do too in the near future, after my exames
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2011, 03:04 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
Hi Cliff,
Thanks for your reply, will take your advice on the USB capture device, I was thinking about having another camera but I canned that.

I was only looking at the 100 mW because of the low power, I dont know at this stage what the rules are

Been reading IBcrazys thread with interest, A CP antena would actualy look like a scale feature on my boat

Cheers
Nick
Hi Nick

I use a portable DVD recorder (reccommended by another Aussie fpv'er), real user friendly and being 12v runs of a 3S lipo... and very very clear recordings

If you play legally, have a peek at the Aussie FPV thread here, go back a few pages, there's been some recent banter on legal frequencies & transmission power.

I've been using 5.8ghz vid lately but flying only, very easy to set up.
Have a glance at a youtube footage on my blog, that was 5.8 on standard 2dbi antennas plane & GS, but also an 8dbi patch & Oracle diversity.
Perhaps a more directional antenna may help, i have no knowledge on transmission over water.
I have no idea what 5.8g will be like on the water, as Cliff mentioned, lotsa reflection/ absorbsion on water i am sure.
But using ibcrazy's CP antennas would go a long way to improve reception.
I've recently thrown on a clover leaf on the plane & skew planner wheel at the ground station Rx, and the difference is like chalk and cheese. These antennas are known to reject multipathing, could well be worth a go... at least you're on the water so there's no heights to fall from

if you're near to Brisvegas we could cross paths some time, easier to see than type otherwise ask in the Aussie fpv thread, a great bunch of guys

cheers
Hoppy
Jun 02, 2011, 04:29 AM

Advice Needed Please

Hey Fellow Pilots,

After countless hours of reading... and learning of course... I think I am ready to take the plunge into FPV! Before I swipe my credit card and become several hundred dollars poorer, I figured it may be a good idea to get feedback from my online family to find out if I'm on the right track. Here are the items I'd like to go with:

Radio: Futaba 9C
Plane: Skywalker V3 + Motor/ESC Combo from BEVRC
http://www.bevrc.com/skywalker-168cm...dhl-p-243.html

Tx/Rx: BEV 1.3G 800mW VS. BEV 1.3G 1500mW
I need help deciding between the two. It would be nice to get the added range on the 1500mw but how much will that reduce my run time due to the added power consumption?
http://www.bevrc.com/bev-13g-800mw-p-52.html
vs.
http://www.bevrc.com/bev-13g-1500mw-p-82.html

Goggles: Fatshark
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15128
Note: I noticed these goggles don’t come with a antenna…. Is this normal? I intend on adding head tracking down the road…. Will these goggles suffice?

What about the head play goggles? How do they compare to the fatsharks?

Camera: 690TVL HD Ultra WDR Pixim SEAWOLF Sensor chip OSD Camera 3.6mm lens
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr....6mm-lens.html

Will this camera be a good compliment to the rest of the setup?

Anything I’m missing?

Should I be running the servos on a UBEC? If yes, which one would you recommend?

ANY feedback is greatly appreciated folks!
Many Thanks in Advance
Jun 02, 2011, 07:32 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Hey Fellow Pilots,

After countless hours of reading... and learning of course... I think I am ready to take the plunge into FPV! Before I swipe my credit card and become several hundred dollars poorer, I figured it may be a good idea to get feedback from my online family to find out if I'm on the right track. Here are the items I'd like to go with:

Radio: Futaba 9Cgreat radio. Is it 72mhz?

Plane: Skywalker V3 + Motor/ESC Combo from BEVRC
http://www.bevrc.com/skywalker-168cm...dhl-p-243.html
again a good choice. Great for range. The choice of motor is important as you can really hot it up for some faster flying.
Tx/Rx: BEV 1.3G 800mW VS. BEV 1.3G 1500mW
I need help deciding between the two. It would be nice to get the added range on the 1500mw but how much will that reduce my run time due to the added power consumption?
http://www.bevrc.com/bev-13g-800mw-p-52.html
vs.
http://www.bevrc.com/bev-13g-1500mw-p-82.html

get the 800mw for a few reasons. less power he is good. more power can create interference and more hassel. I use 5.8ghz 200mw and can go out 3.6 miles. It is all in the antenna. If you are really wanting range then get a lawmate receiver. then again you won't need that range for a long time. 800mw is prefect

Note: I noticed these goggles don’t come with a antenna…. Is this normal? I intend on adding head tracking down the road…. Will these goggles suffice?
don't get headsplay as they can break. fatshark are good for everyday use. these are base googles so they plug into you main station.
What about the head play goggles? How do they compare to the fatsharks?

Anything I’m missing?

Should I be running the servos on a UBEC? If yes, which one would you recommend? YES!! get one that can take at least 3A. a 7A is better. I like hobbywing ones but hobbyking have the same re-banded.
You will need an OSD if you are thinking of range. Personally you dont really need one at the start as you fly around yourself but within a few weeks I am sure you will with that bird you are looking at flying with. I run a skywalkler type plane (in fibreglass and it is a hot fast damn thing) I use the $13 hobbyking osd that just shows voltage. I don't try to get lost to often

ANY feedback is greatly appreciated folks!
Many Thanks in Advance
Hope all that helps.
Jun 02, 2011, 12:13 PM
Gravity - It's the law
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Hi Nick

I use a portable DVD recorder (reccommended by another Aussie fpv'er), real user friendly and being 12v runs of a 3S lipo... and very very clear recordings

cheers
Hoppy
Would you care to share the model number and Brand?

Yabba
Jun 02, 2011, 12:16 PM
efx
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
And what fiberglass airplane are you using? What osd are you using... Links please...
Jun 02, 2011, 01:53 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
And what fiberglass airplane are you using? What osd are you using... Links please...
this is the plane but with flaps built in. I have version 1.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15236
and it has on it
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16662

I also fly a twinstar2 and this is the one I do my range testing on. This has a lot more gear on it.
Jun 02, 2011, 02:05 PM
Whakahere,
Thanks for the response.
1) yes, the Futaba is 72mhz.... I have a Corona Rx and a Futaba Synthesized as well... which one should I go for to get better range?
2) Which power setup would you recommend for the skywalker? I want something that I can run for a while and not worry about it over heating.
3) You mentioned lawmate Rx.... can you please provide a links for both a lawmate Tx and lawmate Rx that you would recommend?
4) You mentioned the fatsharks plugging in directly to my station - were you referring to them plugging in directly to the Rx or my Futaba? Sorry, a little confused as I'm still trying to get my feet wet. Thanks.
Jun 02, 2011, 06:04 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Quote:
Whakahere,
Thanks for the response.
1) yes, the Futaba is 72mhz.... I have a Corona Rx and a Futaba Synthesized as well... which one should I go for to get better range? I didn't get great range from my corona but many people have. best you can do is range test both out.

2) Which power setup would you recommend for the skywalker? I want something that I can run for a while and not worry about it over heating.head to the skywalker thread. They can give you better advice there. I fly a fireglass version while it is the same frame the weight is different so the power system needs to be different as well.

3) You mentioned lawmate Rx.... can you please provide a links for both a lawmate Tx and lawmate Rx that you would recommend?readmaderc or http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....=index&cPath=1 both are respected sellers

4) You mentioned the fatsharks plugging in directly to my station - were you referring to them plugging in directly to the Rx or my Futaba? Sorry, a little confused as I'm still trying to get my feet wet. Thanks.no, faseshark base has no receiver on them so you plug them into the video receiver. You can get fatshark with the receiver built in and therefore no need for a base station. down side of that is you can't add long range antennas as easy.
hope that helps
Jun 02, 2011, 06:29 PM
efx
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Thanks, that gives me an idea of what's being used since I know nothing about fpv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
this is the plane but with flaps built in. I have version 1.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15236
and it has on it
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16662

I also fly a twinstar2 and this is the one I do my range testing on. This has a lot more gear on it.
Jun 02, 2011, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Hey Fellow Pilots,

Goggles: I personally like my laptop display and tend to tell people that if they have a working WinXP laptop, then the EasyCap video to USB converter is a good cheap starter for $7 (later version for Windows 7 or 64 bit costs more). Taking off goggles and putting them on in an emergency takes time and takes fingers away from transmitter sticks. It seems to me that a beginner does better the first few flights by flying the airplane normally and glancing down at the display more and more often. You will need to put the laptop or just the display part of it in a cardboard box to keep sunlight out. Cut a face sized hole in the end to look through. Some kinds of goggles require shade too like a sack over your head.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3985012

Camera: Wow, I have always wanted a Pixim and that one has OSD and claims 690TVL for under $100. That could just be the best SD camera that can be bought for FPV bar none.

Cliff
Jun 02, 2011, 07:05 PM
Clueless, but trying
Is there any chance ODUsurfer, or TheotherCliff could post a picture of their set up with reference notes on the shopping list and how it's wired together?

From Cliff's post on page 39: "If you wanted to try building your own system on 1280mhz, you could do it for more like $120. OSD Camera (no case, 3.6mm lens) FPV link battery battery connector bnc to rca adapter"

The shopping list is easy to follow, and I have carefully studied ODUsurfer's pic of his Radian Pro from page 52... but it's still not clear in my mind how you went from shopping list to driving around the block while sitting in your living room

I'm back to the hobby after about a 5 year absence. This new aspect of the hobby is absolutely thrilling... but I want to do it right (read:small steps over a long time). Conceptually I think I'm almost there, but understanding the process ODUSurfer took would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Oz
Jun 02, 2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Camera: Wow, I have always wanted a Pixim and that one has OSD and claims 690TVL for under $100. That could just be the best SD camera that can be bought for FPV bar none.

Cliff
I also found this one:
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-OSD-Menu.html

Would you go with the one I mentioned before or this one?
Jun 02, 2011, 10:08 PM

72mhz RC receiver range comparison

I got around to range testing several 72mhz RC receivers and longer receiver antennas last weekend and here are the results. Testing was all done against a Futaba T7UAPS transmitter on channel 56.

Range with this transmitter is generally 200m-300m with the antenna completely collapsed, so during each test I collapsed the transmitter antenna and attempted to climb to the highest altitude possible with the same underpowered electric glider. I attempted to estimate the altitude I got. I am more certain that receiver1 went farther than receiver2 than I am that receiver1 went XXX meters.

Distances with a plus sign (+) after them means I gave up and came down even though I still had control.

The most important lesson to be learned here for FPVers is that increasing your Rx antenna length to 1600mm (I used 1900mm for no reason other than that is what I cut) about doubles your range. This is basically verifies the effect that Mr RC-CAM's antenna test page talks about. This effect has now been verified with both Futaba R148DP and GWS Pico receivers.

Another thing I would like to point out is an opinion that PCM is a two edged sword for FPV. In conditions of interference, it allows you to fly with little more than vanishingly short lockouts, but if you fly in a straight line and get out of range without any control change, you could be way out of range before you know it. This is a bit more likely to happen with PCM than with normal PPM. I still would take the PCM over PPM.

Code:
Futaba R127DF FM  - stock 1100mm antenna - 150m 200m
Futaba R148DP PCM - stock 1000mm antenna - 190m high band xtal low band rx
Futaba R148DP PCM - stock 1000mm antenna - 200m
Futaba R148DP PCM - non-stock 1900mm ant - 400m+ gave up
Corona RP6D1  FM  - stock 1000mm antenna - 200m
Fut. R3090DPS PCM - stock 1100mm antenna - 300m+ gave up, same plane different day
Futaba R129DP PCM - stock 1100mm antenna - 325m different plane and day
Corona RP8D1  FM  - non stock 1100mm ant - 275m different plane and day
The R127DF was disappointing. This model of receiver glitches close to max range as opposed to "locking out" like the PCM receivers and even the FM (DSP) Corona RP8D1. I have several other R127DF's and will probably test several to see if they are all the same. EDIT: There appears to have been interference present during my R127DF test flight. Flying that R127DF a different day gave a better result.

The range appears to have more than doubled by going to 1900mm. This goes just slightly against the chart that Mr RC-Cam wrote up. There are several possible reasons for this:
- Futaba receivers are loaded differently than the GWS Pico he used.
- The long metal control rods in the airplane affected the range.
- My measurements were wrong.
- His measurements were wrong. Doubtful.

There is some margin of error in these numbers. These tests were made between a police building and a cell tower. All tests were done with no other RC transmitter turned on. I verified that the distance did not change even if another 72mhz RC transmitter was turned on with antenna extended. I will attempt to get more accurate numbers and repost in the not so near future.

I may try to find the length of antenna that gives the longest reception with several of my Futaba receivers.

Cliff
Last edited by TheOtherCliff; Jun 14, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Jun 02, 2011, 10:09 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcoz View Post
Is there any chance ODUsurfer, or TheotherCliff could post a picture of their set up with reference notes on the shopping list and how it's wired together?

From Cliff's post on page 39: "If you wanted to try building your own system on 1280mhz, you could do it for more like $120. OSD Camera (no case, 3.6mm lens) FPV link battery battery connector bnc to rca adapter"

The shopping list is easy to follow, and I have carefully studied ODUsurfer's pic of his Radian Pro from page 52... but it's still not clear in my mind how you went from shopping list to driving around the block while sitting in your living room

I'm back to the hobby after about a 5 year absence. This new aspect of the hobby is absolutely thrilling... but I want to do it right (read:small steps over a long time). Conceptually I think I'm almost there, but understanding the process ODUSurfer took would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Oz
Hey Oz,

So, um... what do you want to know?

If you wanna know what I did, I first bought all that stuff that Cliff recommended. (minus the battery and battery connectors, I have lots of LiPos already, as well as lots of Deans Plugs I used) So that leaves the camera, FPV link, and the bnc to rca adapter.

Once you get everything, you can immediately put everything together to make sure everything is working. Plug the camera into the Vtx (via the BNC to RCA adapter), and plug the Vrx into any TV via RCA cord, and then use the (2) AC adapters to power them both up. It goes together pretty easy.

After that, it takes a bit of work to apply everything to RC though:
  • Gotta take the gold case off the Vtx. That's nothing too major, just 8 screws, and it pushes right out.
  • You need to put some sort of cover on the camera. I personally used two small squares of bluecor foam insulation (bought by the sheet from Lowes, great for scratch building) on the front and the back, with a couple flat pieces of balsa wood epoxied around the outside. I then took a sanding block to the front foam block, and tried to make it a little aerodynamic.
  • After that, you need to get power to the Vtx. (red plug) The unit comes with an AC adapter that plugs into it. You can keep the plug on there, and just solder some sort of battery connection onto the other connector (mine was a deans), and then run that to your battery compartment. Or you can just lop it off, and solder the power wire directly to a battery connector. Up to you.

Once you do that, you just gotta get everything on the plane... and how you do that depends heavily on preference, and the type of plane you're using. (Me running around the block was just me velcro-ing the Vtx and camera on my Traxxas Rustler, lol)

Hope it helps!

Quick Reply