Jan 13, 2012, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

which tank?

i have been reading on these 1/16 scale bad boys...im having trouble trying to find the pros and cons of some the tamiya models. other questions like speed duarability are there places that answer that kind of thing. i like them all but not which to get...
any advice would be greatful
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
Is there a certain one you are interested in?
Are you intending it for casual running or heavy IR battling?
The answers to these questions could help decide the model to go with.
Jan 17, 2012, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
just casual runningat first but i would like to start battling if posible im sure....i wouldnt like buy a second one if i didnt need to
Jan 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
Semper Fi

Which Tank?

If you are planning on battling, check with the nearest club that battles and see what they are running as far as a battle circuit is concerned. HL/Mato and Tamyia do not like each other and do not play well. If you get a tank, the HL are the cheapest, but ofter have other problems from some dealers. Tamyia tanks are high quality kits that you put together and are also much more expensive. IMO the best place to get a HL is from Phil at rctankwars.com and the best place to get a Tamyia is from Karen at aaftankmuseum.com
Jan 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
Just get a Tamiya Pershing as your first Tamiya tank. Not many upgrades are needed for this tank (it already has gear downs and an aluminum barrel) so after that you can decide what you think you want to replace on it or which Tamiya tank to buy next.

The Sherman and Tiger I are probably the easiest to build right out of the box, but the Sherman will need an idler wheel update in the near future and the Tiger like the Sherman does not have an aluminum barrel.

All depends if you like Axis or Allied tanks. Do a Google or Yahoo search for those labeled images to see what you might come up with. I have most of all the Tamiya tanks (except the Leopard, KV's and the PIV). You might even like the newer Super Sherman tank. Pretty long aluminum barrel, recoil and more! Plus all Tamiya tanks are easy to install the battle system during or after the build. Just depending on which you like the best!

HTH

~ Jeff
Jan 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
i like the tamiya tanks, can the track be upgraded to the metal?, alos i am not sure of what clubs are in my area....on a side not which of the tamiya tanks(that are available) is the cream of the crop?

p.s. thanks you guys for all yr input
Jan 17, 2012, 02:02 PM
Semper Fi
There is a listing of clubs somewhere. Where are you located?
Jan 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
I believe all have at least one type of metal tracks available.

As far as the "cream of the crop"? The Leopard 2 A6 is suppose to be a very advanced kit, but it doesn't fit into the WWII theme. I enjoyed (as I did all of them) building the Pershing the best so far. It's tight space for the electronics and intricate suspension can be challenging.

Where at in CA are you located?

~ Jeff
Jan 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
Semper Fi
I also have enjoyed my Tamyia tanks. Best place to get them is going to be from Karen at the aaftankmuseum.com.
Jan 17, 2012, 02:15 PM
The GreenAmphibian is talking about (again) this place http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/ and is 100% correct about Tamiya.

~ Jeff
Last edited by Panther F; Jan 17, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Jan 17, 2012, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
im in riverside cali
Jan 17, 2012, 04:28 PM
Semper Fi
I do sound like a broken record don't I. But then again when your good your good. They ship there also.
Jan 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailo01
im in riverside cali
There are a few members here from California. Hopefully they are close and you can attend a battle someday.

~ Jeff
Jan 17, 2012, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
when i purchase these like pershing are there any upgrades i need to get...i was reading that gears tend to slip, trannys?
also can these run on lipos or even brushless systems?
Jan 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailo01
when i purchase these like pershing are there any upgrades i need to get...i was reading that gears tend to slip, trannys?
also can these run on lipos or even brushless systems?
No Sir! No gears slipping at all in a Tamiya tank, let alone in a Pershing. It could stand the aftermarket track adjuster (only because the SCHUMO part has more adjustable slots in it) but all in all the tank needs nothing.

As far as Lipos? That's your call. And the brushed motors are just fine.

~ Jeff

Quick Reply